Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pro-marijuana candidates in Galway

Options
  • 11-02-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi, I'm just wondering if any of the candidates support decriminalisation as the situation is Galway is really bad at the mo.

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good question, I don't know.
    Ming in Roscommon is the only candidate I know that wants to decriminalise it afaik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_political_parties#Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Do you really think these politicians have ever thought about marijuana not mind legalizing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

Funnily enough, Howard Marks, the one time largest dope smuggler in the world is giving a talk in the Roisin this Sunday night. Got my ticket for it. He ran for election one time in the UK on the sole manifesto of making dope smoking legal...U could go to the show and ask him what he thinks of it. Although its not hard to guess. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Da_Viper wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering if any of the candidates support decriminalisation as the situation is Galway is really bad at the mo.

Tnx

I think the economy is the word of the day, my friend.

Hard luck ;)

Can you imagine how much money the country would make if they legalized marijuana and taxed it? We'd be out of recession in a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Making money is a terrible reason to make a sociopolitical decision like this.
    If there is going to be any progression in the state of drug laws it has to be from scientific, reviewable research and focused on harm reduction.

If a candidate says he wants to legalise just to get us out of recession I will tell him to fuck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

There is not a politician stupid enough to wade through the political muddy waters that are the decriminilisation of certan drugs. There is just too much of a stigma attached and these people at this time only want god publicity and not to ruffle a few feathers on the road to being elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I am a staunch supporter of decriminalisation of marijuanna, along with other drugs. However the trouble with a lot of pro-legalisation candidates is that they make that their sole purpose. And even when people like Luke Flanagan with very solid wide ranging policies come up, the media choose to focus on that one sensational point.

This country is far too backwards to ever entertain such a notion. I guarantee you that it will be one of the last countries in the developed world to go that way. We had a great chance with the headshops and thanks to the media and millions of ignorant prats (and I'm not on about the customers), we f***ed that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I am a staunch supporter of decriminalisation of marijuanna, along with other drugs. However the trouble with a lot of pro-legalisation candidates is that they make that their sole purpose. And even when people like Luke Flanagan with very solid wide ranging policies come up, the media choose to focus on that one sensational point.

This country is far too backwards to ever entertain such a notion. I guarantee you that it will be one of the last countries in the developed world to go that way. We had a great chance with the headshops and thanks to the media and millions of ignorant prats (and I'm not on about the customers), we f***ed that up.

While I certainly don't disagree with you, I think part of the problem with Luke Flanagan and the media are that he can be self-defeating at times. E.g. embracing the whole "Ming" thing and the appearance to go with. Also his general
    approach to discussions at times is quite abrasive.

KylieWyley wrote: »
    While I certainly don't disagree with you, I think part of the problem with Luke Flanagan and the media are that he can be self-defeating at times. E.g. embracing the whole "Ming" thing and the appearance to go with. Also his general
    approach to discussions at times is quite abrasive.

You're right, it doesn't do him any favours because the media can just paint him as this wacko pot head.

It won't be taken seriously until we have a 'normal' candidate with a pragmatic approach to drugs, who's main agenda is an economic, social and political one but also recognises the number benefits of legalising drugs. One thing that annoys me about the legalisation brigade is that it is always focussed on marijuana, ignoring all other drugs that cause no harm to anybody else (and relatively little to the user too). There'd be far less repercussions from legalising MDMA than marijuana.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

People who do drugs are degenerate.

