Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosscahill speed camera

Options
  • 11-02-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Done for 35km/h in rosscahill...Is the camera there all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

oh crap i never seen it! no i don't think its there all the time, i've only seen it once in the last six weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

What speed camera - haven't seen it yet. Where is it normally parked? Would assume it's either by the pub or the school.

Curious Ultan, why would you be done for doing 35km/h in that area - is it not a 50 km/h zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Caribs wrote: »
    What speed camera - haven't seen it yet. Where is it normally parked? Would assume it's either by the pub or the school.

Curious Ultan, why would you be done for doing 35km/h in that area - is it not a 50 km/h zone?

Just before the pub as your coming into rosscahill...sorry 53km:o had the car dial in my head, on the notice i got it said "special" speed limit, make more money limit more like:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is marked on the map , this can change so check your normal routes.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is marked on the map , this can change so check your normal routes.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

It can change? Like frequently??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

The 50km/h speed limit has been there for a good while now - no doubt because there is a school right on the main road. There has also been work to build pavements along part of that stretch of road. Both good developments for local pedestrian safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

padraig71 wrote: »
    The 50km/h speed limit has been there for a good while now - no doubt because there is a school right on the main road. There has also been work to build pavements along part of that stretch of road. Both good developments for local pedestrian safety.
    Pavements would be excellent. I've been renting just outside (~1.4 miles) of Moycullen (on the Rosscahill side) and it's shocking that pedestrians aren't catered for in any way. The distance to the village is ideal for a walk yet there are no pavements. Hard shoulder is on and off and is in an awful state anyway.

I commute by bicycle along that road (Moycullen <-> Dangan), people generally ignore any of the temporary/special speed limits and a number even ignore the 50km/h through the village, so I'd like to see more cameras enforcing the speed limits in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

With the pace of the current pavement works and wall that is being built in Roscahill it might be completed by 2020. At risk of being accused of public sector bashing I would suspect the work isn't being done by a private firm..!!

Will watch out for that camera - being caught for 53km/h in a 50 km/h zone is a bit harsh, so much for the myth of staying within 10% and being okay.

I did hear that you can challenge being such a small amount over the limit based on the accuracy of a cars speedometer or something along those lines but it may be an urban myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

padraig71 wrote: »
    There has also been work to build pavements along part of that stretch of road.

I pass that way once or twice a week, and I wouldn't agree with the term "work" being used to represent that situation :pac: The Pyramids were built faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

The Gatso van was parked outside the national school in Roscahill last night a 50kph zone.

Defo revenue generating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

53 in a 50 zone?
    That's harsh, always thought it had to be 10% over

• Registered Users Posts: 1 helenveronica

Heard tons of Ougherard people got caught because the camera wasn't there at all for the first few months and people let their guard down. Don't have a problem with it in principle, but if travelling from the Galway side, it is ridiculous that you have a straight road set at 100km (AND it's where you have a chance to overtake the slow pokes on the road) and then SUDDENLY you are in a 50km zone from one second to the next. No warning and could cause a serious accident if you brake suddenly, which you have to do because the camera is usually at the school and you can't see it from that point. At least from the Oughterard side you have a chance to ease into it and can see that there's a school ahead.

I think a sniper took it out last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I got a ticket for 80kph there.

One hundred and fifty euros...

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 galwayboss

why can't they have split speed limits like between 8am and 4pm 50kph during the school year and leave it at 100kph at all other times 50kph at 10pm there is stupid and i hear now to that they are thinking of putting a speed van at Newtown school as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BlueFriday

Got done there myself 59km/h. Sunday 27/3. Some guy actually flashed his lights at me but I didn't slow down enough. 50km/h feels ridiculously slow on that road. It's not like Roscahill is a village or anything.

If it was safety why wouldnt they plaster signs all over the place warning you to slow down because of cameras (and school!)?

The idea is to get cars to slow down after all.

If they're just trying to make some money then keep it as an ambush. Like it is. A trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

BlueFriday wrote: »
    Got done there myself 59km/h. Sunday 27/3. Some guy actually flashed his lights at me but I didn't slow down enough. 50km/h feels ridiculously slow on that road. It's not like Roscahill is a village or anything.

ah .... DOH - it IS desiginated as a village

fairly sh1t village without even a shop

galwayboss wrote: »

Well i'm sure the inhabitants like it...

But really what other "village" has slow wiggly narrow roads leading to it from each direction, But in the village the road turns into a wide smooth speedway that would put le mans to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

I drove through Roscahill twice on Sunday March 27. I was recorded at 63 and 68 kms. However I was not there at the times recorded on the summons - 22.38 and 23.38. I did happen to pass there two hours earlier in both cases. That was the Sunday the clock went forward one hour - except in this case the camera got over enthusiastic and leapt forward an extra two hours. However I can't prove I wasn't there at those times. I live alone. Anybody else experience this?

Saw it been set up this evening..around 6.30

conaire1 wrote: »
    I drove through Roscahill twice on Sunday March 27. I was recorded at 63 and 68 kms. However I was not there at the times recorded on the summons - 22.38 and 23.38. I did happen to pass there two hours earlier in both cases. That was the Sunday the clock went forward one hour - except in this case the camera got over enthusiastic and leapt forward an extra two hours. However I can't prove I wasn't there at those times. I live alone. Anybody else experience this?

If you challenge it then they have to produce the picture? Is that how it works?

Although it wouldnt help much if its just the time thats screwed up but you have to wonder.

If it was a cop writing a ticket and he got the time so wrong you could probably get out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

galwayboss wrote: »

Ummm there actually is a shop... Across from the school-ish

fend wrote: »
    Ummm there actually is a shop... Across from the school-ish

well unless it opened since 6pm this evening there is no shop in Rosscahill for 3 or 4 years. there was a place for servicing lawnmowers for a while there but they moved out a year ago

Advertisement