Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The launch DLC is disgusting, almost at Capcom levels of depravity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ShaneU wrote: »

Do tell ?

On another note I just remembered that DA:2 is also like mass effect in another way, save from DA:O can be used and the achievement whore I am will be using it (yes I looked at them) What 'Mass' effect does it have in Grand Theft Dragon Age 2??????

calex71 wrote: »
    Do tell ?

http://ie.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/115/1154710p1.html

This sort of thing wouldn't be happening if people didn't buy the terrible DLC for the first game, Awakening was the only thing worth getting.

http://ie.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/115/1154710p1.html

This sort of thing wouldn't be happening if people didn't buy the terrible DLC for the first game, Awakening was the only thing worth getting.

Bah at least with origins they gave shale dlc for free with a standard ed of the game :mad:

You get the mabari DLC free if you buy a new copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm a about 5 few hours into it.
    I've done ALL the side quests in the main town and just went to the mountain top at the dalish camp to free Flemeth from the medallion.

I like it. It's a Polished RPG. Bioware do their thing and overall I'm happy. Has it been dumbed down though? Definately. I do prefer the original in alot of ways......and was kind of hoping for more of the same as Origins. It's still good though and I figure there is atleast 30 more hours to go so i'll hold final judgement until then.

One thing I friggin hate is the new dialogue mechanic. I adore mass effect but this wheel crap needs to go. Pronto. It's not the wheel itself thats the problem, its the manor in which its presented to you.

I DONT WANT to be told which option is good, bad or funny. Whats the point in that? Give me the dialogue options in text and let me choose for myself....like Dragon Age 1. You never knew what the outcome of the conversation would be.....just like a real chat. And it made it unpredictable and great.

They need to go back to that. Remove Colours and symbols for your responses and randomize their positions. People should be thinking about the content of their answers.......not just "Oh well, I'm a good guy so ill pick the good option".

It demeans the interaction alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Bioware did the exact same thing with DA:O and ME2 on release, i dont see this as being different this time round.

I finally got to play it last night, about 2 hours in and the combat is entirely different although you can play how you want, button mash mindlessly or use the pause feature to issue commands to each of your party. That said its still button mashing.
    I know most of the people that have played DA:O will hate me for saying this, but i think the combat is an improvement over the original, visually the game as beautiful though it does seem darker than origins. The story and how its being told is holding true to biowares nature of involving the player, and despite the ****ty decision-wheel thing each decision does effect the outcome thus far. I can only assume that harder choices will have bigger impacts.
    But I do have to say i'm not disappointed that i paid for this game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Well from i can see they took out everything that really bugged me about 1, i liked 1 but too many many things bugged, battles didn't feel like you were involved, too much tooing and froing and my guy said SFA. i'd intention no of getting the 2nd. From what i've seen i'm definately getting 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I won't be buying it. The rubbish DLC I paid for in the first one soured the game for me and the demo of DAII is really disappointing and almost feels like Dynasty Warriors.

The fact that Bioware and EA are up to shady crap like this http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941 doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Never played the first one but cmae highly recommended to me by friends.

They all picked up the second one and are thoroughly enjoying it. We all play the same types of games, mostly into RPG's and they are saying its well worth the punt, there is easy over 60 hours gameplay, atleast.

Probably pick it up over the weekend, will grab the first one from steam .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

TheDoc wrote: »
    Never played the first one but cmae highly recommended to me by friends.

They all picked up the second one and are thoroughly enjoying it. We all play the same types of games, mostly into RPG's and they are saying its well worth the punt, there is easy over 60 hours gameplay, atleast.

Probably pick it up over the weekend, will grab the first one from steam .
    If you haven't played the first one, there's no point picking up the second just yet. The price is at it's peak at the moment and will only go down, so you'll save yourself a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I won't be buying it. The rubbish DLC I paid for in the first one soured the game for me and the demo of DAII is really disappointing and almost feels like Dynasty Warriors.

The fact that Bioware and EA are up to shady crap like this http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941 doesn't help either.

disgusting :mad: no other word for it, wth has happened to the bioware i grew up with and loved

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

Was about to post that link, there's a good article on RPS about it http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/11/ea-forum-bans-can-lock-you-out-of-games/.
    Surely its illegal to impede someones rights after the made the purchase, isnt that one of the basis for Geohots case, that you dont get to see the ToS/EULA until after you purchase the product. A comment on RPS article makes reference to certain laws that it may be considered in breach of :
    There are a number of ways in which a term of this sort might be attacked – for instance, under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, if a term “contrary to the requirements of good faith, causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer” then it is deemed unfair and therefore unenforceable against the consumer.

