Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Currently I’m using Drunk elephants moisturizer and the littles products too. It’s very spendy and I’m doing work around house so I’m not buying more Drunk elephant products for a while. While on FB an add popped up for Moogoo product called ‘ Bakuchiol (1% w/v) Natural Retinol Substitute Active Serum
    €26.99
    Bakuchiol is a natural alternative for Retinol as Retinol can irritate the skin‘

I’m wary of retinol As I have redness/sensitive skin and I not spending much money at the minute but I was intrigued by the claim as above so I ordered the bakuchiol and I have to say it’s fantastic. Skin feels amazing after it . It’s much cheaper than other retinol type products so fingers crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I have been using the Pestle and Mortar Vitamin C serum on a daily basis since mid-June and have noticed a real difference in my skin. I'm still working through the same bottle despite using one pump every morning - which is enough for my face and neck. I reckon that I still have another week or so of serum left in the bottle! So one bottle equates to at least 3 months worth of serum which is not bad at all.

The only downside is the price. I bought a back-up bottle last week using a 20% student discount code and got a free 30ml P&M moisturiser on Lookfantastic which took some of the sting out of the price.

I've never used a vitamin C serum before, but I must say that I really like this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My boyfriend just pre-ordered the Skingredients gift set for me for Christmas because it's currently out of stock. My current stock of lotions and potions will be running low by then so I'll be delighted.

He also thinks his sister suggested it and not that I told her what to tell him :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My boyfriend just pre-ordered the Skingredients gift set for me for Christmas because it's currently out of stock. My current stock of lotions and potions will be running low by then so I'll be delighted.

He also thinks his sister suggested it and not that I told her what to tell him :P

Some things they're just better off not knowing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

This is genius!

My OH buys the worst presents so I just tell him what I want the last few years - Its good because I hate waste so at least I'm not having to pretend to like things I'll never use but it does sort of take the romance out of it! Even if its not actually a surprise, its nice that he thinks it is!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I bought The Inkey List Retinol about 2 weeks ago. My friend recommended I start using it along with the Hyaluronic acid by the same brand. I have found the Hyaluronic acid really good on my skin. I started using it in April and my skin was quite dry and dehydrated at the time. Its improved so much. I started using the Retinol every 3 nights to start, now I'm on every 2 nights, just to get my skin used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I’m at home 90% of the time and when I’m out I’m wearing a mask so of course the sensible thing to do is buy 16 lipsticks. :o

Picked up the MAC mini lipstick set of 12. Three are colours that I love and use regularly and most of the rest are ones I’d love to try but just know I would never actually buy full size as I doubt I’d finish them before they go off.

https://www.arnotts.ie/brands/mac/shop-all-m.a.c/mac/surefire-hit-mini-lipstick-x-12-vault/149233267.html?cgid=mac-shop-all#start=1

Also picked up the Charlotte Tilbury mini set of 3. I’ve never tried pillow talk but I always like the look of it. Very Victoria might be a bit too light for me but Walk of Shame is one I know I’ll love.

https://www.charlottetilbury.com/ie/product/iconic-mini-lipstick-wardrobe

And then to get the free delivery I picked up a lipgloss to, makes sense... :P

https://www.charlottetilbury.com/ie/product/collagen-plumping-lipgloss-rosy-glow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm very tempted to try Charlotte Tilbury lipstick too. I've put it on my family Secret Santa wishlist!!

Has anyone tried those monthly subscription boxes, i.e. Birchbox or similar? Very tempted to give it a go, but not sure if I'm wasting my money?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Has anyone tried those monthly subscription boxes, i.e. Birchbox or similar? Very tempted to give it a go, but not sure if I'm wasting my money?

I signed up for the Look Fantastic one - will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I’m at home 90% of the time and when I’m out I’m wearing a mask so of course the sensible thing to do is buy 16 lipsticks. :o
    Lol to this !
    I had bought a few new liptsticks in mid-Feb before all this, and they are still in their wrappings.
    Still using up the old ones for the various telecons !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Lisha wrote: »
    While on FB an add popped up for Moogoo product called ‘ Bakuchiol (1% w/v) Natural Retinol Substitute Active Serum
    €26.99
    Bakuchiol is a natural alternative for Retinol as Retinol can irritate the skin‘

I’m wary of retinol As I have redness/sensitive skin and I not spending much money at the minute but I was intrigued by the claim as above so I ordered the bakuchiol and I have to say it’s fantastic. Skin feels amazing after it . It’s much cheaper than other retinol type products so fingers crossed..

I saw this on facebook and wanted to try it, I have redness too and rosacea so cant use retinols. Love MooGoo products so will buy this week.

If its of any use to you, the skin nerd does a really nice vitamin A serum, it's not a retinol but works similarly and doesnt irritate skin. Its a bit more expensive at 42 euro and for a very small amount of product but it's a really good product imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I saw this on facebook and wanted to try it, I have redness too and rosacea so cant use retinols. Love MooGoo products so will buy this week.

If its of any use to you, the skin nerd does a really nice vitamin A serum, it's not a retinol but works similarly and doesnt irritate skin. Its a bit more expensive at 42 euro and for a very small amount of product but it's a really good product imo.

I’m very happy with the bakicuhol and with the moo goo moisturiser . My skin feels great and never ‘tight’ like it does with other products. I’m as happy with the moo goo as I was with the drunk elephant products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I've been getting the Birchbox for a few years now. It works out between 15 to 18 euro per month. Some months are great and then others are boring because you tend to get a lot of repeats! I've gotten makeup, face masks, hairspray, shampoo/conditioner, brushes etc... Mostly sample sizes but you get 1 full size product every box. I always say I'm going to cancel it but I never get around to it!! I do love getting a treat every month :)

Bit of a different product for here but I've been using Wild natural deodorant for a few weeks and I've been finding it really good. I'd been wanting to switch to a more eco friendly solution so when my last can of deo was about to go I ordered the one off pack to try - one case plus three deodorant bars. You reuse the case and just add in the bars as you need, and the empty bar packs can go in compost. No sulphates, parabens or aluminium. I was worried about the "transition period" as your body can take time to adjust but no complaints so far and I would consider myself a sweaty person :pac: Currently using coconut scent, and have bergamot and mint lined up. https://www.wearewild.com/

Thats interesting Twee, I got a cream deo and solid shampoo from Three Hills. I stank and Im not overly sweaty and the solid shampoo made my hair so greasy overtime, could get 3 days and was only getting one on this. Might give this deo a go, thanks

Yeah my friends have all tried a few between them and none were 100% happy so this time it was my turn to try one! It'll be interesting to see in the summer but for now I'm happy with it. It can rub off on clothes when you're getting dressed though which is annoying, but that's the case with a lot of cream deos anyway.

Roz Purcell and Tara Stewart both had discount codes up recently if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

lashes34 wrote: »
    Thats interesting Twee, I got a cream deo and solid shampoo from Three Hills. I stank and Im not overly sweaty and the solid shampoo made my hair so greasy overtime, could get 3 days and was only getting one on this. Might give this deo a go, thanks

I find the solid shampoos and deodorants depend massively on the brand and type. I've been using warrior botanicals deodorant for nearly two years and find it better than spray deodorants and there was no transition. Shampoos have been a lot trickier but the Janni bar for oily hair was the best so far for me. I tried a three hills one and it was okay, tried another from soap out loud and my hair was really greasy with it, and another from palm free Irish soaps and my scalp was incredibly flaky after the second wash and it took a fortnight to clear up. On a slow mission to remove plastic from my bathroom and makeup bag as much as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Want to indulge in some Charlotte Tilbury bits for my birthday. Any recommendations?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

lashes34 wrote: »

I'm on my 4th natural deodorant and only two of them have really worked, Warrior Bontanicals and the Palm Free Irish soap sports deodorant bar. But it's worth noting that there can be a 6 week adjustment period with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Want to indulge in some Charlotte Tilbury bits for my birthday. Any recommendations?

I find the eye palettes are great. Not interested in her lipsticks, I find they transfer straight off.
    I got the box with the drawers in it a few years ago which gave me somme good tasters of her products. The mascara is lovely too.
    I don’t really rate the Magic Cream, I never saw any difference. I was going to get a brush set cos I’m a sucker for packaging but they get very poor reviews on her own website.
    I want to get the big box again with the jewelled handles. Saw it in BT and I’m a magpie for shiny things.
    The other one I got was half price in a Black Friday sale and that’s enough to pay for it.
    So if it’s not restocked and reduced I won’t bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’ve finally found the best moisturiser to go under make up! I think I’ve been through every moisturiser known to man at this stage and while they’re nice, I never like how my make up looks on top of them so I always end up keeping them for night or days where I’m not wearing make up. Recently I’ve been using The Inky List Bakuchiol and it’s just perfect under make up; not too heavy but with enough moisture to grip the make up and it absorbs really quickly too. It’s a gorgeous moisturiser and I think I paid like €13 for it in the pharmacy. It reminds me of the consistency of Nivea for men aftershave balm when everyone used to use that years ago as a primer, lol! I’m really impressed with it and I struggled for ages to find the right type to go under make up. I think it’s classed as a natural alternative to retinol so really good for your skin too.

Cult Beauty have 20% off complexion items so foundation, powders etc includes CT, Nars etc if anyone needs anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I love Flawless Filter, I'm on the dregs of my second and will definitely repurchase. When I bought it first I thought it a bit of a swizz at €40 but I wore it every day for 9 months ending up trying to scrape out the last bits with a cotton bud, so was worth it really! It's lovely under makeup but also just on its own, these days when there's no point in putting on a full face but I want to make a little effort just for my own sake, my face is FF and a little brow product. It just gives you a little tint and glow.
    I love the Pillow Talk lipstick, it's my go-to, not pushed on the liner. I've heard Iconic Nude is a nicer nude liner for fair to medium tones but I just think the pricepoint for a liner is unnecessary, so many good ones out there for around the fiver or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ what brush do you apply the Flawless Filter with? Have it and love it but find my ordinary foundation kabuki brush just soaks it all up and buffs it away to nothing?

heldel00 wrote: »
    ^^^ what brush do you apply the Flawless Filter with? Have it and love it but find my ordinary foundation kabuki brush just soaks it all up and buffs it away to nothing?

I just use my fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

As mentioned the flawless filter is really nice, I like the bronzer, if you like a more intense bronze, don't really think the setting powder is worth it, recently got the new mascara haven't tried it yet, but it looks really nice.. Hear the magic cream is amazing but I could never justify paying that for a moisturiser!

Repurchased Cerava SA Smoothing Cream. It is great for KP or bumpy skin, really does help smooth it out and improve appearance. Its quite thick so I find it goes on best after a hot shower to melt in. Very little scent apart from generic "lotion" smell. I've stopped buying nice scented body creams and if I get them as a gift well and good, but I'm loyal now to the Cerave and good old fashioned E45, talk about boring and sensible! I like Caudalie Divine Oil if I wanna feel bougie and glam (not getting much use these days!) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

heldel00 wrote: »

I find it works best with hands! I think you'd have to use quite a lot for a brush, and it needs hands to really blend it into your face and become skin-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

There's some great value sets on her website for Black Friday have purchased some bits for gifting and self gifting!

I'm waiting ages on my Wild deodorant shipment which shipped at end of Oct but they contacted today to say they will send it out again so excellent customer service. They're having 25% off for Black Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Treated myself to the hydrating gift set by image skincare as it was on sale. I got the vit c hydrating serum, the vit c hydrating cleanser and spf 50 which I had run out of and needed a new one anyway. I had never tried anything from the vitamin C range. Only been using them for a few days but already I see a difference in my skin, its much brighter and the lines around my eyes arent so prominent.
    So pleased with this purchase, despite it costing 100 euro, it was a total impulse buy but worth it.

Advertisement