Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Vs. Manchester City (SS2 - 12.45)

• 11-02-2011 7:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

147575.png
    Manchester City have the chance to blow the Premier League title race open as they visit derby rivals United on Saturday.

United suffered a shock 2-1 defeat at Wolves last weekend, bringing an end to their 29-game unbeaten league run and ending talk of the Red Devils emulating Arsenal's 'Invincibles' of 2003/04.

Following that first league defeat of the campaign, Sir Alex Ferguson's men will be eager to get their title hopes back on track and regain the consistency that saw them win nine of their previous 11 league games.

But Wolves' victory has shown the Blues that their city rivals are not invincible and three points from the crunch clash at Old Trafford would be a timely shot in the arm for Roberto Mancini's expensively-assembled squad having taken just one point from trips to Aston Villa and Birmingham before beating West Brom 3-0 last week.

It may be churlish to say but such has been the hype building up to each United-City clash over the last two seasons it seems this is the most eagerly-anticipated Manchester derby since the last one - which happened to be a damp squib of a 0-0 draw at Eastlands in November.

But now there is much more at stake as the result of Saturday lunchtime's derby will have a major impact on the title race, making it arguably the biggest since March 27, 1968.

That day City won 3-1 at Old Trafford before going on to pip United to the league title by just two points, while the Red Devils won the European Cup.

Vast investment by City, Carlos Tevez's controversial cross-city switch and vows to challenge United's supremacy have revived a rivalry that for so long had looked dead. And this season the Blues have managed to back up their claims of finally becoming genuine title contenders once more.

While both City and United were in the top four when they met in November, Chelsea were league leaders and in top form. But the defending champions have now slipped to fourth while City have maintained their title challenge.

Victory at Old Trafford would put City two points behind United - although the hosts still have a game in hand - and Arsenal will host Wolves knowing they can go within a point of the Red Devils.

While Mancini may argue he did not send City out just to keep it tight at Eastlands, the statistics suggest otherwise. In four games against their three title rivals this season, they have had two 0-0 draws, scored just once in the win over Chelsea and conceded just three - all after Dedryck Boyata's early red card against Arsenal.

And it could be another defensive display by City given their recent derby record. While City won the first leg of their epic Carling Cup semi-final duel last season, their last derby win in the league was when they won at Old Trafford in February 2008 to do a long-awaited double over United. The Red Devils have won four out of five since, including their memorable 4-3 win in last season's Old Trafford derby.

Team news

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Chris Smalling will make just his fourth Premier League start for United, making it the biggest game in the 21-year-old's career.

The former Fulham centre-half has been handed his chance as Rio Ferdinand has not recovered from the calf injury he sustained in the warm-up at Wolves, while Jonny Evans suffered an ankle injury after starting in place of Ferdinand.

Ferguson may also rotate his midfield, choosing two from Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Anderson.

Roberto Mancini could remain without Nigel de Jong as the Dutchman is doubtful with an ankle injury so Pablo Zabaleta may continue in a midfield holding role, but defender Micah Richards could be back in contention.

Adam Johnson (ankle) remains out so Mancini could bring in fellow winger Shaun Wright-Phillips if he opts to add some pace to his midfield.

Top scorer Tevez is expected to be deployed as a lone striker although Mario Balotelli (knee) could make a shock return from the bench having not featured since December 28.

Possible starting XIs:
    United: Van der Sar, Rafael, Vidic, Smalling, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Berbatov.

City: Hart, Boateng, K Toure, Kompany, Kolarov, Zabaleta, Barry, Milner, Y Toure, Silva, Tevez.

Absolutely massive game tomorrow and Smalling really has to step up! Can't friggin' wait!!!!!

Personally I'd like to see...

-Rafa - Smalling - Vida - Evra

Nani - Carrick - Anderson - Giggs

Berbatov - Rooney

Carrick in as he's actually had a couple of decent games recently compared to Fletcher and I think Anderson has it in him tbh.

I'm not even going to attempt predicting the scoreline.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Smalling to score his first United goal in the Stretford End to win the game 2-1.

