Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty question

Options
  • 11-02-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

If I bought 2nd hand electrical goods, for example a tv or laptop, which were still under warranty while in the possession of the original buyer, does my purchasing it invalidate the warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes there is no consumer protection for buyer of second hand items.

It's not perfect but usually when I sell something I give the receipt if I still have it. What the new owner does after that is their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If I bought 2nd hand electrical goods, for example a tv or laptop, which were still under warranty while in the possession of the original buyer, does my purchasing it invalidate the warranty?

It depends on the terms and conditions of the warranty, some are transferable, some aren't. You'll have to read the fine print of the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yes there is no consumer protection for buyer of second hand items.

It's not perfect but usually when I sell something I give the receipt if I still have it. What the new owner does after that is their business.

Not quite true, if you bought the second-hand goods from a business you are fully protected by consumer law, however if you bought it in private sale you're on your own.

Anyway the OP is asking is a warranty is transferable, not his statutory entitlements.

Advertisement