Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Piper101 wrote: »
    I've been budgeting by buying maybelline foundation instead of my usual ELDW n have decided its false economy so repurchased it today, 35 euro but so relieved to have it back!!

Bought soap n glorys thick and fast mascara yest, not particularly impressed and got their eyebrow pencil/highlighter as it was buy one get second half price. Pretty good but not quite dark enough for me would def recommend for dark blonde light brown hair, I'm dark brown and I think rimmels professional one is better, pity tho cause liked it well enough.

Sad about the mascara. Why oh why can't they do something with the formula of benefits they're real? It's amazing stuff but dries out far to quickly to justify spending 25 euro on every month :(

Why don't you buy the smaller version of it. I got it in boots (Castlebar) last week cos I wanted to try it out. It was €11 which I think is bit more expensive but if your buying a new one every month it would be cheaper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Christmas pressies from the bf :D

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_123053015599_-1

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_123053297599_-1

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_123054988299_-1

Got this for free as there was 3 Lancome products ordered

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_123054902899_-1

And also got this free gift which has loads of bits in it.

231012_lancome-lg.jpg

In the gift there is a Silver make up bag containingg Galatéis Douceur 50ml, Tonique Douceur 50ml, Mini Juicy Tube shade 17, Hydra Zen SPF15 30ml, Genifique 5ml, Visionnaire 5ml, Mini Hypnose Star mascara and brush duo.

Can't wait to get them at Xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Piper101 wrote: »
    I've been budgeting by buying maybelline foundation instead of my usual ELDW n have decided its false economy so repurchased it today, 35 euro but so relieved to have it back!!

Bought soap n glorys thick and fast mascara yest, not particularly impressed and got their eyebrow pencil/highlighter as it was buy one get second half price. Pretty good but not quite dark enough for me would def recommend for dark blonde light brown hair, I'm dark brown and I think rimmels professional one is better, pity tho cause liked it well enough.

Sad about the mascara. Why oh why can't they do something with the formula of benefits they're real? It's amazing stuff but dries out far to quickly to justify spending 25 euro on every month :(

Liz Eldridge swears by the Bourjois healthy mix foundation, even above the more expensive ranges. I haven't used it before but will be buying it when my current foundation runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

You lucky thing Toast...so jealous of your Christmas haul!!:)

Off to Dublin tomorrow for some shopping. I'd like to pick up Estee Lauder DW foundation; seems quite popular. Or the new Dior Nude one...has anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Conrach wrote: »
    Liz Eldridge swears by the Bourjois healthy mix foundation, even above the more expensive ranges. I haven't used it before but will be buying it when my current foundation runs out.

I have tried this and desperately wanted it to live up to the hype but found it to be nothing special at all.Test it before you buy would be my recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Decided to treat myself to this :)

s1457571-main-hero.jpg

(€30 in Dublin airport)

Love it - eyeshadow colours are gorgeous on for one like me who favours a quite natural look.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I have tried this and desperately wanted it to live up to the hype but found it to be nothing special at all.Test it before you buy would be my recommendation.

You should give it one more chance. I was the same. After using it a few times, I thought it was a dud and stuffed it in the back of a drawer. Ran out of my regular foundation and had to use it in an emergency and it looked great! Have gotten loads of compliments on it since and I am now a total convert. I don't wear it for nights out but I think it gives a lovely glow for daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

Toast4532 wrote: »

Toast4532, by the looks of it you're a Lancôme fan.. I have Doll Eyes Mascara, been using it for a while now. It's fantastic :) I would also recommend the Lancôme Artliner liquid eyeliner.. Compliments the mascara very well.. And is easy to put on with a sponge top, not a brush.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I totally second this. It's nice enough and I'll finish the bottle but wasnt wowed by it the way I hoped from all the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

kandr10 wrote: »

I totally second this. It's nice enough and I'll finish the bottle but wasnt wowed by it the way I hoped from all the hype.

I didn't like it till I tried it with the healthy balance powder, I think they work lovely together. It's an overrated foundation but nice coverage and doesn't clog pores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Got this elf cosmetics sets last nite for only $33 :D
    Few presents sorted with these

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weebuns12

Went to a benefit shop today, first time in a stand alone shop of theirs! Was in to buy bella bamba which I'm really pleased with. Had been using dandelion but it lasts longer.
    Also ended up getting they're real mascara which is amazing! Feel as if I'm wearing false lashes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Got a beautiful peachy blusher ('Witty Peach') in Estee Lauder yesterday. Love the ombre effect. It was suggested to me by the sales man and it's a great colour for me I think! Estee Lauder is one of my favourites but I always thought some of the stuff was a bit old. This is a much younger product I think.

esteelauder2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

^ That looks so gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

Ok, someone shoot me.

You may have seen my big NYC haul a page or two back and I said I wouldn't buy anything for ages....... oops!!

