Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Vs. Manchester City (SS2 - 12.45)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm a man who deals in facts and the fact of the matter is City is within the City of Manchester and United are outside, from the borough of Trafford. Ergo Man City are the only team from the City of Manchester.

By your facts City (who are in Bradford borough) should be Bradford City -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford,_Greater_Manchester

Speak up now, i want to hear you nice and clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

flahavaj wrote: »
    I actually thought of him when it went in, I'd have liked to hear his reaction tbh.

Poor Andy, he would have had the touchscreen out drawing lines all over the place!

And Richard Keys wouldn't have let Mike Summerbee almost bring young Jamie to tears during the post match analysis. Don't think Jamie is used to someone not agreeing with his bullsh opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Poor Andy, he would have had the touchscreen out drawing lines all over the place!

And Richard Keys wouldn't have let Mike Summerbee almost bring young Jamie to tears during the post match analysis. Don't think Jamie is used to someone not agreeing with his bullsh opinions.

The only tears I saw were Yorkie's tears of laughter tbh.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'm a man who deals in facts and the fact of the matter is City is within the City of Manchester and United are outside, from the borough of Trafford. Ergo Man City are the only team from the City of Manchester.

ergo, no derby. ergo city still the most massive massive club in manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Its a sad reflection on how little ammunition the bitters have as the weeks go relentlessly by with United still top of the pile tbh.

Well, you did say there was only one team in Manchester. It's all banter, you gave, you take, you are both factually incorrect.

What's sad is the divisions this game has driven between fans on a day when we should come together to celebrate perhaps the greatest shinned goal of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭BenK

lordgoat wrote: »

It's all a bit bamboozling really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Fuhrer wrote: »
    City Of Manchester Stadium
    Bradford,
    Manchester,
    England

And by your logic the only team in Manchester should be called Bradford City... Oh wait.

Leave the real City out of this, mon the mighty bantams!

BenK wrote: »
    It's all a bit bamboozling really...

Not at all really. Most of us can see exactly what he's trying to do.

Pity he's so sh-ite at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Your just making it worse for yourself.

"How can I make it worse? Jehovah............Jehovah..............Jehovah..........."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Ah but there is a Bradford City already in league existence.;)

Man City's first stadium was Hyde road in Ardwick in the city of Manchester.

Their next stadium was Maine road in Moss Side, also within the city of Manchester.

Now the City of Manchester stadium is in Baradford also within the city of Manchester.

United have always been based outside the city limits of Manchester, first in Newton Heath and then in Trafford.

Well done to United on winning the Manchester & Trafford derby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

The only tears I saw were Yorkie's tears of laughter tbh.:pac:

Yeah poor Mike was a bit wound up alright. Loved the bit where Yorkie said the difference between the two teams was that United took their chances when city didn't. Mike jumped on it saying City had more chances, then the stats showed two more on target shots for United. His reply? "I don't believe in stats!"

For me City passed the ball and moved well for large parts of the game, without really exposing the United back four. When the went behind, twice, their play seemed to be affected badly. They needed their goal to perk them up a bit. But on the balance of play over the 90 minutes I felt United were good value for the win.

Delighted to see young Smalling play so well. He looks like a right replacement for Rio when the time comes. Great to see Nani continue his good form. Still worrying that Giggs is one of our most creative players. We badly need someone to replace him as he won't be able to keep up that level of play for much longer I fear.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Well, you did say there was only one team in Manchester. It's all banter, you gave, you take, you are both factually incorrect.

What's sad is the divisions this game has driven between fans on a day when we should come together to celebrate perhaps the greatest shinned goal of all time.

Mike Summerbie and his grasp of facts says hi.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

by the way, a quick mention for Giggs.

once Rooney scored, his composure, ability to relieve pressure, keep possession and make the right choice was priceless.

you can't teach that sort of stuff; it only comes with the experience of winning so often.

it's another reason why, unfortunately, it'll be no. 19.

Arsenal are the only ones who can even claim to have a shout. and that's only if VP doesn't break.

Their next stadium was Maine road in Moss Side, also within the city of Manchester.

Now the City of Manchester stadium is in Baradford also within the city of Manchester.

United have always been based outside the city limits of Manchester, first in Newton Heath and then in Trafford.