Nani and Dzeko to score the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Rafael to finish the job on Tevez tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Generic comment about crests/info in first post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

2-2 score draw for me

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Generic comment about crests/info in first post
    It's all there?

Crests are one big image and the info is a quote... if you're on the mobile site you may not notice it :P

It's actually quite well done. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

City 3 - 0 Stretford Rangers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Damn straight. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

It's all there?

Crests are one big image and the info is a quote... if you're on the mobile site you may not notice it :P

too right it is .
    vds
    rafael smalling vidic evra
    carrick flethcer
    nani anderson park
    rooney
    thats what i would like to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

too right it is .
    vds
    rafael smalling vidic evra
    carrick flethcer
    nani anderson park
    rooneys
    thats what i would like to see

Fletcher is a doubt for the game.

I'm sure SAF will go two up top surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It's all there?

it wasnt a criticism, it just seems that every united match thread starts with some sort of comment on it.

if go 8 out of 10 :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

double GG wrote: »
    Fletcher is a doubt for the game.

I'm sure SAF will go two up top surely?
    Well then scholes for fletch . i dunno know about two up top tbh prob go like for like with city

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    it wasnt a criticism, it just seems that every united match thread starts with some sort of comment on it.

if go 8 out of 10 :P
    Oh, well that's because Baz makes crappy ones :pac:

Calm down Baz, just joking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Can only fear as a City supporter Mancini will play for a draw, and we will get beat. Tevez upfront by himself, supported by 5 in midfield. Really think we have a chance of beating them if they just went for it, especially with Rio missing.

****ing it...as long as there isn't more last minute heartbreak. 3 times last season was nearly enough to drive me to insanity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I would think that Mancini will set his team up defensivly once again like the arsenal game so i would hope United will play 2 up top and be positive.

Keep Tevez quiet and we will win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I actually can't see Manchester United winning this tomorrow.

0-0 or 0-1 to Manchester City IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Despite Utds defence, Mancini will play for a draw. And lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

I think Manchester will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

0-0 yawnfest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

City are incapable of playing attacking football against any decent team (Spurs, Arsenal, United, etc.), even against Chelsea they were shockingly defensive. Obviously Mancini to blame, hopefully he'll surprise us all and go for a 4-3-3 with Tevez & 2 of Balotelli/Da Silva/Dzeko to start.. I doubt it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Most season ticket holders in Manchester 3-0. Home win that is. Let thebanter begin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Same again please................

ManchesterCity0ManchesterUnited1PaulScholestimingisjustperfectwithlateclincher5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Same again please

79688135.jpg

And again...........
    ManchesterUnitedvManchesterCityPremierZAwYM6Zzi1bl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think City will attack tomorrow. Massive match. Need big performances from Nani and Rooney. Biggest game of Smalling's young career - I think he's up to it.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think City will attack tomorrow. Massive match. Need big performances from Nani and Rooney. Biggest game of Smalling's young career - I think he's up to it.

I think City have to attack tomorrow as a draw is really no good to them.
    If we win and Arsenal as expected pick up 6 points City really are in dire straits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Has anybody thrown the formbook out the window yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Essien wrote: »
    Has anybody thrown the formbook out the window yet?

on the ground, walked rained and spat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

A must win game for United for so many reasons. After losing to Wolves in the manner that they did, they cannot afford to lose to City at OT.
    It could knock the stuffing out of them.
    As far as City goes, I reckon they will go 4-4-2. They have the superior midfield and if they want to show ambition towards winning the title, this is how they do it.
    Praying for any kind of a United win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭timbel

Utd are usually crap in early kickoffs, but hopefully we will be up for this one, especially with the kick up the arse we got last week.

2-1, Chich with a late winner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This is always a big game but tomorrow really is very important. A win at OT for city could be the injection needed to really push on while a win for Utd would get them back on track nicely.
    A loss for City is expected by alot of fans but a loss for Utd would mean back to back defeats (and to City aswell) and all of a sudden the pressure would be rightly on!
    A city win (1-2) for me - and I would be very surprised if it finishes 11 V 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭davocesque

im surprised by comments saying United have finally been beaten so City wont feel like United are invincible and so can push on and win. United havent looked invincible at all, i dont think anyone thought theyd go unbeaten, and alot of people did actually call the result before the Wolves game. With this in mind, i think United will play more relaxed, Rio is a massive loss though, different team when either Rio or Vidic are missing.

United will score early, City will have to come out and play, 2-1 united!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A city win (1-2) for me - and I would be very surprised if it finishes 11 V 11.

As long as it doesn't start 12 v 11!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

timbel wrote: »
    Utd are usually crap in early kickoffs, but hopefully we will be up for this one, especially with the kick up the arse we got last week.

2-1, Chich with a late winner

Unfortunetly,according to SSN, i believe Chicha is out for tomorrow's match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Stupid friendlies. :mad:

They should have done what Brazil did. Brazil only took European based Brazilians to play France so there wouldn't be as much travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Indeed Chica is out for tomorrow, played a friendly with Mexico yesterday or something like that! Im obviously pleased Rio and Jevans are out tomorrow, although Rio has a history of pulling an auld clanger against us!

City don't really need to attack... If we we're looking to win the league i would say we had to but it's all about stayin in the top 4 and not losing, so Mancini will no doubt play to frustrate and we'll end up conceeding somewhere around 4pm and the game will make for absolutely horrendous viewing! As most City fans will do, i shall fear the worst and be pleased with what bit of good may or may not come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

a very hard result to call.
    a lot will depend on the way utd play.
    a poor performance and we are in big trouble
    a good team performance where were up for it and pass the ball
    i reckon we will beat city.

city only play one way imo,never brillant-never really poor
    they will play with 1 up front, 4 in MF and 5 at the back.
    they will settle for a 0-0.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

blueshed wrote: »
    a very hard result to call.
    a lot will depend on the way utd play.
    a poor performance and we are in big trouble
    a good team performance where were up for it and pass the ball
    i reckon we will beat city.

city only play one way imo,never brillant-never really poor
    they will play with 1 up front, 4 in MF and 5 at the back.
    they will settle for a 0-0.
    Worst. poem. ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭timbel

f*ck sake, forgot about that stupid friendly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

City have to come out and try to win this one don't they, a draw is no good to them, hopefully is a better game than the pile of ****e earlier in the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ESPN Classic are showing Football's Greatest Rivalries. Take a guess who they are showing! :D

I had to laugh at the commentator, after City clearing a ball off the line and a nasty tackle is thrown in, "this game now has warmth and passion". Pfft! There is never warmth is these matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hate to say it but I've a horrible feeling United might lose this one. Smalling has a lot still to learn imo and always looks to me like he has an error in him. Evans wouldn't inspire confidence either though admittedly. I can see there being goals in this and I just hope United's strikers have their shooting boots on and that this can prove the difference. Can't call it.

Hate to say it but I've a horrible feeling United might lose this one.
    I can see there being goals in this and I just hope United's strikers have their shooting boots on and that this can prove the difference. Can't call it.

That nervous ya confused yourself.........:P

Also feeling nervous about this game,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

niallo27 wrote: »
    City have to come out and try to win this one don't they, a draw is no good to them, hopefully is a better game than the pile of ****e earlier in the season

Wouldn't be hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

hoolies_1823937b.jpg

Greater Manchester Police have came up with that website in an effort to deter any violence tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

a draw in this one would do nicely;)

City happy to play for a draw away from home.

United might sneak it I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

BERBA wrote: »
    a draw in this one would do nicely;)

I wouldn't worry about the teams ahead of ye berba you should look behind you Kenny is going get you

niallo27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the teams ahead of ye berba you should look behind you Kenny is going get you

cheers niallo , your having a laugh by the way , kennys crew will come 6th , no need to worry bout that lot

BERBA wrote: »
    cheers niallo , your having a laugh by the way , kennys crew will come 6th , no need to worry bout that lot

I'd have to agree with Niallo, you should be looking behind you instead of ahead.

I'd have to agree with Niallo, you should be looking behind you instead of ahead.

why?:confused:

city are 5 off us and we a game in hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement