Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I'm the same on the Spotlight issue. All the 'Brand Ambassadors ' (some of whom have previously swore they only bothered with Crest strips) just turns me right off the brand. I'm not going to be paying for their endorsements.
    For whats its worth my friend has a toothbrush from a brand called Fairywiil or fairyfield (something fairy in the title anyway) she got it on Amazon and its IDENTICAL to Spotlight one in charging, settings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

bertsmom wrote: »
    I'm the same on the Spotlight issue. All the 'Brand Ambassadors ' (some of whom have previously swore they only bothered with Crest strips) just turns me right off the brand. I'm not going to be paying for their endorsements.
    For whats its worth my friend has a toothbrush from a brand called Fairywiil or fairyfield (something fairy in the title anyway) she got it on Amazon and its IDENTICAL to Spotlight one in charging, settings etc

oh thanks for that info - I just looked these up on Amazon there and they look good - only ~20 sterling as well. I think I may take a punt at that price !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

whatever76 wrote: »
    oh thanks for that info - I just looked these up on Amazon there and they look good - only ~20 sterling as well. I think I may take a punt at that price !!

You'll get them for £16.66 now that there's no VAT on UK imports under €22 :D

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I just want ye to know though I personally don't have either of them, so I can't recommend either way but it came up in conversation among us about how annoying all the supposed Brand Ambassadors for Spotlight (and Sweet King and OMG and bperfect) are. I find it's just made me realise the reviews of those instagrammers are so untrustworthy.
    Thats how we got to talking about it but she says she finds that fairy one from Amazon is the business and from what she could see there was absolutely no difference. I don't have either I just have an Oral b one from boots that I find grand so I'm not going to buy a new one just for the sake of it. Hope ye like it tho if ye get it. At least its not a big price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ 100% agree. I will never buy Spotlight because i can't trust reviews are honest.
    They had Brian Dowling advertising for them about a month after he got veneers (or implants or something like that). No toothpaste in the world will whiten natural teeth to the level of cosmetic dentistry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ 100% agree. I will never buy Spotlight because i can't trust reviews are honest.
    They had Brian Dowling advertising for them about a month after he got veneers (or implants or something like that). No toothpaste in the world will whiten natural teeth to the level of cosmetic dentistry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got the Glossier You perfume for Christmas and it's absolutely gorgeous. Very soft and subtle, a little bit of that fresh linen/laundry/baby powder type smell, with a little bit of leather to balance any sweetness.

https://www.glossier.com/products/glossier-you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

My local chemist was clearing out perfumes and I bought Prada Candy night blindly as it was wrapped in plastic but 45 euro down from 85.
    Not a scent I would normally choose for myself as its quite heavy at first but the dry down is lovely.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Twee. wrote: »
    I got the Glossier You perfume for Christmas and it's absolutely gorgeous. Very soft and subtle, a little bit of that fresh linen/laundry/baby powder type smell, with a little bit of leather to balance any sweetness.

https://www.glossier.com/products/glossier-you

It's become my favourite perfume in the last year! It reminds me of Philosophy Pure Grace but lasts longer. I bought the hand cream as it's meant to be the same scent but it's barely noticeable, would not recommend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

NicsM wrote: »
    It's become my favourite perfume in the last year! It reminds me of Philosophy Pure Grace but lasts longer. I bought the hand cream as it's meant to be the same scent but it's barely noticeable, would not recommend.

Good to know! I do love the scent so I definitely could have been swayed into the hand cream on my next order!

I got a sample of their shower oil and it's really gorgeous. I've been a really dedicated soap user for around 2 years now for many reasons, but that oil is calling my name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Not sure if this the right place to put it so mods feel free to move!

I’m having a really bad flare up of rosacea on my face at the moment. I won’t even describe it because it’s horrible looking and my self confidence is pretty much through the floor. I can’t bear to leave the house and have anyone see me, very grateful for mandatory masks :D

I got a referral letter for a dermatologist from my GP that I can pass to a dermatologist of my choosing. Would anyone have any dermatologist recommendations? I’m Dublin based.

Also in the mean time if anyone has any recommendations for products that might help that I can buy without a prescription I’d really appreciate it. My normal skincare routine is just aggravating it so I’m just washing my face with water in the morning and using a Cereve wash at night and then using my prescription face cream.

