Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangest places you've seen political posters

• 11-02-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Is anyone really surprised? :p

davcul.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Oh that's funny, and the chainlink was put up to keep something in...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

But its a fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well that's a metal bar at the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

*yawn*

Lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Free the South Kilkenny One! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

From Facebook:

18225116878446895721641.jpg

One of these spends time with a load of clowns, in the country's biggest Circus. The other.... is a camel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

And I saw someone post this picture on boards a few days ago and the likeness is uncanny!

168999_10150177649912564_668247563_8730530_614715_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

^ Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

hahaha like the cullinane pic!

we wont discuss his actual criminal record on boards.ie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Gardner wrote: »
    hahaha like the cullinane pic!

we wont discuss his actual criminal record on boards.ie :)

If he had a criminal record it would be public information. So how about either saying what it is or stop libelling someone in the run up to an election.

By the way AdMMM, its a pole and fence, not bars.

(I'm not particularly a SF supporter, but it think everyone deserves to be treated fairly in this election and on the basis of their actual record, not stuff people insinuate on boards.ie)

• Advertisement

I know that the election is serious business and that there's a lot of vested interest on here but I wasn't seriously suggesting that David cullinane had a criminal record. I just found it to be very bizarre placement on behalf of SF. Similarly, FF posted pictures of their new leader outside the graveyard on the Cork Rd which is a big no no in my books.

Analysing the marketing message of all politcal parties in Waterford this election forms the basis of my college project and from the subliminal advertising of the workers party to the shocking pictures chosen by SF, it makes me wonder if the people making these decisions have any clue whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

dayshah wrote: »
    If he had a criminal record it would be public information. So how about either saying what it is or stop libelling someone in the run up to an election.

By the way AdMMM, its a pole and fence, not bars.

(I'm not particularly a SF supporter, but it think everyone deserves to be treated fairly in this election and on the basis of their actual record, not stuff people insinuate on boards.ie)

sorry dayshah personal joke there. sorry if it offended you or your sf buds

actually is there a way we can see all our politican records?

id say it would be very interesting especially the sinn fein lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

AdMMM wrote: »
    Similarly, FF posted pictures of their new leader outside the graveyard on the Cork Rd which is a big no no in my books.

I know that FF need the "grey vote" but thats going a bit too far! :D

Gardner wrote: »
    sorry dayshah personal joke there. sorry if it offended you or your sf buds

actually is there a way we can see all our politican records?

id say it would be very interesting especially the sinn fein lads

If anyone has a criminal record its public information. I never heard of David Cullinane being convicted of anything. Other Sinn Féin people like Martin Ferris were convicted of things. Sinn Féin never denied these things.

I think it would be interesting if a basic file on all candidates was presented. It could have things like if they live in the constituency, criminal records, any special financial interest (eg if they own loads of AIB shares, not that its a crime), voting record on city council, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

I know Dav, afaik he does not have any kind of a record, he is actually a nice lad. You are probably assuming he has because of the party he is representing.

Not as if he ever went on bombing runs or taxiing cop killers out of jail like Ferris was

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Not as if he ever went on bombing runs or taxiing cop killers out of jail like Ferris was

Huh you mean he didn't do anything for the "cause" feck that I'm not voting for him :mad:

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Is anyone really surprised? :p

davcul.jpg
    thought came to mind...
    every man will stand, behind the man, behind the wire,

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

goat2 wrote: »
    thought came to mind...
    every man will stand, behind the man, behind the wire,

Excellent!!

I know that the election is serious business and that there's a lot of vested interest on here but I wasn't seriously suggesting that David cullinane had a criminal record. I just found it to be very bizarre placement on behalf of SF. Similarly, FF posted pictures of their new leader outside the graveyard on the Cork Rd which is a big no no in my books.

Analysing the marketing message of all politcal parties in Waterford this election forms the basis of my college project and from the subliminal advertising of the workers party to the shocking pictures chosen by SF, it makes me wonder if the people making these decisions have any clue whatsoever!

Firstly - your thread title could have thrown people off who were casually browsing boards. And then when you make an immature comment like "Is anyone really surprised?" in response to David behind bars - you show your true character.

David is spot on, and works hard on behalf of his constituents. He has never been a trouble-maker, and has worked hard to end anti-social problems in Waterford, including the long-standing traveller conflict.

You should apologise for your comments and original thread title. If we made similar comments to any Fine Gael politician, the thread would be frozen, and the poster banned - without hesitation. I'd like to see a little bit of consistency on here.

Tired of this bollocks.

I hate to be pedantic, but I chose to insert ":p" to imply that it was a joke! Maybe you're visiting using a browser like Mosaic and couldn't see the emoticon, or maybe you've disabled images to speed up scouring the internet looking for anything that could be remotely contrived of being negative towards SF. In any case, for some bizarre reason, I feel the need to elaborate. It was a sarcastic reference to the history of the party, with the keyword being "history". Bear in mind that I was only making a sarcastic reference to the past as someone who quite frankly doesn't care about their history.

• Advertisement

I understand it may have been in jest - But David deserves the same respect as any other candidate, and doesn't deserve to have his persona tarnished online. Regardless of the history of the party - no member of Sinn Féin deserves to be pre-judged. I am a long-time supporter of Sinn Féin - and I am tired of preconceived notions towards me, or anyone else belonging to SF for that matter. If you have a gripe with a single member for their past, that is fine and you're entitled to it - But don't make jokes like that, especially with the elections around the corner. It is uncalled for.

You could make jokes about his uncanny resemblence of Harry Potter (And we do too!) - But don't make jokes about criminality. It's not on, and I'd expect more from you.

I agree with what you're saying and apologise if it did come across as misleading but I would have hoped it would have been understood to be a joke when they saw a picture.

Grand, no worries. I just want to make sure that David has a fair and honest chance in this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

like the little targets they put in the urinals...then we could all have a go whizzing on them like they all do to us every day the greedy bstrds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Brushing aside everything else, I find this interesting. Subliminal advertising from the Workers' Party? What's that about?

And by shocking pictures, do you mean the ones of David that they picked or something else?

Workers Party are recycling the posters they used in the campaign to Save Sean Garland, so whenever it's raining, the poster of Joe Tobin becomes see through and we can see the text "SAVE SEAN GARLAND" :) .

As for Sinn Féin, the photo they chose of David is very bad and looks like it was taken just as someone told a bad joke. The fact that they are also recycling posters from as far back as 2002 also does nothing for David because the 9 years have not been very kind to him in any way, shape or form. Had the colour scheme remained the same throughout, then it wouldn't be so bad but the layout, design and colours varies from poster to poster (some junctions even have posters from different periods!) which means the message being delivered is inconsistent. Finally, the last thing I picked up on from the SF posters is the colour scheme. He's wearing a black suit top and the background is orange/amber i.e. the Kilkenny colours. Knowing the issue that was made of this in the local elections, he should have exercised a bit more caution by either wearing a different coloured suit (the easy option) or asking to deviate from the standardised SF design theme, as several candidates up here in Dublin have (the hard way).

dlofnep talked of wanting a fair and honest chance for David when contesting this election but the best chance of this happening is to get the fundamentals right internally. The apparent failure in this regard (honestly, it looks as if some of the decisions for election literature and posters were made when looking at the bottom of a 12th pint of Guinness) will be what deprives David of a fair chance to be elected and at the end of the day, should he not be elected, he should look inwards for reasons of failure rather than blaming any external factors which shouldn't be a factor if the internal fundamentals were sound.

I agree that the decision to use older posters is a strange one. Don't think the picture for the current one if the worst to be honest but the head and shoulders shot on the roundabout at the start of the Outer Ring Road is bad: he looks oddly proportioned or something.
    I haven't had his literature in the door yet so can't comment on that.

But I wonder would you echo the sentiments you expressed about David's campaign in relation to John's. The posters look very poor IMO. There's some weird shading effect around the photo and he just doesn't look professional in the photo. And as for campaign literature, I have his in front of me. There's not one word about policy or the platform he's standing on. There are also many errors in punctuation and sentence construction, which give it a very unprofessional feel. I'm sure he's not alone in that regard but his is the only literature I have here so can't comment on the others.

On the overall subject of posters this time around I think Joe Tobin's ones are by far the poorest. Next in line are Jody Power's with that awful choice of background colour. I'd go Halligan next, then Cullinane, followed by the FG ones with Labour looking the best in my opinion. I can't comment on the others as I haven't seen any. What does everyone else think?

I actually think the Fianna Fail posters are among the best.

Up in Dublin for the night so don't want to spend the whole time typing out my thoughts on the campaign, but will get back to it tomorrow :)

Finally, the last thing I picked up on from the SF posters is the colour scheme. He's wearing a black suit top and the background is orange/amber i.e. the Kilkenny colours.

I think for Waterford they should use a blue background (maybe make use of the Starry Plough?) and he should have worn a white linen suit and panama hat like the man from Del Monte.

He could have a positive campaign with 'David says YES to bondholder burning' and he could carry a pineapple around with him.

Its subliminal, who can say no to the man from Del Monte?

• Advertisement

I actually think the Fianna Fail posters are among the best.

Up in Dublin for the night so don't want to spend the whole time typing out my thoughts on the campaign, but will get back to it tomorrow :)

No bother lad.
    dayshah wrote: »
    I think for Waterford they should use a blue background (maybe make use of the Starry Plough?) and he should have worn a white linen suit and panama hat like the man from Del Monte.

He could have a positive campaign with 'David says YES to bondholder burning' and he could carry a pineapple around with him.

Its subliminal, who can say no to the man from Del Monte?

Genius. No idea how you haven't been hired as a campaign manager dayshah!

Advertisement