Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice with .22lr ammo,scope and liscence?

Options
  • 11-02-2011 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

hi guys put a deposit on a bolt action cz 455 .22lr lastnight:D

just wondering what is the best ammo and what ammo people avoid with the .22lr? my dealer sells the 525 federal value pack and american eagle 40pack has anyone tried these brands in theyre .22lr?

i was also wondering if people could tell me a suitable scope for night time bunny shooting! i was looking at the bushnell banner 6-18x50 only 170euro delivered from opticswarehouse.co.uk

oh and one last thing i have no land of my own will being in a gun club be okay with the gardai for gettin a .22lr liscence or will i get permission from a landowner aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

If the gun club has shooting over land with bunnies that should be enough for the guards, but if I was going shooting over club land at night I would approach the landowners first and get permission. As for ammo, each rifle has it's own preferences but mine likes Federal, Lapua and Ely. CCI will not extract live rounds reliably in my CZ. Try and buy a box each of a few different makes and see which suits your rifle. Also High Velocity ammo is never as accurate as subsonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

thanks for reply:) im gonna get one landowners permision just to give them no excuse:cool:

what scope would you recommend/use yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

thanks for reply:) im gonna get one landowners permision just to give them no excuse:cool:

what scope would you recommend/use yourself?

are you going to get it threaded for a mod? subsonic rounds can be got for the .22lr

it comes threaded and yes getting moderator aswell:D
    ive seen them aright but what are subsonic rounds exactly im not familiar with them??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

hi guys put a deposit on a bolt action cz 455 .22lr lastnight:D

just wondering what is the best ammo and what ammo people avoid with the .22lr? my dealer sells the 525 federal value pack and american eagle 40pack has anyone tried these brands in theyre .22lr?

i was also wondering if people could tell me a suitable scope for night time bunny shooting! i was looking at the bushnell banner 6-18x50 only 170euro delivered from opticswarehouse.co.uk

oh and one last thing i have no land of my own will being in a gun club be okay with the gardai for gettin a .22lr liscence or will i get permission from a landowner aswell?

Neither of those 2 choices of ammo are that good at grouping but Eley and Laupa group well in the CZ style I had and the CZ varmint I now have.

Opticswarehouse won't ship out of the UK.

And that scope is good choice on the 22lr, a little over powered @x18. Any of the better 4-12x40mm or 50mm scopes will do you, and the Banner is the start of the better Bushnell range of scopes, followed by the Legends, Elite 3200, Elite 4200 and Elite 6200.

Subs travel less than the speed of sound so are quite enough, even more so when using a mod.

• Advertisement

it comes threaded and yes getting moderator aswell:D
    ive seen them aright but what are subsonic rounds exactly im not familiar with them??

subsonic bullets have a muzzle velocity less than the speed of sound so therefore it wont produce a loud crack like a supersonic bullet.
    so basiclly its quieter. supposedly more accurate according to wikipedia when i was reading about them before

i contacted optics warehouse and they said they do ship to ireland just enter your payment as a one off payment on theyre website contact them if your thinking of buying! good prices compared to over here:D
    that same scope is 330euro in duffys galway whos he trying to cod :rolleyes:

garv123 wrote: »
    subsonic bullets have a muzzle velocity less than the speed of sound so therefore it wont produce a loud crack like a supersonic bullet.
    so basiclly its quieter. supposedly more accurate according to wikipedia when i was reading about them before

sounds the job for lamping:D which brands make these? and do they pack less of a punch due to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

sounds the job for lamping:D which brands make these? and do they pack less of a punch due to this?

No punch anyway.

I got 2 scopes from OWH before they put up a sign of "UK only" but that's good that they will ship over here.

i dont have any experience with the rounds so il leave that to someone else;)
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15_35&products_id=55
    theres the elay from duffys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

im usein ELEY subs at the min and there very accurate.

with a mod the is very little sound at all its brilliant

but i do fell sometimes tgat they lack power a few rabbits i should have dropped they just bounced up in the air and ran of but head shots is what you need with the subs

if its a fast round with power the cci stingers are what you want there hyper velocity not as accurate but great power they zero good enough in my cz

not as good as the eley subs on groups doe

stingers are very hard to get lately plenty of eley subs around

if you zero with the mod make sure and shoot with it on aswell because it can change your zero when taken off and if you zero with it off it can change zero when put on so keep it in mind

best of luck with her anyway

im usein ELEY subs at the min and there very accurate.

with a mod the is very little sound at all its brilliant

but i do fell sometimes tgat they lack power a few rabbits i should have dropped they just bounced up in the air and ran of but head shots is what you need with the subs

if its a fast round with power the cci stingers are what you want there hyper velocity not as accurate but great power they zero good enough in my cz

not as good as the eley subs on groups doe

stingers are very hard to get lately plenty of eley subs around

if you zero with the mod make sure and shoot with it on aswell because it can change your zero when taken off and if you zero with it off it can change zero when put on so keep it in mind

best of luck with her anyway

thanks for reply and ammo advice im gonna try the cheapest which is federal value pack and if thats jamming or really bad accuracy then im gonna try a few other brands till i get something that works well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

i havent used federal myself but tge 22 lr is the cheapest rifle to run so all ammo is fairly cheapjust be carefull with the cheaper ammo its not really dirty or that dirty ammo is just not good for barrel eley subs are about 6-7 euro for 50 not expensive

but its up to you and what ever works in your rifle

Advertisement