Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

humanji wrote: »
    Wolfforager linked to a Eurogamer comparison that says PC seems to be the better choice.

You can import your saves from the first one, but I'm not sure what effect it has.

Bought both the games, having awful trouble trying to install DA:O , some data error when isntalling via EA Download manager....
    People suggest re-download, but oh, the effort...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

B'ah bloody DLC achievements are all glitched 1st Fable 3 and now this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Can somebody give a definitive answer for the DLC? If I donwload the exiled prince can I still access it if I'm halfway through the game? Or is it only in Act 1?

With regards to characters, Isabel, Varric, Bethany and Merril are all good characters in my eyes. Fleshed out, you know where they stand and they have some great lines of dialogue.
    "I like big boats, and I cannot lie...."
    sticks out in my mind. :D

That Fenris guy just doesn't do it for me though. The possessed grey warden is a bit cliche aswell. And Aveline is really, really bitchy . She seems to moan about everything. I'm max friendbar with her but you wouldn't know it by the scowl on her face :p If there was another Tank option I wouldn't use her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Kirby wrote: »
    Can somebody give a definitive answer for the DLC? If I donwload the exiled prince can I still access it if I'm halfway through the game? Or is it only in Act 1?

I think its only ACT 1 too, unless Sebastian is in the main game too, honestly not 100% sure on this one.

Nearing the end of ACT 2 now, & man did I get a shock:
    Major
    Hawke's mothers fate, who saw that coming, not me thats for sure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And Aveline is really, really bitchy . She seems to moan about everything. I'm max friendbar with her but you wouldn't know it by the scowl on her face :p If there was another Tank option I wouldn't use her.

Aveline is the new Morrigan.

morrigandisapproves.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

How are ye finding the boss fights?
    Boss fights are ok so far (I haven't finished Act 1 yet). I usually die one or two times but once I start using crowd control and assists properly it's easy enough.

Kiith wrote: »
    Aveline is the new Morrigan.

morrigandisapproves.jpg
    I hate Aveline. I really really hate her. Infact the only character I like so far is Merill. Everyone else is either boring or annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Rarely use aveline, maybe for a difficult boss fight. I'm in love with isabella some of background chats of her with the other characters are brilliant.

And totally agree with ckwport, definately didn't see that coming.
    2nd dragon fight in the mines area was a seriously tough fight

BTW anyone have any trouble getting quests to kick off in darktown
    in patricular, hawkes uncles quest in act 3
    no destination icon appears,day or night, happened in another as well had to reload.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So from those of you who have played it extensively... is it worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yes.

• Advertisement

Absolutely!!!

If you like RPG's, you'll like this. Regardless of how different it is to Origins, it's still a very enjoyable RPG.

If you like RPG's, you'll like this. Regardless of how different it is to Origins, it's still a very enjoyable RPG.
    Depends on what type of RPG they like ;)

Jim wrote: »
    Depends on what type of RPG they like ;)

I still think if you like RPG's, regardless of how fast or slow the combat is, you'll like this. Take it as it is, not what you hoped it would be, and you should enjoy it (unless you only like JRPG's :rolleyes:).

I still think if you like RPG's, regardless of how fast or slow the combat is, you'll like this. Take it as it is, not what you hoped it would be, and you should enjoy it (unless you only like JRPG's :rolleyes:).
    Nah, I am actually enjoying the combat a good bit. The thing that annoys me the most about the game since I've started playing it properly is the very bland dialogue "choice" wheel and the characters voice.

Ugh, I'm not going to get into this again, but both those things are just **** **** **** for me.

Jim wrote: »
    Nah, I am actually enjoying the combat a good bit. The thing that annoys me the most about the game since I've started playing it properly is the very bland dialogue "choice" wheel and the characters voice.

Ugh, I'm not going to get into this again, but both those things are just **** **** **** for me.

I'd actually agree with you to a certain extent. Some of the choices are quite different to what your character says, and i find myself thinking "i wouldnt have siad that/it like that" quite a bit.

Still love it though :P

Voice acting in the game is fairly hit and miss I find. Some of it is great, some notsomuch. Male and Female Hawke are ok, nothing special. Although I do think male Hawke sounds good when he's speaking agressively ye olde style to certain people. The Quanri are a good example. He reminds me of Verenus from Rome.

The Dalish Keeper near the start of the game is excellent. I also like Merill, despite the fact she wavers from a Welsh accent to English all the time with a slight hint of Irish every now and then. I wonder does she actually think she's doing an Irish accent. Tomwise in Darktown, don't go near another voice over job again. Srsly.

Best is Cathy Janeway so far though. Her voice acting is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

http://i53.tinypic.com/2mzmjgi.jpg

Think im gonna re-install Torment :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Getting stuck into Act 2 at the moment, I'm enjoying it more than I was at the start as the storyline is getting going. I'm using Hawke as a Rogue + Isabella + Merril + Anders. So 2 rogues and 2 mages, which makes DPS and crowd control a doddle, but I'm suffering from not having a dedicated tank in some of the boss fights.

I do like the combat, although the way enemies come in waves appearing out of thin air really bugs me. It makes timing spells and talents and their cooldowns impossible. You use up all your talents and good spells on a boss and minions, then all of a sudden as you kill them 6 more Shades appear.
    I hate how they re-use gfx and layouts of maps, so lazy. And I'm not a fan of how (so far into Act 2 at least) you are stuck in Kirkwall, and the areas around Sundermount. Would much prefer more varied locations.
    I've gotten used to the talent trees and spell choices when leveling up, didn't like it at first, but it does really allow you to compose your team in interesting ways.