Why would you want to validate degenerates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Isaac Abrams, artist LSD Tim Allen, actor, comedian "Home Improvement", "The Santa Clause" cocaine Richard Alpert (also known as Baba Ram Das), psychologist, author, guru LSD Lewis Daniel Armstrong, musician ("Satchmo") marijuana Allen Atwell, artist LSD Marcus Aurelius, philosopher, emperor of Rome opium Ginger Baker, musician amphetamines Tallulah Bankhead, actress cocaine Marion Barry, mayor of Washington, D.C. cocaine, alcohol Charles Baudelaire, poet absinthe The Beatles, musicians marijuana, LSD John Belushi, comedian, actor marijuana, heroin, cocaine Sarah Bernhardt, actress cocaine Elizabeth Barrett Browning, poet opium Lenny Bruce, comedian, free speech activist marijuana, heroin William S. Burroughs, historian, author: "Naked Lunch", "I, Claudius" cocaine, opium Lewis Carrol, mathematician, photographer, author: "Alice in Wonderland" mushrooms Winston Churchill, British prime minister alcohol Grover Cleveland, U.S. president cocaine William Clinton, U.S. president "Well, I did smoke pot, but I didn't inhale. And I was in England, so it really doesn't count. Plus, no-one saw me. So what's the big fuss? The half million people arrested for pot last year are just sore losers." (If you got locked up for a few decades, you would be too.) marijuana Jean Cocteau, playwrite: "Orpheus" opium Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet: "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" opium (laudanum) Wilkie Collins, author: "The Moonstone" opium David Crosby, Musician, founding member of "The Byrds" and "Crosby, Stills and Nash" marijuana, cocaine Aleister Crowley, magician, author: "Magick Without Tears", "Moonchild", "The Book of Thoth", "Diary of a Drug Fiend", "Theory of Magick" EVERYTHING Salivor Dali, painter "Everyone should eat hashish, but only once." hashish Thomas DeQuincy, author: "Confessions of an English Opium-Eater" opium (laudanum) Charles Dickens, author: "A Christmas Carol", "Oliver Twist" opium Arthur Conan Doyle, logican, author: "Sherlock Holmes" (a cocaine user) opium Isadora Duncan (revolutionized dance) cocaine Thomas Alva Edison, inventor, industrialist cocaine, alcohol Havelock Ellis, physician, author: "Psychology of Sex", essay: "Mezcal: A New Artificial Paradise" peyote Carrie Fisher, Actress, screenwriter prescription drugs Ben Franklin, inventor, publisher, scientist, American statesman opium, marijuana Peter Fonda, actor marijuana, LSD Sigmund Freud, physician, "Father of Psychoanalysis" cocaine Jerry Garcia, musician (with The Grateful Dead), philospher, spiritual consultant to Jefferson Airplane, religious leader LSD, marijuana, heroin Newt Ginrich, Speaker of the Senate "See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn't change, only the morality. That's why you get to go to jail and I don't. Any questions?" Yes, does he really believe himself? marijuana Al Gore, U.S. vice-president "My work on the environment is so important that I can't take the time off to go to jail for something so trivial as marijuana. But its okay with me if you go." (Insensitive snot) marijuana Ulysses S. Grant, U.S. president cocaine, alcohol Grateful Dead, musicians marijuana Jimi Hendrix, musician, singer, legendary guitar player LSD, heroin Albert Hoffman, chemist, discovered LSD and became a proponant LSD Billie Holliday, singer opium Dennis Hopper, actor marijuana Aldous Huxley, author: "Brave New World", "Island", "Doors of Perception" mescaline William James, physician, philosopher nitrous oxide, ether, peyote Jefferson Airplane/Starship, musicians maijuana Thomas Jefferson, U.S. president, inventor, architect, marijuana farmer marijuana Jesus the Nazerite, Carpenter, Rabbi, "Christ"
    * Amanita muscaria, also known as fly agaric. Evidence available from R. Gordon Wasson, ("Soma, The Divine Mushroom of Immortality") mushroom expert and executive to J.P. Morgan. Another case was made by John M. Allegro, noted Bible scholar and linguist, who presented evidence in "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross" that the story of Jesus was actually an allegory on the properties of the amanita. alcohol, mushrooms* Steve Jobs, co-creator of the Apple computer, the NeXt computer, and former head of Apple Computers, Inc. marijuana, LSD Janis Joplin, singer heroin, alcohol Stacy Keach, actor (Mike Hammer) cocaine John Keats, poet opium Ken Kesey, author: "One Flew Over the Coo-Coo's Nest", "Once a Great Notion"
    * Mr. Kesey's personal correction: I only had him down for LSD, to which he commented that someone not willing to try anything, is not a real truth-seeker, but only a dilatant. EVERYTHING*
    Archibald Leach (actor Cary Grant) LSD Timothy Leary, psychologist, Father of Transactional Analysis, software author: "Mindwheel". "Turn on, tune in, drop out." LSD, marijuana Donovan Leich, musician LSD, marijuana Pope Leo XIII cocaine John Cunningham Lilly, physician, scientist (electronics, dolphin communication, sensory deprivation), philosopher, author: "Mind of the Dolphin", "Center of the Cyclone" LSD, ketamine
    Bela Lugosi, actor opium, morphine Bob Marley, musician "The Father of Reggae Music" marijuana Judge Marquat, Arizona Supreme Court Justice, involved in Miranda ruling. marijuana Joseph McCarthy, U.S. Senator opium Joni Mitchell, Musician Marijuana Wier Mitchell, physician, author: "Injuries of the Nerves and their Consequences" peyote Mohammed, spiritual leader hashish Marcia Moore, Sheraton Hotel heiress, author: "Hypersentience", Journeys into the Bright World" LSD marijuana, ketamine Jim Morrison, lead singer for The Doors cocaine, alocohol, LSD, marijuana Mothers of Invention, musicians LSD, marijuana Willi Nelson, musician marijuana Jack Nicholson, actor marijuana, LSD Stevie Nicks, singer cocaine Philippus Aureolus Paracelsus, Father of Modern Medicine opium Pablo Picasso, painter, "The smell of opium is the least stupid smell in the world." opium Plotinus, Roman philosopher, 205-270 AD opium Edgar Allen Poe, poet, author: "The Raven", "The Fall of the House of Usher" opium Jackson Pollack, painter (His work sold for up to $8,000,000 a piece.) alcohol Cole Porter, composer cocaine Elvis Presley, singer, actor prescription drugs Richard Pryor, actor, comedian cocaine Cardinal Duc de Richelieu, leading minister to king Louis XIII opium Franklin Delano Roosevelt, U.S. president alcohol Sir Walter Scott, poet, author opium Shelly, poet opium Arlene Sklar-Weinstein, artist LSD Robert Louis Stevenson, author cocaine, morphine The Rolling Stones (reputed to be the greatest rock-and-roll band in the world) marijuana, LSD Desmond Taylor, film director cocaine Clarence Thomas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice "I was smart enough to use pot without getting caught, and now I'm on the Supreme Court. If you were stupid enough to get caught, that's your problem. Your appeal is denied. This 40 year sentence just might teach you a lesson." Clearly, a hateful man. marijuana Vincent Van Gogh, painter absinthe, camphor Jesse Ventura, wrestler, governor of Minnesota marijuana Jules Verne, author: "The Time Machine", "War of the Worlds", "2,000 Leagues Under the Sea" cocaine George Washington, U.S. president, marijuana farmer marijuana (sensimilla) Allen Watts, Zen philosopher, masters degree in religion, doctorate in divinity, author: "The Joyous Cosmology", "Zen Sticks, Zen Bones", "The Taboo against Knowing Who You Are", "The Wisdom of Insecurity". LSD, marijuana, mescaline, psilocybin, dimethyl-tryptamine (DMT), alcohol Andrew Wiel, physician, psychopharmicologist, anthropologist, fire-walker, alternative health expert, author: "The Natural Mind", "Spontaneous Healing", "8 Weeks to Optimum Health" marijuana, peyote, yage (S. American hallucinagin) William Wilberforce, almost singlehandedly got slavery abolished throughout the British Empire opium