Also in the mean time if anyone has any recommendations for products that might help that I can buy without a prescription I’d really appreciate it. My normal skincare routine is just aggravating it so I’m just washing my face with water in the morning and using a Cereve wash at night and then using my prescription face cream.

I have rosacea too. Id be interested in what your dermatologist says to you about it.

Oats soaked in warm water and gently rubbed onto the skin really helps to sooth the rosacea. Skin nerd probiotic cleanser is brilliant, ive not had a flare up since I started using it & I noticed in boots last week they have a section of skincare products for rosacea - in my local boots they were with the medicated & specialized skincare (not prescription) I havnt used them myself but I looked at the ingrediants and they look ok to use. No alcohol or anything irritating.

I have rosacea too. Id be interested in what your dermatologist says to you about it.

Oats soaked in warm water and gently rubbed onto the skin really helps to sooth the rosacea. Skin nerd probiotic cleanser is brilliant, ive not had a flare up since I started using it & I noticed in boots last week they have a section of skincare products for rosacea - in my local boots they were with the medicated & specialized skincare (not prescription) I havnt used them myself but I looked at the ingrediants and they look ok to use. No alcohol or anything irritating.

Thanks! I’ll give the oats a go tonight.

Will let you know any feedback from a dermatologist.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

I got a referral letter for a dermatologist from my GP that I can pass to a dermatologist of my choosing. Would anyone have any dermatologist recommendations? I’m Dublin based.

I've been going to Prof Catriona Ryan for the last few years, I've got psoriasis and eczema combined with some random allergies. I find her really good, she does a full mole check for me and really helped me get on top of my skin when it was at its worst.

Thanks NicsM! I just contacted Catriona Ryan’s office but they don’t have any available appointments until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

I have been eyeballing these for ages on Insta - she is one of my favourite makeup artists ever.. The eye shadow pallets look insane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Not sure if this the right place to put it so mods feel free to move!

I’m having a really bad flare up of rosacea on my face at the moment. I won’t even describe it because it’s horrible looking and my self confidence is pretty much through the floor. I can’t bear to leave the house and have anyone see me, very grateful for mandatory masks :D

My sister in law saw a dermatologist for hers - but she is based out west.
    She since swears by La Roche Posay products (when she is not having a bad flare up).
    https://www.laroche-posay.com.au/article/how-to-manage-rosacea

Best of luck, hope you get it sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

I was getting dry skin problems from being stuck indoors all day with the heating on. I was being relatively good compared with last year, so I splashed on Environ alpha hydroxy night cream while it was on sale. One week in and it's definitely helping.

I haven’t gotten an appointment yet but my flare up has really improve this week. Flare up lasted from just before Christmas so the guts of a month. It was red, hot and burning, broken flaking skin, dry and tight feeling. Skin texture was very rough and itchy. It was mainly on my cheeks and beside my nose, on my chin and along my jaw on one side, behind my ears, across the top half of my forehead and above one eyebrow. I always have redness in my skin and broken blood vessels in my cheeks and this hasn’t changed but the texture is gone from my cheeks now and dryness and flakiness has almost gone from everywhere (except above my eyebrow).

I think the flare up was from stress and the exacerbated by a walk I did in very cold and windy weather. My

What I did was:
    - Stopped basically all my usual skincare. No more acids or serums anything with strong active ingredients. Started washing my face with just water in the morning and using cereve smoothing cleanser in the evening.
    - Stopped using my glycolic acid (pixi glow tonic) entirely. Normally this is my holy grail product but it was really aggravating everything.
    - Used Soolantra all over (prescription) while my skin was wet and then moisturised with Embryolisse lait creme concentrate afterwards. This is perfumed which supposedly is bad for rosacea but I didn’t find it irritating, quite soothing actually.
    - Exfoliated gently with a warm damp face cloth rather than a chemical acid or microabrasive scrub. This was just to get rid of the flakiness really to try to prevent myself scratching and touching my face constantly.
    - Avoided make up since start of January to try give my skin a break.
    - Used Avene eau thermale mist to refresh my skin during the day. It’s really cooling and soothing and gave me a lot of relief from the heat and itch.
    - Zinc/physical barrier based suncream every day.

