Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muntons Mexican Cervesca

Options
  • 11-02-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Today I just brewed my first homebrew, Muntons Mexican Cervesca, even though it went off no bother and I don't think I'll have any problems with bacteria or temperature, I'm still not expecting great results, has anyone brewed this kit before and is it any use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

The only extract kits I've used are the coopers ones so i don't know bout the muntons. Only thing I'd say is leave it long enough to mature properly after bottling, flavour will improve dramatically over time. I know it's not easy tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Yeh that seems the best thing to do, I'll be putting it in a king keg, so I can have a sneaky pint after the two weeks, I'm interested in seeing the difference extra time will make.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I used that kit once before a few years ago.

This was what I did with it.

And this is how it turned out.

Just remember though, my results will be different to yours as I did what is called a Kit Hack. I altered how the beer was supposed to be if just following the normal instructions. Using Dried malt extract is a much better option than adding in sugar. I also used a pack of specialty grains for extra flavour.

Yeh of course, I'm kegging it tomorrow evening and leaving it 2-3 weeks to mature, fingers crossed it'll turn out ok

I kegged this beer today, and had a couple of hiccups (all starting with the syphon, I'm definatly investing in an auto syphon before I have to do that again.)
    After syphoning it cametime to add the priming sugar, 85gs as instructed, I added 4 tea spoons and gave it a quick stir and got a thick foam rise up and spill out of the top of the barrel, I let it settle and added the rest of the sugar stirring gently.
    Is it normal/ok to get that kind of reaction when adding the the priming sugar?
    Also, I have this barrel
    http://www.homebrew.ie/5-gallon-white-barrel-with-basic-pressure-vent-cap.html
    and got the CO2 gas cap seperate, I put the basic cap that comes with it on (cause thats the one that I had sanitised and vaselined), which I think should be ok?
    Sorry if thats another stupid beginners question!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

I made this kit last year. Used high grade spray malt. Came out an absolute treat. When bottling/ kegging I always use a two stage process. Dissolve your primer in sterilsed water and add the beer to that using auto siphon. I dont stir, the adding of the beer is enough. Then when the barrell is full i transfer into keg/bottles with bottling wand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrtickel

I think before you keg the beer you should add the water to a saucepan and add your priming sugar and boil till sugar is all disolved and then let i cool to room temp. or near enough and then add contents from saucepan to the keg then syphon beer on top of priming sugar the swirling of the beer going into the keg is enough to mix it together so you dont need to stir it and then leave to carbonate.
    Hope this helps

mrtickel wrote: »
    I think before you keg the beer you should add the water to a saucepan and add your priming sugar and boil till sugar is all disolved and then let i cool to room temp. or near enough and then add contents from saucepan to the keg then syphon beer on top of priming sugar the swirling of the beer going into the keg is enough to mix it together so you dont need to stir it and then leave to carbonate.
    Hope this helps

Yeh thats definatly what Ill do in future, the batch is just about matured now, so Ill be seeing how I did very soon, Fingers crossed

For anyone whos interested, heres a photo of the end product.
    Slight off flavours, I'm putting down to fermenting a little too hot.
    But all in all I wasn't unhappy with it, 2 mates helped me drink nearly all of it already, got my stout bubbling away now, and it should be much better as I used LME and safale-04 yeast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrtickel

Thats not a bad lookin beer you seem to have good head retention the coopers mexician creaves is a little lighter in color but probably taste the same.

• Advertisement

Yeh, it looks better then it tastes, but its still not that bad, beginners mistakes and I've learned from it.
    I kegged it in a pressure barrel and after the 3 weeks maturing it really did taste bad, it was under carbonated, the barrel had little to no pressure, then, just to test it before I chucked the brew, I deicided to test out one of the little CO2 cans, the flavour of the beer completely changed and it poured with a good lasting head, I was over the moon then and now its nearly all gone!

Advertisement