mikom wrote: »
    Isaac Abrams, artist LSD Tim Allen, actor, comedian "Home Improvement", "The Santa Clause" cocaine Richard Alpert (also known as Baba Ram Das), psychologist, author, guru LSD Lewis Daniel Armstrong, musician ("Satchmo") marijuana Allen Atwell, artist LSD Marcus Aurelius, philosopher, emperor of Rome opium Ginger Baker, musician amphetamines Tallulah Bankhead, actress cocaine Marion Barry, mayor of Washington, D.C. cocaine, alcohol Charles Baudelaire, poet absinthe The Beatles, musicians marijuana, LSD John Belushi, comedian, actor marijuana, heroin, cocaine Sarah Bernhardt, actress cocaine Elizabeth Barrett Browning, poet opium Lenny Bruce, comedian, free speech activist marijuana, heroin William S. Burroughs, historian, author: "Naked Lunch", "I, Claudius" cocaine, opium Lewis Carrol, mathematician, photographer, author: "Alice in Wonderland" mushrooms Winston Churchill, British prime minister alcohol Grover Cleveland, U.S. president cocaine William Clinton, U.S. president "Well, I did smoke pot, but I didn't inhale. And I was in England, so it really doesn't count. Plus, no-one saw me. So what's the big fuss? The half million people arrested for pot last year are just sore losers." (If you got locked up for a few decades, you would be too.) marijuana Jean Cocteau, playwrite: "Orpheus" opium Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet: "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" opium (laudanum) Wilkie Collins, author: "The Moonstone" opium David Crosby, Musician, founding member of "The Byrds" and "Crosby, Stills and Nash" marijuana, cocaine Aleister Crowley, magician, author: "Magick Without Tears", "Moonchild", "The Book of Thoth", "Diary of a Drug Fiend", "Theory of Magick" EVERYTHING Salivor Dali, painter "Everyone should eat hashish, but only once." hashish Thomas DeQuincy, author: "Confessions of an English Opium-Eater" opium (laudanum) Charles Dickens, author: "A Christmas Carol", "Oliver Twist" opium Arthur Conan Doyle, logican, author: "Sherlock Holmes" (a cocaine user) opium Isadora Duncan (revolutionized dance) cocaine Thomas Alva Edison, inventor, industrialist cocaine, alcohol Havelock Ellis, physician, author: "Psychology of Sex", essay: "Mezcal: A New Artificial Paradise" peyote Carrie Fisher, Actress, screenwriter prescription drugs Ben Franklin, inventor, publisher, scientist, American statesman opium, marijuana Peter Fonda, actor marijuana, LSD Sigmund Freud, physician, "Father of Psychoanalysis" cocaine Jerry Garcia, musician (with The Grateful Dead), philospher, spiritual consultant to Jefferson Airplane, religious leader LSD, marijuana, heroin Newt Ginrich, Speaker of the Senate "See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn't change, only the morality. That's why you get to go to jail and I don't. Any questions?" Yes, does he really believe himself? marijuana Al Gore, U.S. vice-president "My work on the environment is so important that I can't take the time off to go to jail for something so trivial as marijuana. But its okay with me if you go." (Insensitive snot) marijuana Ulysses S. Grant, U.S. president cocaine, alcohol Grateful Dead, musicians marijuana Jimi Hendrix, musician, singer, legendary guitar player LSD, heroin Albert Hoffman, chemist, discovered LSD and became a proponant LSD Billie Holliday, singer opium Dennis Hopper, actor marijuana Aldous Huxley, author: "Brave New World", "Island", "Doors of Perception" mescaline William James, physician, philosopher nitrous oxide, ether, peyote Jefferson Airplane/Starship, musicians maijuana Thomas Jefferson, U.S. president, inventor, architect, marijuana farmer marijuana Jesus the Nazerite, Carpenter, Rabbi, "Christ"
    * Amanita muscaria, also known as fly agaric. Evidence available from R. Gordon Wasson, ("Soma, The Divine Mushroom of Immortality") mushroom expert and executive to J.P. Morgan. Another case was made by John M. Allegro, noted Bible scholar and linguist, who presented evidence in "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross" that the story of Jesus was actually an allegory on the properties of the amanita. alcohol, mushrooms* Steve Jobs, co-creator of the Apple computer, the NeXt computer, and former head of Apple Computers, Inc. marijuana, LSD Janis Joplin, singer heroin, alcohol Stacy Keach, actor (Mike Hammer) cocaine John Keats, poet opium Ken Kesey, author: "One Flew Over the Coo-Coo's Nest", "Once a Great Notion"
    * Mr. Kesey's personal correction: I only had him down for LSD, to which he commented that someone not willing to try anything, is not a real truth-seeker, but only a dilatant. EVERYTHING*
    Archibald Leach (actor Cary Grant) LSD Timothy Leary, psychologist, Father of Transactional Analysis, software author: "Mindwheel". "Turn on, tune in, drop out." LSD, marijuana Donovan Leich, musician LSD, marijuana Pope Leo XIII cocaine John Cunningham Lilly, physician, scientist (electronics, dolphin communication, sensory deprivation), philosopher, author: "Mind of the Dolphin", "Center of the Cyclone" LSD, ketamine
    Bela Lugosi, actor opium, morphine Bob Marley, musician "The Father of Reggae Music" marijuana Judge Marquat, Arizona Supreme Court Justice, involved in Miranda ruling. marijuana Joseph McCarthy, U.S. Senator opium Joni Mitchell, Musician Marijuana Wier Mitchell, physician, author: "Injuries of the Nerves and their Consequences" peyote Mohammed, spiritual leader hashish Marcia Moore, Sheraton Hotel heiress, author: "Hypersentience", Journeys into the Bright World" LSD marijuana, ketamine Jim Morrison, lead singer for The Doors cocaine, alocohol, LSD, marijuana Mothers of Invention, musicians LSD, marijuana Willi Nelson, musician marijuana Jack Nicholson, actor marijuana, LSD Stevie Nicks, singer cocaine Philippus Aureolus Paracelsus, Father of Modern Medicine opium Pablo Picasso, painter, "The smell of opium is the least stupid smell in the world." opium Plotinus, Roman philosopher, 205-270 AD opium Edgar Allen Poe, poet, author: "The Raven", "The Fall of the House of Usher" opium Jackson Pollack, painter (His work sold for up to $8,000,000 a piece.) alcohol Cole Porter, composer cocaine Elvis Presley, singer, actor prescription drugs Richard Pryor, actor, comedian cocaine Cardinal Duc de Richelieu, leading minister to king Louis XIII opium Franklin Delano Roosevelt, U.S. president alcohol Sir Walter Scott, poet, author opium Shelly, poet opium Arlene Sklar-Weinstein, artist LSD Robert Louis Stevenson, author cocaine, morphine The Rolling Stones (reputed to be the greatest rock-and-roll band in the world) marijuana, LSD Desmond Taylor, film director cocaine Clarence Thomas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice "I was smart enough to use pot without getting caught, and now I'm on the Supreme Court. If you were stupid enough to get caught, that's your problem. Your appeal is denied. This 40 year sentence just might teach you a lesson." Clearly, a hateful man. marijuana Vincent Van Gogh, painter absinthe, camphor Jesse Ventura, wrestler, governor of Minnesota marijuana Jules Verne, author: "The Time Machine", "War of the Worlds", "2,000 Leagues Under the Sea" cocaine George Washington, U.S. president, marijuana farmer marijuana (sensimilla) Allen Watts, Zen philosopher, masters degree in religion, doctorate in divinity, author: "The Joyous Cosmology", "Zen Sticks, Zen Bones", "The Taboo against Knowing Who You Are", "The Wisdom of Insecurity". LSD, marijuana, mescaline, psilocybin, dimethyl-tryptamine (DMT), alcohol Andrew Wiel, physician, psychopharmicologist, anthropologist, fire-walker, alternative health expert, author: "The Natural Mind", "Spontaneous Healing", "8 Weeks to Optimum Health" marijuana, peyote, yage (S. American hallucinagin) William Wilberforce, almost singlehandedly got slavery abolished throughout the British Empire opium
    Only someone coked off their head would type all that out in 6 minutes :P

