Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to deal with this teacher?

• 11-02-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Ok, I realise i'm going to sound like an attention seeking sobber but anyway! :P.. Ok i'm in 5th year (and not trying to brag or anything) but i'm a damn good student. I do ALL my homework and study everyday for at least 2 hours. I get on well with the people in school and all of teachers except 1. My Irish teacher totally despises me. She has called me names such as "A waster" "A sickener" "A control freak" and "A constant commentator".. Any comment I make is shot down. I decided to post this looking for advice as today I took a small drink of water from a bottle I had in my bag. The teacher in question slammed her book on the desk and called me "A useless, frustrating little boy" I was absolutley appauled and a little upset if i'm to be honest. This teacher has reduced girls in my class to tears and called one girl Fat to her face.. I'm looking for advice what to do. There's 2 other OL classes and i'm considering joining one of them.. It's the worst part of my day having to face her 6 times a week and I actually dread the language because of her.
    (I realise i've just whinged the whole post but i'm at a loss what to do).. Has anyone been treated like this before? If so what did you do? Thanks for any comments/advice.. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Ok, I realise i'm going to sound like an attention seeking sobber but anyway! :P.. Ok i'm in 5th year (and not trying to brag or anything) but i'm a damn good student. I do ALL my homework and study everyday for at least 2 hours. I get on well with the people in school and all of teachers except 1. My Irish teacher totally despises me. She has called me names such as "A waster" "A sickener" "A control freak" and "A constant commentator".. Any comment I make is shot down. I decided to post this looking for advice as today I took a small drink of water from a bottle I had in my bag. The teacher in question slammed her book on the desk and called me "A useless, frustrating little boy" I was absolutley appauled and a little upset if i'm to be honest. This teacher has reduced girls in my class to tears and called one girl Fat to her face.. I'm looking for advice what to do. There's 2 other OL classes and i'm considering joining one of them.. It's the worst part of my day having to face her 6 times a week and I actually dread the language because of her.
    (I realise i've just whinged the whole post but i'm at a loss what to do).. Has anyone been treated like this before? If so what did you do? Thanks for any comments/advice.. :o
    complain her to the principal

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

in b4 op gets done for murder :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

You shouldn't have to feel bad because some teacher is on a power trip.

Go to a guidance councilor with a list of the names she called, tell them there are also witnesses to the names she called you.

If you think the guidance councilor is not taking you seriously ask them is there a way to make an official complaint against the teacher.

Again you should not put up with any abuse from a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

An official complaint to the principal is your best bet. Ask if you can meet him/her in the office, rather than just saying it out of the blue. Perhaps some other students feel the same and also want to complain. In that case go as a group. The principal will take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Absolutely, make a complaint to the principal. Make sure you have everything straight first though, as if you go in unprepared it can come off badly. If you can get another student to go with you and have examples to back this all up, it'll go much better.
    I had a similar situation with a teacher who has since left the school (a coincidence, not by result of anything I said!), who used frankly abusive language when reprimanding me for something I hadn't done - a fact backed up by the teacher standing next to her! The issue was dealt with quickly and confidentially and there was no backlash. That being said, I wasn't taught by this teacher at the time so it was relatively easy to avoid contact - the fact that you have this teacher regularly really means you have to have all your facts laid out beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I just told my parents your story and Dad gave my mother a knowing smile. She had a similar story with her biology teacher, she's quite thin and was always being picked on because of it...by the teacher! I couldn't believe it. She said it went on for over a year and then went to the principal, who then facilliated a meeting between them. She was moved into another class.
    It just really grates on my nerves that she feels she can treat you like this, surely she is there to teach, not to pick on you. Just be careful that she is taken on one-on-one as if five vs. one for e.g. happens she could say it was unfair. Best of luck, you're in the right here, just remember that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Keep a diary of incidents, gather witnesses and go to the Principal.
    Are you the only person in the whole school she treats like this? Surely not. Find the others and go together to the Principal.

Don't involve guidance counsellors - it puts them in a very awkward situation with a colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

As someone has said record everything. Write down dates, everything she said to you, everything you said to her. Try to write it factually, avoid writing about how you felt, just write the facts. Take it to the principal, he/she has to investigate it. I am a teacher myself, and your account of events has upset me because every year I see amazing teachers losing their jobs while some weak/poor teachers are keeping theirs because of permanency. If the principal's response does not satisfy you, write to the board of management. Hope things work out ok for you op.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Initially make a complaint to the principal, that you are being bullied.

As mentioned already, keep a diary of all the events, including witness names. Should events continually persist, particularly in relation to name calling of a personal nature, then make a written complaint to both the principal and the board of management. The board of management have a duty under health and safety regulations to investigate all forms of bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

PictureFrame, you should be hearing a clear message by now, including from two teachers.

In the meantime, don't let it upset you ... remember that this is her problem, not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Can I reiterate what Spurious said, don't include other teachers. Makes it awkkward for them. But record everything. Best of luck.

We don't countenance the discussion of violence as a solution to life's problems on Boards, and we certainly don't countenance it in this forum.

That the relevant posts were most likely tongue-in-cheek I accept, but leave it out please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

spurious wrote: »
    Don't involve guidance counsellors - it puts them in a very awkward situation with a colleague.

Isn't that a career guidance counsellor's job though? I would think about other teachers if I were you Picture Frame - if you think your Career G counsellor can help then go to him/her, this needs to get sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Career Guidance teachers are teacher (sounds silly!) not in management, therefore they have no right to intervene here.

Isn't that a career guidance counsellor's job though?
    No.

The hint is in the job title.

They're there to advise on careers, training, education, etc. The good ones often broaden that out a bit. They're not school management, and they're not some kind of lawyer / advocate for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 debarran

I am sorry to hear what is happening to you in your Irish class. As others have suggested, write everything down as soon as possible after an incident. Go to the Principal and explain how this makes you feel, letting him/her know how intimidated and inadequate the teacher makes you feel. Remember the teacher is not a superior being but is there to impart her knowledge to students and not to ridicule them and reduce them to dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

No.

The hint is in the job title.

They're there to advise on careers, training, education, etc. The good ones often broaden that out a bit. They're not school management, and they're not some kind of lawyer / advocate for students.

Maybe it's just my school then but our Careers G. also provides help (wouldn't call it counselling as he is not a general counsellor) to people who are stressed, having a tough time at home, being bullied etc.

Anyway, surely any teacher who is told something by a student must act on it (report it to the principal) if the student is any way at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Yes they can provide support but not necessarily act on your behalf, you should go on your own. They are on the same level as the teacher in question.

Maybe it's just my school then but our Careers G. also provides help (wouldn't call it counselling as he is not a general counsellor) to people who are stressed, having a tough time at home, being bullied etc.
    Which is partly what I meant by ...
    The good ones often broaden that out a bit.

... but ...
    They're not school management, and they're not some kind of lawyer / advocate for students.

It really is a much better idea to approach the principal directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Nothing will be done unless you record it and go to the principal. Try to have a few people who would be willing to back you up in these claims to prove you're not just making it all up (in case the teacher denies it). I know sometimes teachers can get stressed and snap unnecessarily, but calling any student useless (especially multiple times) is just pure out of order.

Good luck with everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the teacher is always to blame and you have portrayed yourself as the victim. in real life we have to deal with difficult people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

nightster1 wrote: »
    complain her to the principal

or run home and tell mummy. you can worry about growing up maybe ten years from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Anyway, surely any teacher who is told something by a student must act on it (report it to the principal) if the student is any way at risk?

True, but it puts the guidance counsellor in an awkward position having to report a colleague, they are also giving second hand information to the principal. It would be better for the OP to write down everything that was said to him, dates, times, and perhaps a list of people who were in the class who are willing to speak to the principal rather than have them be put on the spot.

The teacher cannot call you names like that. It's bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the teacher is always to blame and you have portrayed yourself as the victim. in real life we have to deal with difficult people.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    or run home and tell mummy. you can worry about growing up maybe ten years from now.

Unhelpful and unconstructive contribution to a discussion not appreciated. Don't post in this thread again.

Advertisement