Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

JustMe,K wrote: »
    I saw Karla K with it too and wanted to try it. Will be interested to hear your thoughts as I think it looked fab on her and very wearable. Ordering from boots is very offputting at the moment as there are so much out of stock items on the site (which dont show as oos until you select them) and delivery is a lot longer than usual.

Let us know how you get on with it!

I'm actually using up a few of my old foundations (1 mac, 1 the ordinary) that are both too dark for me most of the time, but ok in summer so I'm using them for the odd time I'm wearing make up these days.

My go to for the rest of the year is Doublewear in Bone, so I'd be interested in another foundation in a similar tone for that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I tried out some products & application methods recommended by an MUA on TikTok of all places, and was pleasantly surprised to find it worked amazingly well. It’s a game changer for sure!

This is aimed at anyone with acne, scarring, pigmentation or texture issues etc.
    You start with a hyaluronic acid to fill your pores, she recommended the one from The Ordinary so I used that one.
    Then you apply a silicone based primer over it, she recommend the one from The Ordinary so I used that too.

Then you cover the spots/pigmentation/scarring with the Nars potted concealer, leave it sit for two minutes, and put your foundation straight over it, no blending out the concealer.
    I swear it makes your face look like it has a filter on it, it’s an amazing technique! A few of my friends have tried it and they’ve had fab results too.

This is the video tutorial for anyone who wants to try it, the MUA has some skin issues herself and it makes her look absolutely flawless, you would never think she has acne.
    You don’t need to have the app downloaded to watch :)

I’d highly recommend the three products and that technique for anyone wanting to cover skin issues.

https://vm.tiktok.com/JNG9okW/

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Bought Aimee Connolly's Full Face Edit and her lip duo in Mauve Match online with 20% off on her app.
    I already have her primer and foundation and for a mid priced range make-up I have to say I'm well impressed.
    I'm on a budget at the minute but it stands up well to more expensive brands I've bought.
    Very pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Not a review but I heard Mac is coming to Boots on the 29th of this month, anyone else hear this? I hope it's true..

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Not a review but I heard Mac is coming to Boots on the 29th of this month, anyone else hear this? I hope it's true..

I've seen a few things online that this is happening in selected Boots stores. It would be amazing, my points balance will be through the roof :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Here’s a link of which Boots it’s coming to! Ireland and the UK are mixed in together.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/beauty-hair/makeup/amp33389846/mac-cosmetics-boots-shops-uk-locations-list/

https://www.boots.ie/

They can be bought online and delivered to your local boots for free

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Here’s a link of which Boots it’s coming to! Ireland and the UK are mixed in together.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/beauty-hair/makeup/amp33389846/mac-cosmetics-boots-shops-uk-locations-list/

So theyre only available in store in Dublin, Galway and Belfast.. whats the point in the that? the reason theyre selling in boots is to make them more accessible but the only place you can buy Mac products are in the major cities anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Just got my shipment of a Cult Beauty shop, that site is dangerous! :D
    So I got the Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask, I have heard a lot about this and I am dying to try it!

The Inkey Glycolic Acid Liquid Toner & Peptide Moisturiser. I normally use the Ordinary Toner but I can't source it anywhere! or the Salicylic Acid. (If anyone does know where i can get let me know as i am nearly out!)

Drunk Elephant, I am loving their Glycolic Serum and Facial Oil so i thought I would try a few more of their products. I only got the smaller size ones so I can see if they suit. I got the Sunshine Protein Smoothie & Time to Wake Up.
    Theres a Vit C, Peptide Cream and Hydration Serum and I can't remember the other.

It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Oil-Free Matte - I have the other one but have heard the Matte one is better so thought it would try it as my other is nearly gone. I can get oily around my nose so hopefully the matte will help that.

I have been getting dry scalp just at my hairline so I am hoping the Livin Proof Restore Dry Scalp Treatment works - has anyone used it?

Huda Beauty Emerald Obsessions Palette - I love Huda Beauty and this was on sale so thought I would try it!

Olaplex - I do a treatment 2/3 times a month and I think its excellent especially as I've blonde highlights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

So theyre only available in store in Dublin, Galway and Belfast.. whats the point in the that? the reason theyre selling in boots is to make them more accessible but the only place you can buy Mac products are in the major cities anyway...

The stores listed for Dublin at least are all larger Boots stores with high end make up counters already in place like Estee Lauder, Smashbox, Clinique etc. They're hardly going to stick MAC on its own into every regional or suburban store, typically they're too small and it wouldn't be sustainable. Surely the click and collect to every store is an improvement?