In Boots during the week I bought:

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in 120
    Maybelline+Fit+Me+120+Liquid+Foundation+Bottle.png

Applies brilliantly with my Sephora Pro Airbrush Stippling brush. 1 pump is perfect for my whole face, with maybe a half pump to cover my disasterous spotty chin. Only problem I had was that my local Boots store only had 3 shades, 120 being the lightest and its too dark for me. Anyone know if the bigger stores have any lighter??

Essie Grow Stronger Fortifying Growth Treatment
    product_thumb%255B1%255D.png
    I haven't had a chance to use this yet

Revlon Lip Butter in Creme Brulee
    300.JPG
    Lovely shade, although probably not one I would use in the winter time... Will definitely purchase some of the other shades

I had got a couple of Dermalogica products from my local salon after a facial and a few samples, which definitely helped clear up my skin. A bit of an insight – I have pretty clear skin bar my chin – which is a disaster zone. Blemishes and horrible spots.... I could have 3 or 4 nasty blemishes at any one time and as one goes another 1 or 2 develops :-(

So, my local beauty salon recommended a few products and they definitely helped but I've run out and my skin is back to its bad behaviour.

So during the week I ordered quite a lot from BeautySkincare.ie – as it was much cheaper to order from here than purchase in my local beauty salon.

I got
    Dermalogica Special Clearing Gel
    special-cleansing-gel.jpg
    It came with 2 free gifts, Precleanse and Skin Prep Scrub

The Precleanse is amazing for taking off your make up. Literally melts your make up off and I'll definitely be purchasing this when the sample(s) run out.

I've used the Skin Prep Scrub before I applied make up foundation and it was excellent.

I also got Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant.
    daily_microfoliant_with_2_free_gifts_1000__68140.1349445059.1280.1280.jpg
    Its a daily exfoliant, which is gentle enough to use everyday – both morning and night. Its a powder formula which you apply onto wet skin and hands and it gently exfoliates the skin. This is one of the products my beauty salon recommended and I loved it so much that I repurchased.

This also came with 2 free gifts – Precleanse (yippee another bottle!!) and Gentle Cream Exfoliant which you use sorta like a masque, apply for 15 mins and then remove with warm water.

I also repurchased Dermalogica's Skin Smoothing Cream
    10366949-1352377145-928543.jpg
    In my local salon I think I paid €35 for the 50ml tube, on BeautySkincare.ie I paid €35 for the 100ml tube and I got 2 free gifts – a travel size Daily Microfoliant which will come in handy when I go away and Solar Defence Booster, which you can use on its own or mix with the moisturiser.
    I love this moisturiser, literally a pea size amount is PLENTY for your entire face and neck.

And lastly, I purchased the Dermalogica Special Clearing Booster
    531.jpg
    This is a blemish treatment, where you apply a thin layer to the problem area until it clears. I have only used this once or twice so I can't say about its effectiveness. I had tried samples of Overnight Clearing Gel in the past and it seemed to have worked after a few nights applications.

They also gave me some great samples, skin boosters, eye care cream and multivitamin hand and nail treatment cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

:eek::eek::eek:

And I thought I was pushing the boat out buying my first bottle of Estee Lauder foundation.:pac:

BTW, I think there's a 115 foundation in the Maybelline Fit Me range. Looks more ivory/cool toned than 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

RosyLily wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

And I thought I was pushing the boat out buying my first bottle of Estee Lauder foundation.:pac:

BTW, I think there's a 115 foundation in the Maybelline Fit Me range. Looks more ivory/cool toned than 120.

Thanks, will keep an eye out. I seen thay there is 110 and 115 but dont know of those shades came to ireland. 120 would look grand if I had tan on, but that is few an far between. I got MAC and Makeup Forever foundation in New York but don't want to use them everyday, hence buying Maybelline.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I recently bought some make up from ELF and although some of them weren't great, one of them was a gorgeous pigment eye shadow. It's called Mystic Moss and this is what it looks like:

IMG_5372.JPG

It's a mossy, sparkly green and goes on perfectly, it's super pigmented! I need some help though. :o I can't think of what kind of lipstick/gloss would look nice with it. Since it makes the eyes look all smokey and dramatic, I know I should go for something pale so I won't end up looking like a clown! But I really don't like how my face looks when I'm wearing a nude or pale lipstick. I tried some pinks and reds but none of the lipsticks I own looked nice. Any ideas what I could wear with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

suomi wrote: »
    I recently bought some make up from ELF and although some of them weren't great, one of them was a gorgeous pigment eye shadow. It's called Mystic Moss and this is what it looks like:

IMG_5372.JPG

It's a mossy, sparkly green and goes on perfectly, it's super pigmented! I need some help though. :o I can't think of what kind of lipstick/gloss would look nice with it. Since it makes the eyes look all smokey and dramatic, I know I should go for something pale so I won't end up looking like a clown! But I really don't like how my face looks when I'm wearing a nude or pale lipstick. I tried some pinks and reds but none of the lipsticks I own looked nice. Any ideas what I could wear with it?

You can go pale without it being nude and colourless! For something like that shade, I would say pick a caramel toned lipstick?

Like this one, in shade 7:
    http://www.rimmellondon.com/au/products/kate-moss-lasting-finish-lipstick/

Or this in Viva Glam II: http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/shaded/168/966/Products/Lips/Lipstick/Viva-Glam-Lipstick/index.tmpl

Brown tones don't suit everyone, but that's what I always default to for a more "full on" make-up look. It's way more subtle than a red or pink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weebuns12

Love that elf eyeshadow, do you get it in boots or superdrug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

You can go pale without it being nude and colourless! For something like that shade, I would say pick a caramel toned lipstick?

Like this one, in shade 7:
    http://www.rimmellondon.com/au/products/kate-moss-lasting-finish-lipstick/

Or this in Viva Glam II: http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/shaded/168/966/Products/Lips/Lipstick/Viva-Glam-Lipstick/index.tmpl

Brown tones don't suit everyone, but that's what I always default to for a more "full on" make-up look. It's way more subtle than a red or pink :)

Thanks for the links! I'm not sure if brown tones suit me, I think they make me look dead. :o I'll go see if I can find that Rimmel one though and try it on!
    Weebuns12 wrote: »
    Love that elf eyeshadow, do you get it in boots or superdrug?

I got it on their website, here: http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~246.htm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Got this Bobbi Brown Pale Pink blush recently in a blog sale - love it - its nicely pigmented and blends really nicely. I'm usually like Bosco with the blusher so pleasantly surprised with this one:

29wag6a.jpg

Also got Clinique Chocolate Lustre cream shaper for eyes - its really nice and lasts through my gym class:

rlfamh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Have used "they're real" mascara a few times and have to say that I am very disapointed with it:( Felt it looked really clumpy and mascara-y. Even my son said my lashes were stuck all together:( What am I doing wrong? Had a quick search through the thread and everyone liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

lindtee wrote: »
    Have used "they're real" mascara a few times and have to say that I am very disapointed with it:( Felt it looked really clumpy and mascara-y. Even my son said my lashes were stuck all together:( What am I doing wrong? Had a quick search through the thread and everyone liked it.

The first time I bought it I had the same experience, was really disappointed and found it dried up so quickly. Then the oh bought it for me as part of my Christmas present (2011) so I tried it again. LOVED it!!!! (Although still find it dries far too quickly).

Think the trick is to start at the roots and move the brush diagonally as you work outward. Also you can use the tip of the wand to fan out the corners. Don't give up yet!!!

Ps found after a week of use it got better, maybe there is too much product on th brush as this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a makeup brand that does nice eyeshadows? All the colours now that I've seen are a bit 'mad' for me! I really just like browns, dark purples/mauves and greys but it's very hard to find shadows of just these colours without there being a mad pink in it too or something!

Revlon used to do lovely ones but now they've changed their range again and I find the shadows just don't go on as well as they used to or something?

I don't want to go to BT and buy expensive shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi guys, can anyone recommend a makeup brand that does nice eyeshadows? All the colours now that I've seen are a bit 'mad' for me! I really just like browns, dark purples/mauves and greys but it's very hard to find shadows of just these colours without there being a mad pink in it too or something!

Revlon used to do lovely ones but now they've changed their range again and I find the shadows just don't go on as well as they used to or something?

Inglot :) I just picked out colours for my palette the other day (present from my sister, I'll be uber surprised on Christmas day). They're about 5 euro per eyeshadow, and the palette price depends on the size. Loads of colours, only downside is the classification/naming system... a bunch of numbers and letters opposed to, say, MAC's nice naming system

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

bscm wrote: »

Inglot :) I just picked out colours for my palette the other day (present from my sister, I'll be uber surprised on Christmas day). They're about 5 euro per eyeshadow, and the palette price depends on the size. Loads of colours, only downside is the classification/naming system... a bunch of numbers and letters opposed to, say, MAC's nice naming system

Fantastic quality and selection and the Freedom System is a huge plus. Only downside is it is only available in Dublin and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks guys! Shame I'm in Cork though :-( I've never heard of that brand though - can you get it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

leahyl wrote: »

Catrice have a 'fabulous 40s' collection that should be in chemists & shops here about now in those sort of colours. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for them but haven't seen em yet

http://www.catrice.eu/limited-edition/hollywoods-fabulous-40ties/detail/product/absolute-eye-colour-quattro-01-1.html

http://www.catrice.eu/limited-edition/hollywoods-fabulous-40ties/detail/product/absolute-eye-colour-quattro-02.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I bought Benefit's Porefessional recently, it definitely does make your make up look very flawless. However, it's pricey enough for the teeny tiny tube you get. The product is great but if you're using it everyday it probably won't last too long!
    http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/the-porefessional

I also bought Lush's new mascara. I was sceptical and am still not 100% convinced. I like nice, thick lashes but this is fairly watery to apply. Although, it doesn't feel heavy on my eyes at all and is removed easily unlike some other mascaras. It seems to have a conditioning quality to it too as my eyelashes feel very soft now. Maybe I just need to play around with it a bit more and try build up the thickness.
    https://www.lush.co.uk/product/6036/Eyes-Right

Advertisement