The Director General of the Office of Fair Trading has a duty to consider any complaint made to him alleging that a term is unfair, unless he considers the complaint to be frivolous or vexatious.
    I'll assume this is an American law but I was wondering is there an Irish equivalent. Ever since the Geohot case and even though I don't own a ps3, I've become very interested in the whole "you don't own the game/console you buy, you're merely renting it from us" stance that many companies seem to be taking nowadays

made a nice topic about how i feel on their forums, hopefully some devs actually read it http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6475936

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

made a nice topic about how i feel on their forums, hopefully some devs actually read it http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6475936

Hope you didn't call EA the Devil!!!

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Hope you didn't call EA the Devil!!!

no i reserve that for here :D fecking money grabbing game rushing dev ruining devils

Wow just when I thought my opinion of EA couldn't get any lower :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Crashing to the desktop. Awesome job bioware.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

To be fair, I haven't had a single crash or glitch. The only thing I've had happen is one of my party got stuck behind a door. Once. In ten hours.

Thats pretty impressive in my eyes. It also runs smooth as butter with everything on EXCEPT diffusion. Thats the real resource hog and why so many people complain about performance. Turn that off and everything else is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh my God. While I was reading this I was thinking "Heh, no way. By the end of this thread it will turn out that there is a very good explanation". The last post is a moderator basically saying "Yes, well, go fu*k yourself".

Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm happy with EA to be honest. I put the DA2 codes for the GameStop and Dead Space freebies on my account. Not only did they transfer the codes for me, they gave me a code for the signature edition, the Emporium and the Exiled Prince DLC for free!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

doesn't read any different from what mods on here say, especially on politics or some of your more 'heated' forums, bioware dude has alot more riding on his response than boards mods too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Ok, here are my impressions so far;

Graphics are excellent. I am playing it on DX11 with the High Texture Pack, and it looks stunning in comparison to the first Dragon Age.

Gameplay is enjoyable. Faster and more frantic. I am playing it on Nightmare difficulty and the pause-action is imperative. This difficulty is very challenging, and it is not possible to play the game 'on-the-fly' as such.

I am playing a Mage, and when you are being smashed by a melee enemy and he knocks you down, its almost impossible to get out of that abuse. Reactions can be quite sluggish. For example; if you get knocked down, getting back up and trying to move is almost impossible. Very frustrating.

Dialogue and story is very good, but the characters are not as memorable as Origins. I have recruited 4 party members and none of them portray the same personalities of Alistair or Morrigan. Perhaps this will change as I move further through the story.

Ultimately, I can't give a concrete decision yet. I am enjoying it, I am hooked and want to keep playing it, but I can't say its better or worse than Origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

some of the dalish "irish" accents are hilariously bad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

humanji wrote: »
    If you haven't played the first one, there's no point picking up the second just yet. The price is at it's peak at the moment and will only go down, so you'll save yourself a bit.

yeah kinda phrased that one wrong, obviously will cram through the first one, then will look into the second one, few weeks down the line ;)

Only 36 euro on play.com, not bad price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Liber8or wrote: »
    Dialogue and story is very good, but the characters are not as memorable as Origins. I have recruited 4 party members and none of them portray the same personalities of Alistair or Morrigan. Perhaps this will change as I move further through the story.

True, but the Welsh Elf is entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Digital Foundry Face Off:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dragon-age-ii-face-off
    PC>PS3>360

Basically locked bad framerate on 360 vs better frame rate on PS3 with more screen tearing

They do mention that the PS3 MLAA anti-aliasing is on par with the 8x AA offered by the PC, interesting stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Enjoying the game alot but it is very different from the first game and very similar to mass effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Something that always annoyed me about RPGs....

500x_07virtual11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Right, so i've managed to get a good run at it over the weekend (25 hours in :o) and i think it's great. It's quite different from Origins, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

The combat has come along nicely from the start of the game, with a load of useful skills, and you really need to be more tactical about how you play then you did in the first few hours. The auto-attacks are much faster, but are actually effective enough for your bog standard enemies. They look pretty cool as well, especially some of the dash-type attacks. Mage spells are pretty much identical, except for the stupid fancy looking autoattack, which is a bit over the top.

Story has gotten very good now, and the 3rd chapter ending was excellent. There are some genuinely tough choices to make, where you aren't sure what's right/wrong. There's a huge anount of side-quests as well, although the area's are all the same. One of my main annoyances with it so far is that every area is re-used loads of times, with a stone door stopping you from going further quite regularly.

Overall, its really enjoyable, and i'm looking forward to seeing how the story turns out.

Also, hide-helmet? Thank you Bioware! :D

Advertisement