Going forward I’m going to stick with all this routine and have also purchased some Face Theory products to try. You can choose if they are scented or or scented which is handy! I’ve been reading some very good reviews of improvement in Rosacea (not just for flare ups, but for general redness and flushing) of consistent use of Azelaic acid and the Face Theory one is a decent percentage and a good price. The Ordinary one is also supposed to be good but it’s sold out everywhere. Azelaic acid is gentler than glycolic and retinols but very effective. Have also seen good reviews for using Niacinimide to help Rosacea so maybe I’ll look at that going forward. I’m going to add the Azelaic acid in every 3 nights from this week.

I think now that I’m seeing improvements I just need to be consistent and careful.

Once I get a derm appointment I’m happy to change all of this based on their advices but with lockdowns and patient services limited I needed to make some changes now to get some relief.

I haven’t gotten an appointment yet but my flare up has really improve this week. Flare up lasted from just before Christmas so the guts of a month. It was red, hot and burning, broken flaking skin, dry and tight feeling. Skin texture was very rough and itchy. It was mainly on my cheeks and beside my nose, on my chin and along my jaw on one side, behind my ears, across the top half of my forehead and above one eyebrow. I always have redness in my skin and broken blood vessels in my cheeks and this hasn’t changed but the texture is gone from my cheeks now and dryness and flakiness has almost gone from everywhere (except above my eyebrow).

I think the flare up was from stress and the exacerbated by a walk I did in very cold and windy weather. My

What I did was:
    - Stopped basically all my usual skincare. No more acids or serums anything with strong active ingredients. Started washing my face with just water in the morning and using cereve smoothing cleanser in the evening.
    - Stopped using my glycolic acid (pixi glow tonic) entirely. Normally this is my holy grail product but it was really aggravating everything.
    - Used Soolantra all over (prescription) while my skin was wet and then moisturised with Embryolisse lait creme concentrate afterwards. This is perfumed which supposedly is bad for rosacea but I didn’t find it irritating, quite soothing actually.
    - Exfoliated gently with a warm damp face cloth rather than a chemical acid or microabrasive scrub. This was just to get rid of the flakiness really to try to prevent myself scratching and touching my face constantly.
    - Avoided make up since start of January to try give my skin a break.
    - Used Avene eau thermale mist to refresh my skin during the day. It’s really cooling and soothing and gave me a lot of relief from the heat and itch.
    - Zinc/physical barrier based suncream every day.

Going forward I’m going to stick with all this routine and have also purchased some Face Theory products to try. You can choose if they are scented or or scented which is handy! I’ve been reading some very good reviews of improvement in Rosacea (not just for flare ups, but for general redness and flushing) of consistent use of Azelaic acid and the Face Theory one is a decent percentage and a good price. The Ordinary one is also supposed to be good but it’s sold out everywhere. Azelaic acid is gentler than glycolic and retinols but very effective. Have also seen good reviews for using Niacinimide to help Rosacea so maybe I’ll look at that going forward. I’m going to add the Azelaic acid in every 3 nights from this week.

I think now that I’m seeing improvements I just need to be consistent and careful.

Once I get a derm appointment I’m happy to change all of this based on their advices but with lockdowns and patient services limited I needed to make some changes now to get some relief.

Im amazed you can use Glycolic acid & microdermabrasive scrubs on your skin, if either went near my face id have a flareup for a month.
    I will keep an eye out for the Azelaic acid.

I was recommended Soolantra but my doctor wouldnt prescribe it, she didnt know what it was, she gave me Rozex instead but its usless, do you find the Soolantra much good?

• Advertisement

Im amazed you can use Glycolic acid & microdermabrasive scrubs on your skin, if either went near my face id have a flareup for a month.
    I will keep an eye out for the Azelaic acid.

I was recommended Soolantra but my doctor wouldnt prescribe it, she didnt know what it was, she gave me Rozex instead but its usless, do you find the Soolantra much good?

My skin when at its best can handle glycolic with no problems but not physical abrasives.

I’ve tried Rozex and got absolutely nowhere. Soolantra was prescribed by a Locum, my own GP never suggested it. It’s good but it needs about 8-12 weeks of consistent use to really see results and the first few weeks can be disheartening as it looks like it gets worse before it improves. And my skin goes back once I stop using it. It’s also very expensive I find, €50+ for a very small tube. The generic name is ivermectin which I’ve read is cheaper and very effective but again requires a prescription. I don’t know if it’s any use to you but I have Laya health insurance and on their app I just realised you can request prescriptions for Rosacea issues which I thought was useful. It’s not really your fault that your GP doesn’t know/understand soolantra so if I were you I’d be seeking a second opinion for the prescription.

