Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

RosyLily wrote: »
    Lady Gaga is releasing her own line of makeup. Small collection of lip gloss, lip liner and eyeshadow powder in different shades. I pre-ordered the Haus of Goddess set (€52) - the colours are along the champagne/peach line. Not shipping til September so it'll be a nice surprise as I'll probably have forgotten about it. Free international shipping on all pre-orders which I thought was pretty good!

Where did you order from? Just to have a browse ye know....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm loathe to admit it, but I got the new SoSue/Terrie McEvoy tan as a gift and its hands down the best tan I've ever used.

I love a very dark tan, and my usual go to would be between 4/5 layers (don't judge :o) of the BPerfect Ultra Dark 10 second mousse.

I put on ONE layer of the SoSueXTerrie on Friday night.
    The immediate colour payoff was very light, and while it wasn't unpleasant in texture or smell, it certainly had an almost filmy finish on the skin which didn't look good.
    I wasn't impressed and decided to leave it till the morning to apply any more layers...I woke up the next morning with an extremely dark, olive toned tan that looked so natural. It was like a real suntan, and only one layer achieved that result!

Its wearing off beautifully, no tiger bread patchy skin as of yet. Normally by this stage of the week I look like I have fish sclaes for skin but its fading gradually and natually thus far.
    I'm very very impressed, the bottle is huge and only €10, which is a steal! I'd highly recommend it to anyone thinking of buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I bought a Fenty Lip Paint a while back, I’ve only gotten to try it out recently. It is very liquidy but it dries beautifully and lasts hours through eating and drinking with absolutely no transfer. It did bleed slightly and that was with a lip liner so I’ll have to play around a bit to sort that. But I’m in love.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I bought a Fenty Lip Paint a while back, I’ve only gotten to try it out recently. It is very liquidy but it dries beautifully and lasts hours through eating and drinking with absolutely no transfer. It did bleed slightly and that was with a lip liner so I’ll have to play around a bit to sort that. But I’m in love.

I haven't had much luck with the Fenty Lip Paint, I have it in shade Stunna. Do you just apply straight from the brush? I tried it a few times with a different brush even, but just can't get it to look good!

Definitely ditch the lip liner, didn't work for me or a pal either, looked sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Where did you order from? Just to have a browse ye know....:cool:

Haus Labs website. They've an Instagram page if you want to have a look as well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Treated myself to the Maybelline Dream urban cover foundation and used it today but wasn’t completely gone on it. Used my (clean) fingers to apply it over my moisturiser but found after about an hour it didn’t look great around my nose or chin, and I don’t really have oily skin. I use the La Roche Posay Effaclear BB mousse and that looks nice when I apply it with my fingers.

Do you need to use a primer underneath? I normally use one whenever I wear my full coverage foundation for going out but didn’t really think I’d need one under this as a daytime foundation. I also normally use a beauty blender to apply foundation but got a new foundation brush to use with this to see if it makes a difference. The colour matches me perfectly so I really want to give it a few more goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Treated myself to the Maybelline Dream urban cover foundation and used it today but wasn’t completely gone on it. Used my (clean) fingers to apply it over my moisturiser but found after about an hour it didn’t look great around my nose or chin, and I don’t really have oily skin. I use the La Roche Posay Effaclear BB mousse and that looks nice when I apply it with my fingers.

Do you need to use a primer underneath? I normally use one whenever I wear my full coverage foundation for going out but didn’t really think I’d need one under this as a daytime foundation. I also normally use a beauty blender to apply foundation but got a new foundation brush to use with this to see if it makes a difference. The colour matches me perfectly so I really want to give it a few more goes.

It applies best for me with a dense buffing foundation brush. If applied with fingers or beauty blender with no primer then it kind of slid around.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

I've bought two tubes of this in different shades and love it. I do use primer and strobe cream on my cheeks (but do that with any foundation), applied using Real Techniques stippling brush and buff it well in. I'm oily so also applied powder on top and have to say it has worked a dream for me.

I tried it again yesterday with primer and a flat topped foundation brush and really buffed it in well and put powder on top, but I had the same problem. It looked awful after about two hours. I have a bit of a break out at the moment but I don’t have this problem with any other of my foundations.
    I guess it just doesn’t suit me at all, which is such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I tried it again yesterday with primer and a flat topped foundation brush and really buffed it in well and put powder on top, but I had the same problem. It looked awful after about two hours. I have a bit of a break out at the moment but I don’t have this problem with any other of my foundations.
    I guess it just doesn’t suit me at all, which is such a shame.

