Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangest places you've seen political posters

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I don't see a problem with the design of FGs, Labours, Greens or Halligans. Nice designs. SFs posters are fine apart from the point Adam makes. FFs a tad boring, very simple and not eye catching. Joes are tiny and I don't think they are making an impact because there awkward to see (A4) and its not a great design. The photo looks like he had a lot of weight on his shoulders.

Overall - most candidates have flooded the town with posters. In some areas you see with the same poster twice or three times beside each other. Then you come across a row of say 5 polls and its the same face on each and everyone. The worst is Fianna Fail out the Dunmore road. Halligan was fine but now has posters up in most places and duplicating.

I think FG are low key with posters for a main party. Hardly any Deasy, and not as many Coffee when compared to other main parties.

New guy Declan Waters is "Non Party" rather then being an "Independent". Barley any of his posters up. I counted one in Tramore and one in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    I think FG are low key with posters for a main party. Hardly any Deasy, and not as many Coffee when compared to other main parties.

I guess they figure they have the two seats sewn up so there's no need to spend loads of money on posters. THey just need enough so that people know there are two candidates and a bit of name recognition. It seems the only way FG won't get two seats in Waterford is due to something major and a few more posters wouldn't stop that effect were it to happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I guess they figure they have the two seats sewn up so there's no need to spend loads of money on posters. THey just need enough so that people know there are two candidates and a bit of name recognition. It seems the only way FG won't get two seats in Waterford is due to something major and a few more posters wouldn't stop that effect were it to happen.

Not taking it for granted though. Working every day, all day canvassing etc. so locally its not taken for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Say what you want about dodgy election posters. But a Fianna Gael valentines e-card? http://finegael2011.com/valentine.asp

Not sure what they're trying to achieve with it to be honest....:confused:

I must say their online material has been awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Not taking it for granted though. Working every day, all day canvassing etc. so locally its not taken for granted.

Ah yeah you still have to put in the work on the ground.

• Advertisement

Say what you want about dodgy election posters. But a Fianna Gael valentines e-card? http://finegael2011.com/valentine.asp

Not sure what they're trying to achieve with it to be honest....:confused:

I must say their online material has been awful.

I don't think the Valentines Day thing was to be taken serious... Its just a bit of a joke. Nobody is going to consider voting FG because of a valentines card! Its incredibly cheesy and stupid that I have to laugh.

I found their online campaign very good tbh. Cant really complain much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I found this on Twitter a while back and just had to share. It's not necessarily a Waterford location and it was probably planted there by whoever took the photo, but still...:)

181063_498530829670_773099670_6121023_3075973_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I was driving back into town yesterday on the Dublin road. Every single lamp-post on the road through sally Park to the bridge had a Micheál Martin on it.

Freaked me out, it was like driving through a tunnel of Micheáls.

I started hearing this music in my head:

Same in Tramore, went up late enough. Were doing it in the rain. Every post along main stretch. Stupid really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

AdMMM wrote: »
    I agree with what you're saying and apologise if it did come across as misleading but I would have hoped it would have been understood to be a joke when they saw a picture.

You shouldn't feel the need to apologise, its just a typical republican sense of humour failure and outrage for outrages sake.

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    I actually think the Fianna Fail posters are among the best.

Except for they have kenneallys fat head on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I was driving back into town yesterday on the Dublin road. Every single lamp-post on the road through sally Park to the bridge had a Micheál Martin on it.

Freaked me out, it was like driving through a tunnel of Micheáls.

I started hearing this music in my head:

Tom Baker for Taoiseach, now theres a vote getter :)

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

I don't see a problem with the design of FGs, Labours, Greens or Halligans. Nice designs. SFs posters are fine apart from the point Adam makes. FFs a tad boring, very simple and not eye catching. Joes are tiny and I don't think they are making an impact because there awkward to see (A4) and its not a great design. The photo looks like he had a lot of weight on his shoulders.
    QUOTE]
    Joe tobins posters are terrible.He has a good few up but i think he would of been better off putting up less poster of better quality.He looks a bit like Lillian on shameless just without the glasses.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not every party has the funds of the larger parties to spend on posters. I think it's important to keep that in mind.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Not every party has the funds of the larger parties to spend on posters. I think it's important to keep that in mind.

Indeed but I don't think they are a crucial part of the campaign. If you are going to waste money on posters that are terrible, your better spending the money elsewhere on the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

i understand that that you have to work within your budget.
    Would 50 quality posters around the city be better then 300 terrible posters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Can anyone explain why Brendan Kennelly appears to have a nipple sticking out of the side of his head in his poster instead of an ear - its really weird - I cant beleive the used this picture - I nearly crashed the car with the laughing when I saw it.

No wonder its mostly Micheal Martin posters !

Saw a few of his poster's outside the college were vandalised today. Something along the lines of "Damage done, more to do.."

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I think he should of went with:

'Vote Finna Fail'
    'We all make mistakes'

or maybe

'Vote Finna Fail'
    'We'll do better this time we promise'

Which party has 300 posters up? Alot of posters are re-used from the last election campaign. The funds simply aren't there. It's clear that Fine Gael and Labour are rolling in the money for this current campaign. Fine Gael moreso, evident by their Google Ads campaign, along with their posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭looksee

http://election.fiannafail.ie/candidates/details/brendan-kenneally/

It does look strange - you would think someone would have noticed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There were never re-used when I was in collage, we used to remove them from the poles and mount mood boards on them. Saved me a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I saw one of his posters i think near the Waterford Crystal Leisure centre was vandelised too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Haha nipple cheek .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Looks like a bit of a "TIT" alright!

Which party has 300 posters up? Alot of posters are re-used from the last election campaign. The funds simply aren't there.

The Northern Bank money run out?*

*(Note that this is a joke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

breast of luck to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He's a decent man and a decent politician. Unfortunately that's akin to a talented waiter on the titanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

He's a decent man and a decent politician. Unfortunately that's akin to a talented waiter on the titanic.

I would strongly disagree with calling him decent, far from it, he was not a decent neighbour and after what my family and neighbours endured because of him last year I can assure he's hated round here.

• Advertisement

Oh right, he's so "decent" that he's always at or near the top of the expenses tables yet hardly ever speaks in the dail.

Advertisement