Ivermectin is also an active ingredient in other over the counter creams and I think it’s in sulphur creams too? Lots of American sites recommend using a ‘horse paste’ which I thought was just a colloquial name for a face cream but no, it’s an actual paste for horses that they dilute and put on their faces :confused:

I found the Reddit rosacea sub very useful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rosacea/

My skin when at its best can handle glycolic with no problems but not physical abrasives.

I’ve tried Rozex and got absolutely nowhere. Soolantra was prescribed by a Locum, my own GP never suggested it. It’s good but it needs about 8-12 weeks of consistent use to really see results and the first few weeks can be disheartening as it looks like it gets worse before it improves. And my skin goes back once I stop using it. It’s also very expensive I find, €50+ for a very small tube. The generic name is ivermectin which I’ve read is cheaper and very effective but again requires a prescription. I don’t know if it’s any use to you but I have Laya health insurance and on their app I just realised you can request prescriptions for Rosacea issues which I thought was useful. It’s not really your fault that your GP doesn’t know/understand soolantra so if I were you I’d be seeking a second opinion for the prescription.

Ivermectin is also an active ingredient in other over the counter creams and I think it’s in sulphur creams too? Lots of American sites recommend using a ‘horse paste’ which I thought was just a colloquial name for a face cream but no, it’s an actual paste for horses that they dilute and put on their faces :confused:

I found the Reddit rosacea sub very useful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rosacea/

Thank you so much, that was really helpful.
    Think ill give the Soolantra a miss, my skin will have cleared up by the time it starts to work by the sounds of it and not worth it if it gets worse before it gets better. My doctor suggested antibiotics but I heard over the long run they can make rosacea worse.

Horse paste? thats a new one! Ive heard of people using horse shampoo but never horse paste, Anything that works lol.

Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I'm being stalked with online ads for these hair turbans/towels at the moment - has anyone tried or even a cheaper alternative?

https://www.lookfantastic.com/brands/aquis.list

I bought new towels but they are too thick to turban on my head and really want to get rid of the grotty old ones I've had for years. £30 seems a bit mad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

ams wrote: »
    I'm being stalked with online ads for these hair turbans/towels at the moment - has anyone tried or even a cheaper alternative?

https://www.lookfantastic.com/brands/aquis.list

I bought new towels but they are too thick to turban on my head and really want to get rid of the grotty old ones I've had for years. £30 seems a bit mad though!

TK Maxx do really brilliant ones that come in packs of two for maybe a tenner or less. Really absorbant and still grand after a million washes.

Not much use at the moment though! Unless TK Maxx do online shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I saw those in Homesavers before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Elottois

@ams

Well worth the investment. I bought mine a few weeks ago now and can highly recommend. My hair is thinning and I was experiencing a lot of hair loss / breakage on hair washing days. It is very comfortable and I see such a difference when brushing my hair out. No tangles and much less hair loss. I bought mine from beauty expert for approx €20.

Has anyone ordered from Beautyshop.ie?
    I ordered 100 euro worth of stuff then saw the reviews on trustpilot, im trying to cancel my order but cant get a reply. Hoping their not a scam company!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Has anyone ordered from Beautyshop.ie?
    I ordered 100 euro worth of stuff then saw the reviews on trustpilot, im trying to cancel my order but cant get a reply. Hoping their not a scam company!

I did - got the item after about a month or so and all was fine in the end. I checked reviews after ordering and got a fright too!!

I wouldnt order again as there are plently of places thst will get the items to me quicker. But the main thing is i did get thdm i suppose

• Advertisement

I did - got the item after about a month or so and all was fine in the end. I checked reviews after ordering and got a fright too!!

I wouldnt order again as there are plently of places thst will get the items to me quicker. But the main thing is i did get thdm i suppose

Yes id also be reluctant to order again, even if the items do arrive. Read some of the companies replies to the negative reviews and theyre so defensive & unprofessional in their response. Also saw reviews that said the products they received where counterfeit.
    Just hoping I can cancel the order & get my money back.

Advertisement