Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

fashionista-matte-primer-2517675.png

I got this primer on a recent trip to Superdrug. I went in to get a new pot of the loreal studio secrets primer but when I spotted this for €5 less I thought I'd give it a try. It's a mattifying primer by a brand called FashionistA and I cannot recommend it enough! It gives a lovely soft base and I haven't needed to reapply make-up since I started using it. I don't even put powder on top of my foundation which I would with the loreal one. It's weird in that it's a gel which I've never experienced but it really is brilliant! 10/10 from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Tomissex I have a once used pot of the l'oreal primer if you want it? It doesn't suit me skin at all so you're welcome to it if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Tomissex I have a once used pot of the l'oreal primer if you want it? It doesn't suit me skin at all so you're welcome to it if you like!

That's really kind of you but I actually much prefer my new one :p Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

You could put it on the swap siopa on beaut.ie? Could get something for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

slowmoe wrote: »
    You could put it on the swap siopa on beaut.ie? Could get something for it

I've found another boardsie who's going to take it instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Can't wait to get these, only ordered them last night off cloud 10!

P84.jpg
    This is the Sigma P84, small brush for contouring under the cheekbones and stuff!

AAAADJCBrM4AAAAAASwNXA.jpg?v=1297789020000
    F82 Round Top Kabuki (already have the flat top one which is amazing so can't wait to try this!) Amazing for foundation!

Sigmamrsbunnycollectiontravelkit.jpg
    Finally also ordered the Mrs Bunny collection in this super girly shade, can't wait to try it and it's vegan! All brushes are synthetic and meant to be amazing, will post more pics when I get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I've picked up a few things over the past month or so.

Firstly, the bourjois healthy mix foundation. I like this cos it's so light on the skin - it feels like putting on moisturiser. I wanted a medium coverage as I felt Revlon colorstay a bit heavy for daytime, although I still reach for it for nighttime. This doesn't cover all my redness though. I found the best way to apply it was with my fingers and by patting it into the skin as opposed to rubbing. Otherwise it cakes around dry areas on my face that I didn't even know I had.

Hence purchase no. 2: no7 airbrush primer. I really like this. A little goes a long way. It has a lovely floral scent (like the foundation) and mattified the oily areas of my face while helping with the dry bits.

Also got bourjois chocolate bronzer in the lightest shade. This leans a tad orange so it needs a light hand on my fair skin. I like it for a contour though. It says it has a hint of sunshine but I don't know what that means - I don't see any shimmer! You get more product in this than the other bourjois bronzer but the soleil one looks better for pale skin anyway.

Got two lip butters in cupcake which is a nice pale pink and candy apple which is a bright red with orangey undertones. I love these, find them so comfortable to wear and require little maintenance.

Got a boots own brand cuticle oil which I'm undecided about. My cuticles were really dry and flaky. They're a bit better now a week after using this stuff. Maybe I was expecting a miracle but I'm disappointed not to have beautiful cuticles now. It's handy that there's a rollerball though.

That's the lot anyway. Thank God for boots advantage points!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Where do you get the 1000 hour softsole exfoliating foot peel in Dublin? I checked Boots today in jervis but they didnt have it?

SKIN%2079%20-%20Super+%20Belesh%20Balm%20Gold%20BB%20Cream.jpg

Love this, obsessed with Skin79 BB Creams!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Bought Revlon Photoready Airbrush Mousse Foundation in Shell this week. It's so light, feels like I'm wearing nothing at all (nothing at all, nothing at all :pac:) Good colour for my pale skin, although it didn't totally cover my angry red spots. Really like it! 8/10
    Also bought Max Factor Flipstick in Bloomy Pink. Kinda more metallic than what I was expecting. I just dab in on my lips as a stain. Nice selection of colours available. 7/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

PlayGirl wrote: »
    Where do you get the 1000 hour softsole exfoliating foot peel in Dublin? I checked Boots today in jervis but they didnt have it?

Hickey's pharmacy on Henry street is where I got it. It worked brilliantly the first time I used it but not so great the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm a little late on the band wagon but I bought two Real Techniques brushes today.

realtechniquesstipplingbrush.jpg
    The Stippling Brush

realtechniqusblubr.jpg
    The Blush Brush

Looking forward to trying 'em out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

SmokeyEyes wrote: »

Bought this recently too, loving it too :)

20260622 wrote: »
    Bought this recently too, loving it too :)

Excellent, they're a life saver for bad skin days!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Guys can I get some advice on the skin 79 stuff? I ordered the set of minis off eBay and while they are amazing the white ing effect isn't great as I like to look tanned. The pink one is my fave so far I've been wearing it under make up - do they do any in a slightly darker shade? Or is the idea to counter act grey / yellow tones and the bronze over them?

Guys can I get some advice on the skin 79 stuff? I ordered the set of minis off eBay and while they are amazing the white ing effect isn't great as I like to look tanned. The pink one is my fave so far I've been wearing it under make up - do they do any in a slightly darker shade? Or is the idea to counter act grey / yellow tones and the bronze over them?

The pink is the darkest I've tried and even then adjusts to my very pale skin! My mam said the same to me, I got her addicted but she'd like a slightly darker shade, a factor that seems less popular in Asia where BB Creams are so big!

