Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

thanks so much The Lovely Muffin ! will defo be picking up a new 217 !

picked up the real techniques core collection this weekend ! love love love the buffing brush my foundation has never looked so good so easy to use could practically do my make up in the dark. the countor brush is nice and the other two brushes arent the best. also got
    search%3Fq%3Drevlon%2Bpink%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bafternoon%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=revlon+pink+in+the+afternoon&docid=cAXWN0K7q4FOCM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PVJWT9aDJZPogQfJ37XICg&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAg&dur=162revlon lipstick in pink in the afternoon ! lovely colour !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

dream-air-foam-foundation_pack-shot_084401.jpg
    Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam in 010 Ivory

-I love the feeling of this foundation its so light its lovely.It's slightly too dark for everyday wear but It'll be grand on nights out for me.It's dissapointing though because its the lightest shade and I really like it.

Rimmel-Lasting-Finish-Lipstick-014-Sweetie-7011-1.jpg
    Rimmel Lipstick in Sweetie 014

-Its nice and mosturising and lasts well enough but when I bought it I thought it was a brighter pink and now it just seems a bit pedestrian.
    image1xl.jpg
    Rimmel Scandaleyes mascara in extreme black

-I love this mascara so much!I just finished the tube of the normal orange version of this and it was great.I love having a huge brush and it actually seems to work on my lashes!

Nadine-Core-Lash-6092103-512x1024.jpg
    Girls Aloud Nadine Eyelashes

I haven't used these in years but I used to like them so hopefully they work out ok and I don't end up with them flapping all around my face.
    KindToSkinReplenishingRichMoisturiser550_xlrg.jpg
    Simple Moisturiser

-Meh it does exactly what it says on the box.It does and alright job and I don't have much to say about it but I'd still like something more.

None of the pictures are mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Anny Hall

Hi Ladies,

Used to be really up to date on every cosmetic but so out of touch sadly.

Am heading to States and wondering if anyone has any recommendations of brands that I could look out for there that can't get here or any particular product especially anything good value?

Thanks so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Anny Hall wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

Used to be really up to date on every cosmetic but so out of touch sadly.

Am heading to States and wondering if anyone has any recommendations of brands that I could look out for there that can't get here or any particular product especially anything good value?

Thanks so much

High end or drug store? Either way you'll be saving a lot of money stocking up in the States rather than buying anything here. I'd hop into a Sephora if you saw one for high end makeup. Ulta is great as well (plus they carry Nyx). There's one drugstore brand that's pretty cheap but great for value called Wet n Wild. The eye shadow palettes are awesome, the 8 shadow ones are only $5 at Wal-Mart.

I'm trying to think of what drugstore brands the US carries but you can't find here (unless you can order them online).. Wet n Wild, Almay, Covergirl (pretty much the same as Max Factor), Neutrogena, Sonia Kashuk (only in Target stores), Hard Candy, ELF (some Wal-Marts and Targets)... Blanking on anything else. I recommend checking out stores like Wal-Mart, Target (I find makeup at Target is sometimes slightly more expensive than at Wal-Mart), pharmacies like Wal-Greens/RiteAid (they usually have deals on), Sephora, and Ulta.

Oh also I'd check out beauty blogs like Temptalia for reviews of anything "hot" right now, like those Lip Butters that just came out here, they're lovely and like half the price in the US! Maybe you can read some reviews and get an idea of what you're interested in. And off the top of my head thinking of something new that everyone is raving about is this thing from Maybelline called Color Tattoo. They're similar to MAC paint pots but a drugstore version. I haven't tried them but they look amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Anny Hall

Thanks so much chickenbutt!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Some more information here about buying in the US http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72985788

If you're in New York you should check out Duane Reade and Ricky's. Both have multiple locations.