Dundrum is possibly a bit unnecessary as MAC is already in BT2, but I think the Pavillions and Liffey Valley are both serving large areas with big populations that don't have a MAC outlet anywhere nearby - currently its only available in town or Dundrum, which could be ages away depending on where you live in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

https://www.boots.ie/

They can be bought online and delivered to your local boots for free

Free full sized Ruby Woo today also. Arnotts are doing a free mini Twig or Chilli lipstick also with any purchase.

I bought Teddy again and got a free mini Twig.

No Mac eyeliners qualify for the free Ruby Woo with Boots. :mad:

SozBbz wrote: »
    The stores listed for Dublin at least are all larger Boots stores with high end make up counters already in place like Estee Lauder, Smashbox, Clinique etc. They're hardly going to stick MAC on its own into every regional or suburban store, typically they're too small and it wouldn't be sustainable. Surely the click and collect to every store is an improvement?

Dundrum is possibly a bit unnecessary as MAC is already in BT2, but I think the Pavillions and Liffey Valley are both serving large areas with big populations that don't have a MAC outlet anywhere nearby - currently its only available in town or Dundrum, which could be ages away depending on where you live in Dublin.

Sure most boots sell high end makeup, my local boots has a very decent sized Smashbox and Clinique counter, they also sell Fenty beauty and Benefit so dont see how Mac would be out of place, and it's a tiny store in comparison to most in a very small town far away from any cities.

My only gripe with buying makeup online is testing shades, Mac can be either too dark, Yellow or pink on me and I dont find their foundations consistent so for that reason id be reluctant to buy much online besides eyeshadow or lipstick but only if I saw something I really liked.

Anyway, Mac could always be ordered online so its not an improvement at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I think my search for THE perfect lipstick has ended ... although I think, technically, it's a lip gloss rather than a lip stick.

I buy so many lipsticks and very often don't even get as far as wearing them outside the house, as they don't pass the test of lasting a couple of hours while I'm sitting around doing nothing at home.

I decided to try Maybelline Matte Ink (on the recommendation of MyTwoDarlings on Facebook, I usually find her suggestions very good.) It goes on like a gloss, but sets like a lipstick almost straight away, and oh my God it is indestructible. I was out and about all day, very busy, had plenty to eat and drink ... I just got home and it is absolutely identical to when I left home this morning!!! Amazing.

I got it in 80 "Ruler" and 117 "Ground-Breaker", there is a fab range of colours.

Would highly recommend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Cloud 10 had an offer where you got a gift box if you spent €75. I’m out of a few things so I’d course being a marketers dream I bought a lot to get the gift as well! Great offer though

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Went a bit mad at the Charlotte Tilbury sale recently. Got the Mystery Box for €179 (Birthday Present). Contents:
    • Filmstar Bronze and Glow €65 - Have this already so don't know whether to keep until I run out or regift to one of the sisters (regift I'd say)
    • Cheek to Chic Blusher- Ecstasy €39. Lovely peachy colour. Very flattering.
    • Legendary Lashes €32 - havent used yet as have a few to use up - hope it's good
    • Hot Lips 2 - Angel Alessandra €35 - It's a colour I would never pick but I've been wearing it nearly every day so delighted with it
    • Hollywood Lips - Screen Siren €32 - Lovely formula but think it's a bit too much for an oldie like me. Gonna gift this to a youngster
    • Eyes to Mesmerise - Star Gold €26 - Nice Colour/Blends well
    • Colour Chameleon - AMBER HAZE €25 - I like this too. Colour a bit similar to the eyes to mesmerise so a different colour might have been better. I'll still use it though
    • Wonderglow Primer €49 - It's OK, nothing special. Prefer MAC Strobe Cream
    • Hollywood Beauty Glow Face Kit €35 - Beauty Light Wand Highlighter and Wonderglow 15ml - There is already a highlighter and a full size Wonderglow in the box, so something different would have been preferable
    Because I spend over €135, I got a free Pillow Talk Luck Diamonds Lipstick (€28) and 2 mini lipsticks (est. €20)

Overall, contents value €386 (I think) so very happy as I didn't have much CT (ahem)

So then, as the sale was still on, I decided to do some Christmas shopping. Got 3 Hot Lip Charms Lipstics for sister's stocking fillers (reduced to 18 each), Luxury Palette Eyeshadow Eye Kit (2 palettes reduced from €100 to €60), and Pillow Talk Eyeliner. Got the same free gifts again.

Delighted with my purchases, but gonna have to cop on now for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

I recently purchased MAC Mehr lipstick. Does anyone have any recommendations for a lipliner? I’ve seen MAC Soar mentioned. Any budget lipliners?

I also purchased Penney’s Bronze Whip, supposed to be like Chanel Soleil Bronzer... haven’t tried it yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I recently purchased MAC Mehr lipstick. Does anyone have any recommendations for a lipliner? I’ve seen MAC Soar mentioned. Any budget lipliners?

I also purchased Penney’s Bronze Whip, supposed to be like Chanel Soleil Bronzer... haven’t tried it yet. :)

Mehr is the only Mac lipstick I’ve ever repurchased, it’s my go to shade. I think I’m on my fifth one one! I use it with Soar mostly but there’s a Penney’s one that doesn’t look bad with it either, I can’t remember the name of it off the top of my head though, but it’s very similar in colour to Soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

The NYX pencils are great! There are lots of different tones of nudes. Try the shade "Mauve" with Mehr, should be perfect. It's quite like Whirl, a bit more rosy I'd say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I like the Max Factor lipliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I got the Loreal C'est Magic BB Cream and love it. I use strobe cream or flawless filter under it and its a lovely light coverage for everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I started using the Maybelline Instant Anti Age Eraser Concealer about 7 months ago. I really like it. I love the sponge on the top, so easy to put on and it doesn't cake around the eye area.

I also started using the Maybelline Dream Urban cover flawless foundation, which has an spf 50! I like how natural it is on my skin and no need to use too much.

Over lockdown my skin became very dry, and dull so I asked my my friend who is a beautician/make up artist to recommend me something to use, which wouldn't be too expensive. She is very into skincare and looks up ingredients of products and tells you if they are really any good. I started to use the Inkey list hyaluronic acid serum and Avene day moisturiser which has an spf. She said just to stick to those for now. I have seen a big difference in my skin now. Its not dry and patchy anymore, quite soft and I even can see the lines on my forehead have softened. Its been really good. I have also started to use LaRochePosay night serum.
    I was just buying Nivea or boots brands up to then and they really were not working on my skin, so I am delighted to have gotten ones that are doing a good job. I must have a proper skin consultation with her soon and a facial!!

Skincare has changed so much in the last 5 years, the amount of affordable brands that have come on the market is amazing. For just a little above the Boots/Nivea prices you can get incredible products the likes of which you could only get before in a salon (with yer credit card ready!), democratisation of beauty (and aging lol).

I've repurchased the Revolution Conceal and Hydrate concealer for the third time, it's a brilliant product and less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Arnotts have set up a section recently for mini versions of popular products. It’s really reminding me of that part of Sephora near the till and I’m loving it.

I picked mini of Sunday Riley CEO cream and the overnight serum but they have lots of cosmetics and make up too.

Also picked up full size of the Image skincare enzyme mask which is really very effective and visible results the next day for sure.

And I fell in to the trap of the Chanel Soleil De Tan bronzer (it’s call Les Beige now) and now I’m fuming that I waited so long to buy it! Its my first cream bronzer but I’ll never go back to powder. It goes on so well over foundation or alone and the colour is really really spot on for my skin tone. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Arnotts have set up a section recently for mini versions of popular products. It’s really reminding me of that part of Sephora near the till and I’m loving it.

I picked mini of Sunday Riley CEO cream and the overnight serum but they have lots of cosmetics and make up too.

Also picked up full size of the Image skincare enzyme mask which is really very effective and visible results the next day for sure.

And I fell in to the trap of the Chanel Soleil De Tan bronzer (it’s call Les Beige now) and now I’m fuming that I waited so long to buy it! Its my first cream bronzer but I’ll never go back to powder. It goes on so well over foundation or alone and the colour is really really spot on for my skin tone. Delighted!

Love that bronzer, it's such a game changer! On my second now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

is this the product you are referring to ? https://www.brownthomas.com/brands/chanel/make-up/complexion/cream-gel-bronzer-for-a-healthy-sun-kissed-glow/147727870.html?cgid=chanel-make-up-complexion#start=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

That’s the one! :)

Cool thx - I might just indulge myself based on your update. Chanel should give you commission:pac:

whatever76 wrote: »
    Cool thx - I might just indulge myself based on your update. Chanel should give you commission:pac:

Treat yo’self! :D

My employer kindly gave us a oneforall voucher to buy chairs/desks etc for working from home... Chanel bronzer is definitely a WFH necessity :pac: Thankfully they aren’t looking for receipts :D

(I have posted this message while my laptop is perched on two tins of paint... maybe I should have avoided the Chanel counter hahahah)

• Advertisement

I've been using Kevin Murphy Motion Lotion for curly hair and I have to say it's brilliant! Pricey enough at around €25 but it's the first thing I've used in a while that really holds the curls through sleeping and few days wear. A little goes a long way https://millies.ie/products/kevin-murphy-motion-lotion

Advertisement