Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoopid Joomla Question...

• 11-02-2011 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Ok so I thought Joomla was some kind of web design environment, I want a simple template based thing to work on. I tried iWeb but it won't let me use my own server. Also tried the others, rapidweaver etc... Each had a problem either with too little content available or just didn't work on my set up.

So I downloaded Joomla and set it up on a local host (my own computer) set up an account and when I launch http://localhost:8888/joomla_1/ I get a "hello User page" all set up and working with an Apache and MySQL db happening.

So what now? Where's the templates? The editor?

I thought this was some kind of WYSIWYG affair?

Oops, Mods!!! This is in the wrong forum innit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

studiorat wrote: »
    Ok so I thought Joomla was some kind of web design environment, I want a simple template based thing to work on. I tried iWeb but it won't let me use my own server. Also tried the others, rapidweaver etc... Each had a problem either with too little content available or just didn't work on my set up.

So I downloaded Joomla and set it up on a local host (my own computer) set up an account and when I launch http://localhost:8888/joomla_1/ I get a "hello User page" all set up and working with an Apache and MySQL db happening.

So what now? Where's the templates? The editor?

I thought this was some kind of WYSIWYG affair?

Oops, Mods!!! This is in the wrong forum innit?
    Do you see a Joomla default website? - can you elaborate on "hello User page".

You might only have to log into the admin/control panel.

It might be better in web design section but it's not totally out of the world in here either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Do you see a Joomla default website? - can you elaborate on "hello User page".
    I guess it's a default page, it's coming from my Joomla folder inside the MAMP HT docs folder I guess.

It lets me log in as a super user but does nothing else. I'm in some sort of Joomla home page, apart from logging on I can't do anything else!!! There's no other text entry on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Did you install sample data during Joomla installation?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

you normally go to http:/yourDomainorIP/administrator

You should get a login and when you login be at the main configuration page with lots of icons for different management aspects of the website. If you are not sure that the install was 100% login to the joomla demo site at
    http://demo.joomla.org/1.5/administrator/
    user: demo
    password: demo
    to see what it should look like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

So I got a workaround for the moment. I tried Joomla and Drupal both working through a pretendy network via MAMP.

MAMP was great, launch the 'virtual' servers and open the start-up page. I figured out the set-up using Joomla, and applied the same to Drupal. I got a very simple site going with Drupal. The problem was that to use Joomla and Drupal a certain amount of html knowledge is needed. (more than just hacking!). For my money (or not) Drupal was easier to use having used neither before.

So the solution?
    Make the site on iWeb, Apple's easy-peasy WYSIWYG editor. And save the filesite inside the MAMP htdocs folder. Then use localhost:8888 etc to launch from the bowser.

Upcoming issues?
    I'm wondering how easy it's going to be to make a data base using i-wed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement