Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Kiith wrote: »
    Like you didnt notice :p

Ha I couldn't notice because I haven't played the demo. I still haven't finished the first one but if combat has been dumbed down then I may skip it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I didn't really play the first, saw someone else playing it and kinda felt that it wasn't the game for me. Not a fan of "fiddly inventory/skills management" sorts of games (probably why I don't get the recent Fallout games). However, I got stuck into the demo last night and really enjoyed it. I'd even go as far as to say that this might be the game Fable 3 could have been (cause I was really disappointed in that). So I'm now at the stage where I'm quite looking forward to this game despite having had zero interest in the first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Interesting that the game is available illegally on the PS3 and 360, but not the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

lol now that has to be a 1st.

Speaking about 'dumbing down' and the games moving away from classic RPG style.

What are peoples opinions of the characters , or rather the player made main character been given a voice actor instead of traditional 'you read and pick the lines'.

A lot of people just seem to automatically assume voice acting = better. But I don't think its necessarily the case, in fact I've noticed the modern games seem to sacrifice a lot of stuff in order to give the main character a voice. When I was played ME1 I was very disapointed, I now had to put up with a total head wrecker for my main characters voice but what was worse, character interactions where gone for mid game.

In KOTOR you'd have plenty of conversations mid mission with your party, but in ME1 they were no better then Half life 1 bots in terms of conversation until you got them back to your ship.

Still I found my ways to enjoy it, picked Jennifer hale to voice instead and decided to treat the game as more of an interactive movie instead of an RPG.

I was relieved to see Dragon Age kept the classic style, and as a result there was plenty of party conversations to be had mid mission. But when I heard DA2 now gave your main character a voice I was gutted.

I fear DA1 may be the last time we have this classic style. A certain amount of depth and immersion is lost when they do this imo, kinda makes the character creation lose a little meaning also.

Interesting that the game is available illegally on the PS3 and 360, but not the pc.

Nevermind, it's up now :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nevermind, it's up now :P

To the interwebs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Played the Demo. They've annihilated the fcukin thing. I was looking forward to pulling a sickie next week too.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Can't wait for this, loved the first one and the story was great. Not much longer to wait for this now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I shall be leaving this alone until I have my two week break in May. Raging that I didn't back up my DA1 save game when I was swapping Xboxes though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gave the demo another try yesterday for a little bit, but no.. they've ruined dragon age. I was looking forward to dragon age 2 so much and this is just such a horrible dissapointment

on the plus side Ijust started playing stalker: shadow of chernobyl for the first time, and I have pripryat bought as well so i wont be stuck for rpg-ish fun. 10 hours straight today playing chernobyl... hell of a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gave the demo another try yesterday for a little bit, but no.. they've ruined dragon age. I was looking forward to dragon age 2 so much and this is just such a horrible dissapointment

on the plus side Ijust started playing stalker: shadow of chernobyl for the first time, and I have pripryat bought as well so i wont be stuck for rpg-ish fun. 10 hours straight today playing chernobyl... hell of a game

If you playing original then get oblivion mod for it. It makes game as it had to be, in fact, when developers where doing Pripyat they borrowed allmoust all stuff from oblivion mod.

Great great game.

As for dragon age.. I hawed it got dumped down. I watched some live stream of it, and it was prety... Horrible... It looked like 1 man bad slasher wit some party members doing feck knows what...

I will wait for few more rewies, then wait for bargain bin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing through the first one now, and while I like it - the choices are particularly well integrated - I hate the dull fantasy setting and the combat just seems bland to me. Probably in stark contrast to everyone else here :P There's a lot to like, but even though Mass Effect's sci-fi setting isn't the most original either, I enjoyed spending time in that world more-so than the elves/dwarves etc world of Origins. Still playing though, because despite the blandness of the setting I think Bioware's strengths show through in the amount of ways you can tackle problems which is even greater than the scope of ME2. Just a shame there's so much fantasy rubbish in between ;)

Obviously won't be on board for a second 'til I finish Origins (and have the ultimate edition so it's gonna be a while!) but if the writing and world are more interesting this time around, there's a lot of potential. Still think Mass Effect is my Bioware franchise of choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Played the demo. Can't decide whether I like it.

Combat seems a bit more responsive, and perhaps more satisfying for it, if a little dumbed down. The characters seemed dull and contrived though and the cut scene system is irritating they way it just boots into one without warning.

I dunno, looking forward to getting my hands on it proper (enjoyed the first one too much not to play this), but at the same time I don't think I'll be in a rush to get it once it launches. Might wait til we start to see its price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Playing through the first one now, and while I like it - the choices are particularly well integrated - I hate the dull fantasy setting and the combat just seems bland to me. Probably in stark contrast to everyone else here :P There's a lot to like, but even though Mass Effect's sci-fi setting isn't the most original either, I enjoyed spending time in that world more-so than the elves/dwarves etc world of Origins. Still playing though, because despite the blandness of the setting I think Bioware's strengths show through in the amount of ways you can tackle problems which is even greater than the scope of ME2. Just a shame there's so much fantasy rubbish in between ;)

Obviously won't be on board for a second 'til I finish Origins (and have the ultimate edition so it's gonna be a while!) but if the writing and world are more interesting this time around, there's a lot of potential. Still think Mass Effect is my Bioware franchise of choice though.

Yeah i really enjoyed Dragon Age, its rare i play a game all the way through and this one i did. But the story/setting was very generic and mostly uninteresting, couldnt be bothered to read all the codex stuff. Mass Effect on the other hand was one of the rare times in a game i read/listened every single bit of information i could, just found it far more interesting.

What kept me playing Dragon Age was the combat though, on Nightmare it was very strategic and challenging. From what ive heard thats all gone now, and if all im left with is story/characters then well, i couldnt really care.

Game isnt even out yet, and they've already released a high def texture pack for the pc. At least they didnt charge for it...

http://social.bioware.com/page/da2-patches

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jaysus, it doesn't bode well for the PC version. I was all excited when it was first announced, but now I'm waiting until the reviews and Boardsie opinions come in to see if I'll bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Game isnt even out yet, and they've already released a high def texture pack for the pc. At least they didnt charge for it...

Well it isjust over 1Gb of a download, if they were to try cram it into the box it woudl have been a two disc job and they probably had scheduled for it in the pressing factory. At least they gave the option rather than leaving it with the same lower res textures as the consoles.

And only review I have seen so far is PCGamer UK with a 94% score.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Well it isjust over 1Gb of a download, if they were to try cram it into the box it woudl have been a two disc job and they probably had scheduled for it in the pressing factory. At least they gave the option rather than leaving it with the same lower res textures as the consoles.

And only review I have seen so far is PCGamer UK with a 94% score.

GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME :D RPG of the decade they said ;)

Really excited about this game, cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Magill wrote: »
    GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME

well it shouldnt be

wait til the reviews that DONT meet the embargo beating requirements come out first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Does anybody know for sure if this is in the steam version? I am guessing it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kadongy wrote: »
    Does anybody know for sure if this is in the steam version? I am guessing it's not.
    Just read on Kotaku that they say it's compatible with the Steam version, so I guess it's not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i have this on pre-order so it will probably arrive early next week
    just as well as i wanted to get into the mood for it so played Risen which was decent and only finished it last night so it may be too soon for me to go straight into another big game
    might load up a good shooter in the meantime to blow the cobwebs out before starting into it, Black Ops any good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

If you playing original then get oblivion mod for it. It makes game as it had to be, in fact, when developers where doing Pripyat they borrowed allmoust all stuff from oblivion mod.

i am playing the complete 2009 mod/patch, but I went and did the last mission way way too early last night (didnt realise it was the last mission) so im gonanreload a previous save and just play the game out properly. Ill probably play pripyat after, then oblivionn lost SOC.. then maybe clear sky.. im hearing bad things about clear sky so im no rush

--edit

stop playing wow, and get back in starcraft.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

When is this out?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When is this out?

Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 45,937 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Skerries wrote: »
    i have this on pre-order so it will probably arrive early next week

same with myself. Posted out today, so probably get it some time next week. Order from play so they generally take a while, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

My Bioware Signature Edition DA2 came today... An unexpected suprise! Frigging nice one though. Just about to play this bad boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

jamezy wrote: »
    My Bioware Signature Edition DA2 came today... An unexpected suprise! Frigging nice one though. Just about to play this bad boy.

Mine too!!!

\virtual high five

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

jamezy wrote: »

:eek: where did you order from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

:eek: where did you order from?

gonna say videogamesplus since theyre on the ball delivery wise and its out here today

Advertisement