The enemies and fights have been a bit crap though in terms of using any tactics. The Rock Wraith fight was the only memorable one so far, really enjoyed that. Nearly every other fight though was rinse and repeat, waves of mediocre opponents with one tough one, next wave, then same again.

Does anyone actually read all the different codex walls-of-text?

I also find I'm not really paying attention to the details of most of the Quests, just following the quest markers and talking/killing/collecting as appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lafortezza wrote: »

Does anyone actually read all the different codex walls-of-text?

I also find I'm not really paying attention to the details of most of the Quests, just following the quest markers and talking/killing/collecting as appropriate.

Same here , add to that the sense of Deja Vu when going through some caves, the one up the mountain from the Dalish Camp was the exact same map with a different name as the one you go to on the coast to get the blood mages the templars were after. Talk about lazy level design, they didn't change it in the slightest , it's the exact same one :D

Agree though Act 2 is a big step up after my 20 hours of trawling act 1.

• Advertisement

Bethesda dealt with it by using a random generator for their dungeons in Oblivion....so no two would ever be the same. This worked to some extent but made for some really, really wonky layouts at times.

What Bioware need to do next time is recycle the same way with the backgrounds and textures, but change the layout by mirroring parts of it. Reverse some corridors to give the illusion that its a "new" cave.

Yes, its irritating when they recycle. But in a game this big, it has to be done. Problem is, they did it poorly.

Lafortezza wrote: »
    I do like the combat, although the way enemies come in waves appearing out of thin air really bugs me. It makes timing spells and talents and their cooldowns impossible. You use up all your talents and good spells on a boss and minions, then all of a sudden as you kill them 6 more Shades appear..

I get what you are saying, but it keeps the combat fresh. If they keep spawning in the same place in front of you, the mages and healers stay in the back and keep blasting away with impunity. You would never be in any danger.

With the random spawning behind you and to the side, you have to watch your mages because if they get surrounded by three melee, their squishy nature makes them die. I found myself gaurding Bethany this way alot during most of act 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I get what you are saying, but it keeps the combat fresh. If they keep spawning in the same place in front of you, the mages and healers stay in the back and keep blasting away with impunity. You would never be in any danger.

With the random spawning behind you and to the side, you have to watch your mages because if they get surrounded by three melee, their squishy nature makes them die. I found myself gaurding Bethany this way alot during most of act 1.
    Yeah, it keeps you on your toes, but in the tactical RPG which I wish DA2 was, you need to manage your cooldowns/potions/choices of tactics.
    So far in Act 1 I've been playing DA2 on hard.
    One encounter where there was a boss + a horde of tough minions, I balanced my attacks/spells/stamina to kill the weaker guys first, then concentrate on the boss. I've the boss half way down in health, thinking I can finish him off without using all my remaining potions, and about 6 more Shades appear to finish me off.
    Meh, I'm just whining a little now, it's not a game breaker, just a personal preference on tactics and stuff. :D

Changing the subject, the only other character in the game I actually like is Merrill. Much preferred the DA1 people like Shale/Morrigan/even Oghren.

Yeah, I get you. Bare in mind that you can get abilities that reset your cooldowns. My warrior has a move that gives me max stamina and resets cooldowns every 45 seconds. Rogue has something similar too. Don't know about mages but sure they are way OP anyway :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Interesting to see people enjoying it more and more as time goes by.
    I think ill grab it as soon as my love affair with rift eases a bit :p
    I dont like the sound of playing the same area over and over though.

It's a bit like mario 64. you had to play the same level 7 times to get all the stars but each time there was a new path opened up. It's like that. There are corridors that are blocked. When you come back later, they are unblocked.

It's not ideal though and does get on your nerves by act 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished it yesterday, i liked it. Game save was just over 30 or so hours, did most of the quests had 2-3 missed. Did feel that there could be a few more locations though.

Want to go rogue next playthrough but there's too many bloody rogues in it already and mage just really doesn't interest me.

ACT 2's conclusion was great...

ACT 3 is great so far, nice to see a few characters back from Origins.

Another thing I didn't see coming: Major
    Slaughtering the Dalish, did not expect that, I like how the game has stuff like that in it, that you'd never think would happen, hopefully a lot more twists to come

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

This is not a patch on the original Dragon Age game. There are so many flaws in it - don't get me wrong it's not a bad game in fact there is a lot to like but there are far too many negative factors at play:

1. The dialogue options
    2. Pathfinding and not being able to move the screen to see other areas of the map.
    3. The absence of fast travel -- why can't we pull out the map and click where we want to go. Leading your party by the hand through each screen is painfully slow.
    4. The story leave something to be desired.
    5. The inventory system is borked and it's kinda pants that you can't tool up your party with the weapons and gear that you would like.
    6. The NPCs are poor and there is nowhere near the level of interaction with them that was to be had in DAO or the Baldur's Gate games.

oh and targeting is a bitch, often you can't click on what you want to click upon... real pain

There are other problems but these are my main issues.

One thing it does have going for it is that they have done a better job balancing the difficulty level in this game than in DAO. I played DAO on nightmare and it was far too easy. In this game I tried nightmare up until the first encounter with the ogre, I've since had to revert to hard and even now some of the battles are challenging

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I killed
    dragon
    last night :D

Advertisement