MISSHA however (another big Asian BB Cream brand) seem to do a decent shade selection so they could be the way to go! Haven't tried them yet but they seem very popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Bought one of these yesterday in Perpetual Plum. Im not too impressed at all and even considering bringing it back to the pharmacy i got it from as the nib is either blocked or dried out. While the colour is nice if you even have a tiny bit of the balm on and try to top up the colour, the nib blocks and you end up trying to drag any bit of tint out of it. The pen feels quite harsh on your lips and overall lasting effect was poor. 4/10 and i wouldnt buy again.

rimmelliptint.jpg

Bought a real techniques set

starter_set_4f734f61a14a9.jpg

and the stipple brush

stippling_brush_4f8ee5668f992.jpg

Haven't had a chance to try them yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Smokey eyes your a star thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

SmokeyEyes wrote: »

I've been meaning to try out one of these "proper" BB creams for awhile now, however the "whitening" part is a little off-putting for me, there aren't actually any skin bleaching agents in BB creams like the one above, are there?

• Advertisement

I've been meaning to try out one of these "proper" BB creams for awhile now, however the "whitening" part is a little off-putting for me, there aren't actually any skin bleaching agents in BB creams like the one above, are there?

No bleach but sent me on an interesting search!

I kinda assumed it meant it was brightening rather than actually whitening but I ripped open the box and inside it states that ingredients Arbutin and Adenosine are used for whitening. Arbutin does in fact inhibit the production of melanin but I'll have to do some more research to see whether the amount found in these BB Creams is actually large enough to have any real effect, very interesting point though I'll come back to you on it!

Here's wiki links on them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Hi SmokeyEyes,

God sorry, didn't mean to send you off on a wild goose chase and send you off investigating at all! It's just I've seen you recommend Asian BB creams on here numerous times before, so I just thought you may already know about the term "whitening" - sorry for bothering you with it! :o

Thanks a million for going to all that bother however.

I'll be doing a bit of Googling on it myself now later on too.

Hmmmm, interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

lizt wrote: »
    Bought a real techniques set

starter_set_4f734f61a14a9.jpg

and the stipple brush

stippling_brush_4f8ee5668f992.jpg

Haven't had a chance to try them yet though.

These brushes seem like amazing value, are they good?

Linguo, still haven't had a chance to use them. The sets work out at really good value though and she has tutorial videos for each brush.

Hi SmokeyEyes,

God sorry, didn't mean to send you off on a wild goose chase and send you off investigating at all! It's just I've seen you recommend Asian BB creams on here numerous times before, so I just thought you may already know about the term "whitening" - sorry for bothering you with it! :o

Thanks a million for going to all that bother however.

I'll be doing a bit of Googling on it myself now later on too.

Hmmmm, interesting!

Not at all it's very interesting!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

What is the best way to wash makeup brushes? I used baby oil and baby shampoo last night but they still seem to have an oily residue on them? Any advice?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

What is the best way to wash makeup brushes? I used baby oil and baby shampoo last night but they still seem to have an oily residue on them? Any advice?

Thanks
    tiniest bit of fairy (washing up liquid)
    and warmish water

you can buy cleaning stuff in most chemist..
    not too expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Wanted to try the Elemis pro collagen cream for ages but its a little to pricey for me. But was browsing Asos today and they have a 15ml of it in a set of 2 products (the other being Tri-enyme resurfacing mask-15ml) for £11.20 But with the 24% off it works out at £8.96. http://www.asos.com//Elemis/Elemis-Mini-Essential-Anti-Ageing-Duo/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2126838
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdVGoqXApuewgbwiyM1RSOOvWqTdq3HLj2prz-i2_DxE1XWVsGpg
    (Nearly spent £50 on a more expensive set with 30ml of the cream!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks
    I use boots baby shampoo (about €1.50) and use some gentle conditioner on the brushes after to keep them soft.

For my Bobbi Brown bronzer brush (this one http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/2280/7783/Brushes-etc/Brushes-and-Tools/Cheeks/Bronzer-Brush/Award-Winner/index.tmpl ) I use a comb to brush the conditioner through it and then rinse it out and when it's rinsed out, I come it again just to make sure there's no conditioner left in it.

I got the baby shampoo about two months ago and haven't even used a quarter of the bottle yet, as you only use a tiny amount each time.

I definitely wouldn't be using baby oil, or any kind of oil on brushes, unless it was recommended.

• Advertisement

Thanks
    This is what Bobbi Brown recommends. here

How often should you clean makeup brushes?
    For concealer and foundation brushes, at least once a week to prevent a buildup of product. And because these brushes are used on your face, the cleaner, the better. Brushes that are used around the eyes should be cleaned at least twice a month, while all others can be washed once a month.

How do you do it?
    The best and most thorough method for cleaning your makeup brushes requires only water and either a gentle soap or brush cleanser. Using plain soap and water can dry out the brush's bristles, especially if they're made of natural hair. [Editor's Note: Try one part baby shampoo to four parts water.] Wet the bristles with lukewarm water, place a drop of cleanser into the palm of your hand, and gently massage the tips of the bristles in your palm. Always remember to keep the base of the brush head away from soap and water. The bristles are glued to the base, and water and detergent can cause the glue to disintegrate and the bristles to come loose and shed.

Rinse the bristles, squeeze out the excess moisture with a clean towel, reshape the brush head, and let the brush dry with its bristles hanging off the edge of a counter. This allows the brush head to dry into a perfect shape. Never let your brushes dry on a towel—the bristles can become mildewed.

How do you know when a brush is just kaput?
    When the bristles start to fray, shed, or lose their shape. I can't emphasize enough that the right tools are as important in getting the look you want as the actual makeup itself. If your brushes become too pinched or squashed, then they simply will not be up to the job.

Advertisement