Not only are you a man of facts, you're a main of changing definitions.

By your own words you claimed correctly that united were based in a borough of greater manchester. You also ignored the fact that so too are city.

Now you've revisited where the clubs used to be for some unknown reason to try and back up your argument. Also if you want to look into this as well i'm pretty sure NH and Arwick would have been similar districts. Again i need to talk to someone to confirm this, as he said it in passing before and i never pressed.

Both clubs are now within the city of manchester. This is a fact. Seen as you're so fond of them i'd suggest you file it away. Cos you're old argument and incorrect facts are making you look like a wind up merchant and i'm sure you'd hate to give that impression

The bit in bold is the bit you need to fix both are with the boroghs of manchester. Your words dude. All you have to do is google.

Giggs did well in the second half but before the 40th minute he was pathetically poor, couldn't beat the first man with any cross and gave the ball away frequently.

SlickRic wrote: »
    by the way, a quick mention for Giggs.

once Rooney scored, his composure, ability to relieve pressure, keep possession and make the right choice was priceless.

you can't teach that sort of stuff; it only comes with the experience of winning so often.

it's another reason why, unfortunately, it'll be no. 19.

Arsenal are the only ones who can even claim to have a shout. and that's only if VP doesn't break.
    He had a great battle with Richards all day. I've long given up trying to find superlatives. Scholes I thought as well once possession football wwas needed did really well.

And a word for the much-maligned JOS today, I thought he had a really good showing, his best in ages. Totally justified his selection and I think his was a very reassuring presence for Smalling to have to help him out.

Giggs did well in the second half but before the 40th minute he was pathetically poor, couldn't beat the first man with any cross and gave the ball away frequently.

100%, wouldn't argue with that.

but in the second half, and particularly in the last 15 mins, he was the best on the park on Utd's side.

invaluable experience.

but in the second half, and particularly in the last 15 mins, he was the best on the park on Utd's side.

invaluable experience.

For the last 15 mins or so he'll make my top 3 in the MOTM vote. At one stage he was on the ball for an age just toying with defenders, not bad for someone approaching 40. Must get fierce dissatisfying playing against him in all these derbys...

2yuzz89.jpg

Could stare at it for hours.:eek:

• Advertisement

I've never seen anything like it says Fergie:

www.goal.com
    Sir Alex Ferguson almost ran out of superlatives when describing Wayne Rooney’s overhead volleyed winner, as Manchester United beat Manchester City 2-1, claiming he'd "never seen anything like it".

A strong contender for goal of the season, Rooney swivelled under Nani’s hanging cross and positioned himself perfectly to unleash a perfect overhead kick into the top corner of Joe Hart’s net.

It was exactly what Rooney, and his team, needed after a season of many more downs than ups compounded by City equalising fortuitously when Edin Dzeko’s shot took a huge deflection off team-mate David Silva and flew past Edwin van der Sar.

“I've never seen anything like it, that's for sure. Absolutely stunning. Unbelievable”, Ferguson marvelled to Sky Sports.

“The thing about that goal is that Nani's goal will be completely forgotten and it was a fantastic goal. [His] first touch takes it around the defender and he rolled it into the net. It was an unbelievable goal but no-one in their right sense will even talk about it!”

United took the lead late in the first half, which was controlled for the majority by City, when Giggs found Nani charging into the area and the Portuguese took one touch and slotted it past Hart, but all the talk will be about Rooney’s winner.

When asked if the goal was Rooney’s best of his career, Ferguson was adamant it was.

“He hit a volley at Newcastle some seasons ago, but in terms of execution you will never see that,” the 69-year-old continued.

“I hope [it kick start’s Rooney’s season], I have to say I know what I need to get out of Wayne. His performances away from home have not been as good as they have been at home and with the ability those two have, they should really dictate games away from home.”

Looking back at the entire game, Ferguson believed his side deserved the win on the whole.

“I thought City made the bright start, they got inside the Evra with Silva and Yaya Toure and that caused us a bit of bother. But from the fifteenth minute on I thought we played fantastic football.

“The width of the game was terrfic, Ryan Giggs' composure in tight situations, Nani is threatening all of the time with shots at goal and great crosses in. We deserved to be in front at half-time.

