Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pitch flooring/levling compound

• 11-02-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

ive just ripped up the tiles and the subfloor in the bathroom(downstairs).
    like most of the houses around here they originally had pitch pine flooring and now that ive removed all the rotten timber im left with bitumen on top of concrete. i need to bring the level of the floor up and i had planned to use consecutive layers of compound, but is it ok to pour this onto the bitumen. i had originally laid a subfloor of ply then tiled onto it, but a leaking rad and shower door has destroyed the ply and i dont want to go down that road again. i plan to tile directly on top of the leveling compound. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

How much height do you need to raise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

How much height do you need to raise?

between 10-12 mm. there is no way im scraping away the bitumen and ive not enough depth to concrete it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think you'll need to use a primer over the bitumen. From what I can find on the internet, Ardex may have what you need and will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You may need to take the bitumen up depending on its hardness. 10-12mm is a lot. You may need to add sand to leveling compound or get one with it added. It should say it on the side of the bag(thats not a smart answer) but if it does not ring the products techanical advice.Dont trust the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

You may need to take the bitumen up depending on its hardness. 10-12mm is a lot. You may need to add sand to leveling compound or get one with it added. It should say it on the side of the bag(thats not a smart answer) but if it does not ring the products techanical advice.Dont trust the shop.

over the weekend i did two pourings, with extra sand added. pleased with the result so far. its not the first time ive used it, just never put it down on bitumen before. ive to do one more level then ill be where i need to be.
    thanks for the replys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement