Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Dublin Bus Xpresso Changes

Options
  • 11-02-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Times are a changing.

Possible changes are being proposed at the moment which could effect your services and you need to be vocal rapid.

All the below are suggestions, to be added or discarded by next week.

The possible merging of the first two deparures, 630 and 645 ~ with a new 640 from Newcastle.

The 725 being removed, the excess going onto the 730.

All stops being observed from the N11 to Kilcoole/Newcastle.

Cabinteely being added to the stops.

Evening services, 1650, 1710N, 1730, 1750 and 1830 from Eden quay/Heuston Stn or Parnell. TBA.

I know from past meetings you guys are good with emails and getting under managers skins..........................;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Times are a changing.

Possible changes are being proposed at the moment which could effect your services and you need to be vocal rapid.

The possible merging of the first two deparures, 630 and 645 ~ with a new 640 from Newcastle.

Evening services, 1650, 1710N, 1730, 1750 and 1830 from Eden quay/Heuston Stn or Parnell. TBA.

I know from past meetings you guys are good with emails and getting under managers skins..........................;)
    when you say all stops being observed from the n11 do you mean once it comes off the motorway at southerncross? as i thought they stopped at most stops from there on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

when you say all stops being observed from the n11 do you mean once it comes off the motorway at southerncross? as i thought they stopped at most stops from there on anyway

An extra 14 to Kilcoole, another 6 beyond to Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

The_Wrecker how do you know all this?
    Where and when will this be decided?
    Thanks.

In general has anyone thought if it would be more beneficial to run the 84X out the Farrenkelly road (well at least some of them). Starting from Blacklion and out through Charlesland. I reckon it would cut more than 15 minutes off the journey keeping it to an hour, or under, from Greystones DART station to City centre.
    I know it would skip Windgates (2 people max) and the southern cross. However it would be much quicker and therefore more popular for most. But as I said not all the buses would need to take this route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The OP is well connected in DB and used to post under another ID.

His info is good. Actually in the process of e-mailing DB as I write, just popped in to collect the facts!

Gargamello wrote: »
    The_Wrecker how do you know all this?
    Where and when will this be decided?
    Thanks.

In general has anyone thought if it would be more beneficial to run the 84X out the Farrenkelly road (well at least some of them). Starting from Blacklion and out through Charlesland. I reckon it would cut more than 15 minutes off the journey keeping it to an hour, or under, from Greystones DART station to City centre.
    I know it would skip Windgates (2 people max) and the southern cross. However it would be much quicker and therefore more popular for most. But as I said not all the buses would need to take this route.

Later journeys down the Southern X do collects quite large numbers.
    Drafts will be produced on the northern Wicklow routes towards the end of the week and i will try and keep you updated when its decided.

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard back from DB on this?

All I got was a standard response earlier in the week.

I did contact the councillors in Greystones TC and got responses from two who said they'd look into it. Of the two only one has followed up with any progress.

With the possible withdrawal of the Charlesland Shuttle, it's vital now that everyone does what they can to ensure that other services aren't hit. If DB get little resistance to curtailment of the 84X, what's to stop them doing the same to the 184?

The draft/daft proposal shown last thurs has 6 inward runs in the AM........:eek:

Pathetic and its going to a depot meeting on Monday.

You guys want to keep your service, we want to keep our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The draft/daft proposal shown last thurs has 6 inward runs in the AM........:eek:
    how many are there at the moment?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    how many are there at the moment?

Eight.

The 630 and 725 are not included in the new schedules being discussed today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Slightly off topic, but people might be more receptive to DB timetable changes if the buses were more reliable didn't break down so often. At least once a day every week for the past 4 weeks I have been on an 84x that has broken down. DB need to fix their buses rather than removing them from routes.
    [/offtopic]

I really can't believe that DB are even thinking about dropping buses from the 84x route. Surely it has to be one of their biggest money makers? Anytime I have been on it (which is daily), it's chocker block by the time it gets off the Southern Cross.

It's madness I tells ya!

Also, the timing will be convenient if the changes do come in. I imagine they will be introduced when the colleges finish up for the summer so the full extent of the withdrawal won't really be felt until September, by which time it'll be too late.

Expect it to happen within 14/21 days.
    Draft 2 expected Thur/fri for union discussion.

Back to junkers on the route breaking down ~ incompetant controllers sending out 2008 EV class machines on route 18/47. Which leaves 2000/01 stock for the 84x.

One would expect them, if they're cutting the service, to at least stick a couple of the larger busses on the route, but I guess that's down to the incompetant controllers too.

Really appreciate you keeping us in the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Expect it to happen within 14/21 days.
    Draft 2 expected Thur/fri for union discussion.

Back to junkers on the route breaking down ~ incompetant controllers sending out 2008 EV class machines on route 18/47. Which leaves 2000/01 stock for the 84x.

On a positive note presumably this will also resolve the 145 running time issues given that the 84x and 145 are interlinked driverwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Hello,

I just popped into this thread as I am thinking of moving to Greystones and was wondering what commuting would be like. I work at St. Stephen's Green so the 84X seems perfect...any ideas how long it takes on average to get to town if I left Greystones at 7:30 am? Is it packed every day during rush hour? Is the DART a better option....considering it's a 10 minute walk from my office to Pearse.

Thanks!

Hello,

I just popped into this thread as I am thinking of moving to Greystones and was wondering what commuting would be like. I work at St. Stephen's Green so the 84X seems perfect...any ideas how long it takes on average to get to town if I left Greystones at 7:30 am? Is it packed every day during rush hour? Is the DART a better option....considering it's a 10 minute walk from my office to Pearse.

Thanks!
    Roughly an hour

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Roughly an hour
    Traffic dependent. It can take up to 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cranipea

Hi, I get the 84X every day from Charlesland & get the 7.20, 7.30 or 7.40. I get off at Leeson St & it takes roughly 50 - 60 minutes. Rarely would it take more than an hour to get in. The earlier one gets into town in about 50 mins.

Oh and there is always seats on it at greystones. Might not be seats after blacklion but unlikely you would have to stand the whole way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

I hope to update you folk by mid next week on the changes.

My main fear expressed is that local N11 users will fill the evening outbound seats leaving you guys behind.

I'd say your right about N11 users taking the seats. I waited for an hour & 10 mins for the 84X on tuesday evening between 5.30 & 6.40. One 84X passed in this time & didnt stop as it was full :( Not looking forward to a reducded service!

For some reason the 5:45 departure from Eden Quay seems to be a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it comes, sometimes it doesn't. I've given up on that bus and if it's a thing that I think won't make the 5:30 bus, I'll hang on in work and then get the 6:30 instead.

The only way to prevent N11 users hopping on is to cut out the stops between UCD and Loughlinstown hospital, but then you'd annoy the people who look to get on at those stops.

The regular drivers will be returning to the 5.45 soon.

Bus Eireann runs a pick up only service on a lot of it's buses. Eg One Dublin to Waterford bus runs through Bray, will pick people up, but won't let people off. I know there is no way of enforcing this fully. How can you stop people from getting off when the bus is stopped to let people on.

All you could really do is tell people they don't stop and then they run the risk of not being able to get off if there is no one at the stop to pick up.

What really gets me though, is the people who get on in the CC and get off at UCD! I mean, how many other buses are there that they could get. I've been on the bus that has filled at my stop (Lower Leeson Street) and stopped people getting on, only to have 2 - 3 people get off at UCD. It's ridiculous.
    I guess they just don't think of it like that. It's just whichever bus comes first. Annoying none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

d31b0y wrote: »
    Bus Eireann runs a pick up only service on a lot of it's buses. Eg One Dublin to Waterford bus runs through Bray, will pick people up, but won't let people off. I know there is no way of enforcing this fully. How can you stop people from getting off when the bus is stopped to let people on.

All you could really do is tell people they don't stop and then they run the risk of not being able to get off if there is no one at the stop to pick up.

What really gets me though, is the people who get on in the CC and get off at UCD! I mean, how many other buses are there that they could get. I've been on the bus that has filled at my stop (Lower Leeson Street) and stopped people getting on, only to have 2 - 3 people get off at UCD. It's ridiculous.
    I guess they just don't think of it like that. It's just whichever bus comes first. Annoying none the less.
    Off-topic but similar on the DART. People diving past others for seats at rush hour when getting on in the city centre, to get off in Sandymount or Sydney Parade.

The regular drivers were handed rosters todays, with a start date of Sun April 3rd.

84X AM... 640NC, 700K, 710K, 715NC, 730K, 740K and 750K.
    84X PM... 1650K,1710NC,1730K,1750K and1830K

Thanks, The_Wrecker.
    Not leaving much time to inform us eh? Just threw together a quick table to show journey times based on the new timetable.

Newcastle 06:40 07:15
    Kilcoole 06:50 07:00 07:10 07:25 07:30 07:40 07:50
    Charlesland 07:00 07:10 07:20 07:35 07:40 07:50 08:00
    Greystones 07:05 07:15 07:25 07:40 07:45 07:55 08:05
    Southern Cross 07:10 07:20 07:30 07:45 07:50 08:00 08:10
    Loughlinstown Hospital 07:30 07:40 07:50 08:05 08:10 08:20 08:30
    Eden Quay 08:10 08:20 08:30 08:45 08:50 09:00 09:10

Times are a changing.

I see the timetable changes above - what about the other proposed changes you mentioned?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I see the timetable changes above - what about the other proposed changes you mentioned?

Nothing said.
    The main network di-wrecked man has taken a back seat, allowing the depot to have some say. So you've only lost the 630, the 725 is now slotted into a 750 departure. I believe there was some pressure from local TDs in your area too...........:cool:

Advertisement