“Second half, City made a change by bringing Wright-Phillips on which helped them on that side of the pitch, but nothing really bothered us. They got a lucky break when Dzeko's shot deflected off Silva and from that moment on they gave them the imputus. When you score goal in big games, that can happen and that's what City got.

“We had so many chances to get that second goal, even at 1-0, but in the heat of the moment players make quick decisions. Sometimes they are right, times they are wrong.”

City now lie eight points behind United having also played a game more but, despite this deficit, Ferguson insisted that City are still in the title race.

“No, no. They are in the top four," he said. "They've got a big, strong squad. They will win more games than you'd think. They are still a threat.”

In 1885, Bradford, Harpurhey, Rusholme and parts of Moss Side and Withington townships became part of the City of Manchester. In 1889, the city became the county borough of Manchester, separate from the administrative county of Lancashire, and thus not governed by Lancashire County Council.

So Bradford is part of the city of Manchester.

The metropoliton borough of Trafford is part of greater Manchester where United are from.

Were a team called Dublin United and from Lusk and a team called Dublin City from Sheriff street would you consider both teams from the same city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Why single giggs out??you could say the same about nearly everyone on the pitch,in particular fletcher,silva,anderson,tevez all guilty of poor passing and decision making,the difference being giggs really turned it around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

invaluable experience.

His running and control was fantastic, I think towards the end he acting like he was going to take it to the corner and run out the clock, he then beat his man cut to the outside and hit this blind back pass towards Fletcher on the edge of the box who was so impressed he forgot to actually do anything with the ball.

So Bradford was part of the city of Manchester.

The metropoliton borough of Trafford is part of greater Manchester where United are from.
    And so too is Bradford.

Were a team called Dublin United and from Lusk and a team called Dublin City from Sheriff street would you consider both teams from the same city?
    wtf ?

This is 2011. Once more 2011.

Edit: Also weren't City formed in 1893? So that would be after 1889, the city became the county borough of Manchester. So In 1893 Bradford was a borough of Manchester. Just like Trafford? No?

Again you can keep going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

You really are struggling now aren't you, you're pulling it all out of your hole.

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Why single giggs out??you could say the same about nearly everyone on the pitch,in particular fletcher,silva,anderson,tevez all guilty of poor passing and decision making,the difference being giggs really turned it around

Silva was excellent in the first half. Missed a good chance but his passing was second to none, drifting in between the midfield and defence and causing problems. He had a very good game I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

if they were both the same distance from the city centre. for the record, i doubt many people from ireland would be hugely pushed with postcodes, i don't think most united fans started supporting the team due to some deep rooted affinity with the city of manchester!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Silva was excellent in the first half. Missed a good chance but his passing was second to none, drifting in between the midfield and defence and causing problems. He had a very good game I thought.

I can recall a couple of occasions when a city attack broke down from a loose pass by him

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I can recall a couple of occasions when a city attack broke down from a loose pass by him

I can recall the whole first half where Giggs was much and gave the ball away nearly every time he touched.

Silva had a great game at times but his constant drifting from the left meant united only had to defend one flank and gave us plenty of space on the right. Most noticeably for the first goal when Nani has an empty pitch behind him.

Huge weakness if city keep playing this way.

• Advertisement

Remember the sig changes when Rooney put in his transfer request?

Bwahahahahaha. That worked out well.

article-1321997-0BAE0063000005DC-568_634x370.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Not that I give a sh!t but Newton Heath is in Manchester, Governed by Manchester CC.

But seeing as we are having a somewhat pointless debate I'll add my 2 cent worth by claiming that United are the top side on merseyside at he moment by virtue that OT is closer to the Mersey than Anfield:rolleyes:

whatnext wrote: »
    Not that I give a sh!t but Newton Heath is in Manchester, Governed by Manchester CC.
    :

I thought that too but i've gotten bored proving him wrong, and lost the will to look it up.

Whole thing reminds me a bit of this.

They do as Quimby suggests, until there are only a few of them at the
    bottom of a hole forty or fifty feet deep.

Quimby: I guess we're not going to find anything.
    Otto: Um, how are we going to get out of here?
    Homer: We'll dig our way out!
    Wiggum: No, dig _up_, stupid.
    -- "Homer the Vigilante"

whatnext wrote: »

But seeing as we are having a somewhat pointless debate I'll add my 2 cent worth by claiming that United are the top side on merseyside at he moment by virtue that OT is closer to the Mersey than Anfield:rolleyes:

Liverpool unbeaten in 5 league games. United unbeaten in a miserable 1 league game. Liverpool are the form Merseyside team at the moment.

Liverpool unbeaten in 5 league games. United unbeaten in a miserable 1 league game. Liverpool are the form Merseyside team at the moment.

Sorry you seem to have ignored some posts directed to you.

Having difficultly understanding them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Sorry, my version of the league table must be upside down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

United got 3 points today, liverpool got 1. Who's the form team now:p

Silva had a great game at times but his constant drifting from the left meant united only had to defend one flank and gave us plenty of space on the right. Most noticeably for the first goal when Nani has an empty pitch behind him.

Huge weakness if city keep playing this way.

Agree completely. It means that one of the defensive midfielders, like Barry, has to cover the left flank and therefore City can be exposed in the middle. City probably should go 4-2-3-1 and put Silva in front of the 3 in a less disciplined position from where he can wreak havoc but enabling City to keep shape at the same time.
    I thought that too but i've gotten bored proving him wrong, and lost the will to look it up.

Whole thing reminds me a bit of this.

They do as Quimby suggests, until there are only a few of them at the
    bottom of a hole forty or fifty feet deep.

Quimby: I guess we're not going to find anything.
    Otto: Um, how are we going to get out of here?
    Homer: We'll dig our way out!
    Wiggum: No, dig _up_, stupid.
    -- "Homer the Vigilante"

I'm not going to honour that post with a proper answer.
    This is 2011. Once more 2011.

Edit: Also weren't City formed in 1893? So that would be after 1889, the city became the county borough of Manchester. So In 1893 Bradford was a borough of Manchester. Just like Trafford? No?

Again you can keep going...

The city is still 1 of the 10 county boroughs of greater Manchester. The metropolitan borough of the city of Manchester is where City are from. United are from Trafford which is greater Manchester, not from the City of Manchester.

At what point in the process will you have your eureka moment and all the tough geography lessons will suddenly become clear?

United got 3 points today, liverpool got 1. Who's the form team now:p

Form is generally expressed over a 5 or 6 game period in football. Here is the current form table based on the past 6 games.

You'll see Liverpool are in fact above United.

Agree completely. It means that one of the defensive midfielders, like Barry, has to cover the left flank and therefore City can be exposed in the middle. City probably should go 4-2-3-1 and put Silva in front of the 3 in a less disciplined position from where he can wreak havoc but enabling City to keep shape at the same time.

I'm not going to honour that post with a proper answer.

The city is still 1 of the 10 county boroughs of greater Manchester. The metropolitan borough of the city of Manchester is where City are from. United are from Trafford which is greater Manchester, not from the City of Manchester.

At what point in the process will you have your eureka moment and all the tough geography lessons will suddenly become clear?

So both are boroughs of Greater Manchester? As they pretty much always have been? Unless you go back to N Heath which existed before the nomenclatures and was just from Manchester.

• Advertisement

So we can't be called Manchester United because we're from Manchester?

You're logic knows no bounds sir.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    So we can't be called Manchester United because we're from Manchester?

You're logic knows no bounds sir.

Maybe we should be called Greater Manchester.

Although not in the name, still true.

Seriously lads, why even get into it? Blue Moon level stupidity.

Celebrate FFS!!!

Watch Evra in the background at around 34 seconds. I love him. Its exactly what I did when it went in as well. Hands to the head.:pac:

Maybe we should be called Greater Manchester.

Although not in the name, still true.

Greatest Manchester.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Greater Manchester United sounds like a match for Massive Manchester City.

Ok, settled.

We are Greater Manchester United :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I've seen ABUs talk absolute **** before, but it has now been brought to a new phase.

Phase desperation.

This is incorrect. For the second time. City are currently in Bradford borough

And if you try and play the history card again, i'll keep correcting you.

Newton Heath is in Manchester, Governed by Manchester CC.

So that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Great win for United and superb goal from Rooney

• Advertisement

i feel fúcking filthy as fúck.

i've watched that Rooney goal 30 times at least now.

and Premier Soccer Saturday's about to start.

suppose i'll be watching it again then...

Advertisement