It doesn't work for me either, I tried it for a while, my foundation never looked right, just chalky and streaky!
    I'm back to my good old Catrice and I love it :)

• Advertisement

I feel the need to treat myself to the new UD Stay Naked foundation - got a sample from the Grafton St shop yesterday and its really lovely. I am countering it by binning/rehoming my HUDA Faux Filter which is hideous on me and I hate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I feel the need to treat myself to the new UD Stay Naked foundation - got a sample from the Grafton St shop yesterday and its really lovely. I am countering it by binning/rehoming my HUDA Faux Filter which is hideous on me and I hate

Oh god, what does hilarious mean? I've kinda wanted to try the Huda product but am also trying not to add to my pile of under utilised foundations. I also worry it might be too heavy.... too focused on being great for Instagram but maybe not ideal for walking around in real life.

just rebought DoubleWear but trying a slightly different shade. I've bought 1W1 Bone, as opposed to my ususal 1N2 Ecru. It looks lighter and cooler even though Ecru is Neutral and Bone is Warm, but they look the oppose to me! but maybe thats because my bottle of Ecru is old and empty.

I must be using it on and off for the guts of 15 years so am thinking I should just stick to it and stop trying every new foundation that hits the market!

^I really love the Huda faux filter, I've repurchased twice since initally buying it. Its no more full coverage than Double Wear (imo) but I just like the finish and shade range more. I find Double Wear can have a very chalky finish at times, which is why I prefer Huda!
    The reviews for it are quite mixed but its the nicest and best full coverage foundation I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

SusieBlue wrote: »
    ^I really love the Huda faux filter, I've repurchased twice since initally buying it. Its no more full coverage than Double Wear (imo) but I just like the finish and shade range more. I find Double Wear can have a very chalky finish at times, which is why I prefer Huda!
    The reviews for it are quite mixed but its the nicest and best full coverage foundation I've ever used.

I love it too and sometimes mix it half and half with moisturizer for a lighter texture. I wouldn't wear it every day though.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Oh god, what does hilarious mean? I've kinda wanted to try the Huda product but am also trying not to add to my pile of under utilised foundations. I also worry it might be too heavy.... too focused on being great for Instagram but maybe not ideal for walking around in real life.

just rebought DoubleWear but trying a slightly different shade. I've bought 1W1 Bone, as opposed to my ususal 1N2 Ecru. It looks lighter and cooler even though Ecru is Neutral and Bone is Warm, but they look the oppose to me! but maybe thats because my bottle of Ecru is old and empty.

I must be using it on and off for the guts of 15 years so am thinking I should just stick to it and stop trying every new foundation that hits the market!

It just doesnt sit right on me, no matter how I apply it and no matter how I prep my skin. My daughter loves it though. Its not even too heavy, its too sitty :pac::pac: I bought it in Arnotts, and they didnt give samples (dont know if thats changed), wouldnt apply a full face to see how it wore and I was sucked in by my daughter being sucked in by the marketing.

It just doesnt sit right on me, no matter how I apply it and no matter how I prep my skin. My daughter loves it though. Its not even too heavy, its too sitty :pac::pac: I bought it in Arnotts, and they didnt give samples (dont know if thats changed), wouldnt apply a full face to see how it wore and I was sucked in by my daughter being sucked in by the marketing.

I totally agree, you need to be fast with it or you can forget about getting it to blend. I once squirted a pump onto a pallet to dip my brush in but forgot about it, I found it the next day and it was nearly rock solid in consistency :pac:

Humm, that is a pet hate of mine when they won't give a sample.

I have a load of barely touched foundations that seemed good at the time but over time I'd start to feel like they just weren't as great as my initial impressions and I'd just stop using them. Its such a waste.

I'd be open to trying a new foundation, but I don't want another mistake, so I won't be buying anything I can't try at home with various brushes/BB and different primers etc so I can get a real feel for it before committing.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I totally agree, you need to be fast with it or you can forget about getting it to blend. I once squirted a pump onto a pallet to dip my brush in but forgot about it, I found it the next day and it was nearly rock solid in consistency :pac:

Yes! I found that too, I was shocked at how hard it went and it made me wonder what it would do to my face if I left it on overnight :confused:
    I wanted to love it after investing in it :)

I have a load of barely touched foundations that seemed good at the time but over time I'd start to feel like they just weren't as great as my initial impressions and I'd just stop using them. Its such a waste.

I'd be open to trying a new foundation, but I don't want another mistake, so I won't be buying anything I can't try at home with various brushes/BB and different primers etc so I can get a real feel for it before committing.

Totally agree. Current me just refuses to buy without properly sampling now, the stuff is too expensive to leave sitting there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Same, ive stopped buying into hyped up products and only repurchase what I know works for me unless I can get a decent sized sample. Makeup can be so expensive it's not worth taking a chance on allot of products.

• Advertisement

Same, ive stopped buying into hyped up products and only repurchase what I know works for me unless I can get a decent sized sample. Makeup can be so expensive it's not worth taking a chance on allot of products.

All of this - I found I was buying stuff that turned out to be kak, because some randomer in my insta feed was after being paid to say it was brilliant! I have a drawer of fake tans that didnt suit me, and I didnt even have any interest in them. I could go on and on but its off topic :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Was given a once-used tube of Revitalash today. Going to try it on my eyebrows as I only have to look at the stupid things lately and I lose 4-5 hairs out of each. And I reeeeaaally don't have them to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I bought that Urban Decay Stay Naked foundation, sampled it in the shop and thought the coverage was gorgeous, I do need to powder it though, I tried it without yesterday and it had broken down a fair bit around the hairline, nose and chin (I'm a combo skin type). It is very skin like and buildable. Good selection of shades and tones too.

I also bought Space Cowboy single eyeshadow, I think this was big years ago (back before palettes took over the world) so I'm late to the game but it's fab, a soft tan shade with silver glitter reflects, I like a quick and handy eye of just a wash of a tan / warm mid brown shade all over the lid and this adds something extra just dabbed on top with a finger.

I had been cutting down on buying makeup this year, along with the rest of the Shop the Stash gang, but my friends know I'm makeup mad and for my 30th I got a load of vouchers, One for All and Brown Thomas, plus I've 60 Boots points to spend, problem is trying to decide what I "need" ;)

GingerLily wrote: »
    It doesn't work for me either, I tried it for a while, my foundation never looked right, just chalky and streaky!
    I'm back to my good old Catrice and I love it :)

I have to say I do love the Catrice foundation! Such a bargain

The Cool wrote: »

I had been cutting down on buying makeup this year, along with the rest of the Shop the Stash gang, but my friends know I'm makeup mad and for my 30th I got a load of vouchers, One for All and Brown Thomas, plus I've 60 Boots points to spend, problem is trying to decide what I "need" ;)

I have cut down on buying make up too - but I still have over €150 in boots points to spend :eek: so I think I will be buying my new foundation from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I have also not bought into the hype with the various products being peddled by bloggers. I threw out loads of stuff and stick to a few go-to products.
    The only new products purchased were the Urban Decay Naked Reloaded Palette and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara - the mascara has a big wand which I think is similar to Benefit's Bad Gal but obv. cheaper
    Another with a tonne of Boots Points but I think it'll be a repurchase of my perfume.

I have cut down on buying make up too - but I still have over €150 in boots points to spend :eek: so I think I will be buying my new foundation from there!

LOL I don't think I've ever had more than a tenner on my boots card. Either I don't spend much in there or I just use it as it goes. Probably a bit of both.

Anyway, boots sell a lot more than just toiletries and cosmetics these days so maybe worth looking online for a bigger ticket item given that you've a decent sum to spend?

Or personally I'd use it to buy necessary things that are boring such as sun cream etc - not exactly a purchase that will bring you joy but great to be able to get the necessities for free!

LOL I don't think I've ever had more than a tenner on my boots card. Either I don't spend much in there or I just use it as it goes. Probably a bit of both.

Anyway, boots sell a lot more than just toiletries and cosmetics these days so maybe worth looking online for a bigger ticket item given that you've a decent sum to spend?

Or personally I'd use it to buy necessary things that are boring such as sun cream etc - not exactly a purchase that will bring you joy but great to be able to get the necessities for free!

I have a tendency to buy when there are bonus points events on, and bought a LOT of christmas pressies there in the past. Thinking of saving them towards an IPL hair remover to be honest....still in 2 minds about it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I thought I was great with my €30 saved up in points!! Planning to pick up a YSL lipstick.

Some updates on things I've been using -

Fenty Baeside eyeliner in shade Skinny Dip (powder blue) - love this so much! It does need a careful hand and needs to be drawn over a few times for a solid colour but I love how it looks.

Lisa Eldridge Powder lipstick - still need to practice my lipstick skills in general but found this to be a gorgeous matte lipstick. Survived a fair few drinks and only need a minor top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

SoSue/Terrie McEvoy tan - Wore this out for the first time over the weekend, its fab, gave me a gorgeous dark colour, I love being as tanned as possible and it also gave a lovely glow. Only problem I had with it was it went very dark, uneven and patchy on my knees, elbows and between my fingers despite exfoliating and moistursing before applying it. That said, I got loads of compliments on my tan on Friday night.

Advertisement