I had six Mac empties so I got Vegas Volt yesterday. Not usually something I'd go for at all but it actually looks good with pale skin!

mac_vegasvolt003.jpg

MAC_Lipstick_Vegas_Volt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Xx-Steph08-xX

Bought Lancome Teint Idole 24h foundation after trying samples of it love it!! also bought the hypnose doll eyes mascara duo and got a ton of freebies for buying 2 things the freebies I got where a cleanse and toner 125mls not bad considering full size is 200mls! Hydra zen moistuiser 15mls, Genifique eye cream 3mls, Genifique 5mls Visionaire 5mls A small hypnose doll eyes mascara and juicy tube I pretty much got a whole skincare routine there which i'm so happy about i think im more excited bout the freebies haha got them in boots they have this offer till sunday i think when u buy any 2 Lancome items I also have a question does anyone know where u can get the Mac Pro Blush Palette in Ireland i'm in Limerick and they do not sell them here i might be in dublin sometime in the next month or so can u get them there??

The Mac concession in Brown Thomas does blush palettes as far as I remember. Maybe give them a call before you go up just to make sure!

which brown thomas is this in??

• Advertisement

Oops sorry, it's Grafton St, Dublin. Phone 01 617 1177

Twee. wrote: »
    Oops sorry, it's Grafton St, Dublin. Phone 01 617 1177
    thanks very much I will look into that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Got MAC paint pot in Rubenesque. I would describe it as almost rose gold in real life. I think it would look nice on it's own or as a base blended with other gold colours. I am going to try it as a highlighter with NARS Etrusque and maybe some dark browns.

100_4768.JPG

MAC photo from Jordy's Beauty Blog

nars_etrusque001.jpg

NARS photo from Temptalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Was in Sligo over the weekend, there's a pharmacy in the Quayside Shopping Centre I always go to-Cara Pharmacy, they always have great deals on expensive makeup brands so I normally stock up when I'm there. I got a bourjois lipgloss (Eau de Gloss) for 1.50, a Rimmel Lasting Finish Mineral Foundation for 4.00, W7 (great cheap brand) mascara, the Volumizing one and the Fuller Lash one for 1.50 each, a W7 Concealer that looks like Touche Eclat for 2.50, W7 Blusher that is a copy of Benefits Dandelion for 2.50 and this other brand of foundation that they're discontinuing for 1.50 (said I'd give it a go).

My aunt doesn't really wear makeup but its her daughters Communion in May and she wants to learn how to do it for then so I helped her pick out a few things. She got the Rimmel Mineral Foundation, a Rimmel Blusher, the same concealer as me, a foundation brush, a Rimmel Quad Eyes set in brown colours, an eyelash curler and Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, all for 48 euro. Beauty Flash Balm normally retails at 35 euro, including in Brown Thomas, they sell it for 31.50 in that shop, not only that but there was also 20% off it so she got it for like 25 euro or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Got a few of these in Penneys @€;1.49 each. Cant go wrong.

essence_glossy_lipbalm_berrysorb-1.jpg

Nice texture and smell.Great for someone like me who loses lipglosses to beat the band. No lipgloss lasts very long on me so for that price im giving it 8/10 to be honest as it does the job.

Also got this

ess_StayNatConcealer_01_N_11.png

Dont like this, its too watery and thin.Wouldnt recommend this so 4/10

Tried this palette and thought it was quite good.
    benefit-smokin-eyes2.jpg
    Colours of the shadows were decently pigmented but didnt like the brushes or tweezers so 7/10 for this palette.This would be good for a small handbag or travelling and need to keep things to a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

mcmacness wrote: »
    Was in Sligo over the weekend, there's a pharmacy in the Quayside Shopping Centre I always go to-Cara Pharmacy, they always have great deals on expensive makeup brands so I normally stock up when I'm there. I got a bourjois lipgloss (Eau de Gloss) for 1.50, a Rimmel Lasting Finish Mineral Foundation for 4.00, W7 (great cheap brand) mascara, the Volumizing one and the Fuller Lash one for 1.50 each, a W7 Concealer that looks like Touche Eclat for 2.50, W7 Blusher that is a copy of Benefits Dandelion for 2.50 and this other brand of foundation that they're discontinuing for 1.50 (said I'd give it a go).

My aunt doesn't really wear makeup but its her daughters Communion in May and she wants to learn how to do it for then so I helped her pick out a few things. She got the Rimmel Mineral Foundation, a Rimmel Blusher, the same concealer as me, a foundation brush, a Rimmel Quad Eyes set in brown colours, an eyelash curler and Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, all for 48 euro. Beauty Flash Balm normally retails at 35 euro, including in Brown Thomas, they sell it for 31.50 in that shop, not only that but there was also 20% off it so she got it for like 25 euro or something!
    I am constantly picking up bargains in there! Although it's usually the one in Bundoran I go to. Urban Decay eyeshadows for a fiver? Yes please :D And I got two Benefit cream eyeshadows for like 8 euro before xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Got these today :)

No7 Total Renewal Micro-dermabrasion Body Exfoliator - had a No.7 voucher to use, so this cost around €6.

10072457?wid=280&hei=343&op_sharpen=1

Nu Nale - this was around €4.

nn-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Bobbin did you get the Nu Nale stuff in Boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Love the packaging of the Nu Nale, so retro! Did you pick this up in Boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

ams wrote: »

I always get my Nu Nale in Boots, usually Jervis St I think. I love it, it lasts forever too.

• Advertisement

Is the Nu Nale stuff good? My nails could do with some TLC. I have a Sally Hansen nail repair gel but it take ages to dry and gets everywhere!

ams wrote: »

Yeah I got it in Boots in Mullingar.

Got a 100ml tube of this Percy and Reed Totally TLC hydrating mask for €2.99 for free with some magazine. The 175ml is £20 :eek:

image1xxlub.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Got two Opi polishes at the Irish Beauty Show from the new Holland Collection
    33-253x300.jpg
    tumblr_lyy0mzRaDy1qb69mh.jpg

Also got this have heard good things
    image1xl.jpg

And ordered this Sigma Kabuki Brush off Cloud10, can't wait to try it!
    63-219-thickbox.jpg

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    What's the name of this polish?

The colour is gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Has anyone here ever used Model in a Bottle?

http://www.modelinabottle.com/

I heard from someone that it actually worked for them, and it sounds like it'd be a godsend for me as my skins gets really oily after even like an hour unless I constantly powder it!

Sounds too good to be true...??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

What's the name of this polish?

The colour is gorgeous!!

I know it's really unusual! It's called 'I don't give a rotterdam':D

Lilyrose my friend got this for her kit at the beauty show I think she was going to try it on herself as well so I'll find out what she thinks of it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Rimmel Waterproof Gel Liner
    liner3.jpg (picture from Beaut.ie)

It's feckin' useless! It's too watery, you need to go over it a few times for a good thick line, and is about as waterproof as a spongecake. It had gone wandering around my eyelids about 10mins after I put it on, and seems like it never actually set. Catrice or Essence gel liners kick this yokes ass for at least half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Was very, very bold recently. But I'm 3 weeks off the smokes so I don't care.

First, I got a few bits on Beautyemporium.ie - they're having a massive sale (and postage is only €2)!!

BeautyEmporiumOrderFeb2012.jpg

Essie Nail Polish (Sexy Divide) - €9.20. Sleek i-Divine Palette (Storm) - €8.50. EOS Lip Balm Smooth Sphere (Sweet Mint) - €5.75. theBalm Time Balm Concealer (Light) - €7.00. Too Faced Lip Injection (Techno Glow) - €4.00

Then, E.L.F:

ELFOrderFeb2012.jpg

Blending, Concealer, Defining & Eye Shadow Brushes - €1.70 each. Nail Polish (Innocent) - €1.70.

And Rockalily:

RockalilyRocketteRed.jpg

Lipstick (Rockette Red) - £14.00

And eBay:

NYXSkyPink.jpg

NYX Lipstick (Sky Pink) - €5.70

And finally, local chemist sale:

LocalChemistFeb2012.jpg

Rimmel Renew & Lift Foundation (Ivory) - €4.99. Catrice Bohemia Definition Bronzer - €2.25. Catrice Length Mascara - €2.25. Catrice Polishes (Iron Mermaiden & Run Forest Run - have both already but both are being discontinued!) - €1.25 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

That EOS lip balm looks dinky! Is it any good?

Advertisement