Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any events upcoming that Joe Soap can attend?

• 11-02-2011 5:16pm

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of anything that'll be happening in the next couple of days, weeks or months that might be interesting to photograph?

Would like to try photographing some bicycle racing, motor sports, parades, rallies, protests.. pretty much anything at all. Particularly during summer when we get those slightly longer, warmer days.

I often see people posting photographs of cars rallying around tracks, muck and dirt flying through the air, and I never hear of such events taking place.

For me in particular, I'm always trying to keep my ear to the ground for Emergency Service demonstrations that may be taking place near me.

So I was wondering if anyone had any plans for future events they intend to bring their camera to, that they'd like to share with the rest of us? Preferably events that anyone can attend and don't require accreditation or press passes or any of that kinda stuff. The kinda events where anyone can just show up and start snappin' away!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

who is this joe soap??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Theres a motorbike racing training day and track day taking place in Mondello on the 5th and 6th March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Try this:
    http://dublineventguide.com/

They might list the kind of things you're lookin for. Not sports I don't think but still might have some cool events you can go and photograph.

Theres a motorbike racing training day and track day taking place in Mondello on the 5th and 6th March

Never been anywhere near it, but Google makes it look like the sorta place you can't just wander in to? :confused:

Will check out the Dublin Event Guide now. Looks like a nightmare to read the site, though, so I probably won't look at it for long :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Egyptian Embassy might be interesting over the next few days. I've not heard of anything organized but theres bound to be a bit of flag waving.
    12 Clyde Road, Ballsbridge.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Get yourself to Dublin for the St. Patricks Festival.

Get there early to pick out a good vantage point and snap away at all the pretty colours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

redarmy wrote: »
    who is this joe soap??

The general public I think.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

There's a Kayaking competition at Jackson Falls in Wicklow at the end of the month, that seems to be open to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

http://www.indymedia.ie/ for lots of protest info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Generally you have to pay into Mondello, Ive been there a few times as I have a friend who races there, I think it may be around a tenner but I could be wrong, theres usually tickets at the hatch for me so I really dont know.

As regards to getting close enough, I dont know how great they are at just letting anyone down the side of the track, I usually hang out in the inner circle and then go up on top of the coffee shop to watch the race, the one time I took the camera with me for one friend racing they did let me on the inner side to take some pics, I guess you could approach one of the racers and see will they get you in and in return you supply them with pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Irish institute of photography website has a few coming up that are free to attend, such as a "Dublin city at dusk" shoot that takes an hour and starts at 17.45 in Dun Laoghaire if memory serves me. Details of that trip and a few others are on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Not an event for taking photos but it may be of interest to some -

Lecture – Plant hunting with a camera. Sidney Clarke
    Thursday 17th February

Sidney Clarke was Principal Photographer for the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh for 15 years until his retirement in 2003. He has traveled widely and has received several awards for his work, including the 'Dr. Andrew Duncan' Gold Medal by the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society in March 2010. He has also co-authored and been the photographer for a number of horticultural publications.
    Time: 8.00pm, Education and Visitor Centre Natonal Botanic Gardens
    Organised by the Alpine Garden Society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

There's a Kayaking competition at Jackson Falls in Wicklow at the end of the month, that seems to be open to all.

There's also Kayaking Intervarsities next weekend in Cork. Always great shots to be captured there

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

THE St Patrick's Day celebrations in Wexford will be extended this year with the Skyfest celebration taking place just two days later. Saturday, March 19, has been pencilled in as the date for the one-day festival, comprising a spectacular fireworks display (choreographed to music) and other associated activities on the quay. Gardaí in Wexford have already begun planning for the event.. It will not be officially launched until February 9, according to the National Lottery, the main sponsors of the event.

Advertisement