I don't want to start the alcohol vs illegal drugs debate, but walk around any town on a Friday/Saturday night and tell me the amount of degenerates that are on illegal drugs vs the majority more degenerates after taking alcohol.

I don't want to start the alcohol vs illegal drugs debate, but walk around any town on a Friday/Saturday night and tell me the amount of degenerates that are on illegal drugs vs the majority more degenerates after taking alcohol.

This is why prohibition would be favourable.

Aye cause that worked didn't it?

Why is it the anti-drugs brigade tend to come across as far more brain-damaged than the users of the substances they claim causes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Troll.

:cool:

cokedog.jpg

Your dead right, you need to take it from a platform where it could be, to an extent, controlled and supervised. To a platform like illegal drugs where people could get alcohol from back alleys.

JustMary wrote: »
    Troll.

:cool:

People tend to label my posts as "trolling".

I don't understand why. I'm merely giving my opinion on a discussion board.

• Advertisement

You should possibly spend some time away from the internet, go spend time in the real world and even read a bit. Then come back on with whatever opinions you've formed then;)

You should possibly spend some time away from the internet, go spend time in the real world and even read a bit. Then come back on with whatever opinions you've formed then;)

So your opinions are largely plagiarised?

I'm not going to label you a troll as I am aware that idiots can also exist in an offline capacity.

I'm not going to label you a troll as I am aware that idiots can also exist in an offline capacity.

No need for the underhanded insults.

No need for the blatant idiocy ;)

I kid, I do appreciate a bit of trolling. As you were sir.

So your opinions are largely plagiarised?
    Absolutely not, to reach any educated conclusion surely you would agree you need to read both sides of the argument, on the legalisation of drugs for example, to help form your own thoughts and opinions. Not to simply take what you want from arguments and make and make some sort of cross breed opinion of your own but its common sense you look into things before forming your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Hi OP,

Irish Cannabis blog emailed current TDs and compiled a list of their stances on legalisation/decriminalisation/medical use. None in Galway, but responses are here: http://irishcannabis.blogspot.com/2011/01/general-elections.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If you're not trolling then I pity you and all around you.
    Why being gay is wrong...
    Man is designed to be attracted to a woman, and a woman is designed to be attracted to a man, for purposes of procreation.

Therefore for a man to be attracted to a man, the design is broken.

Thus, being gay is fundamentally incorrect and morally wrong.

I live in the country side and the vast majority of people I know wouldn't hunt / own a gun and I consider people who hunt somewhat lacking something mentally.

Advertisement