Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendations for dog bedding

• 11-02-2011 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi all,

I have a border collie who is outside for part of the day and he does have a kennel for shelter. He wont keep any blankets or cushions in his bed so recently I put in straw for him but he is scratching now so I have removed it and I am looking for any recommendations on what to use? I have heard shredded paper works well but apart from shredding used newspapers, is there any stockists in the Louth area that stocks bags ready to go?? Has anyone who has used it have any experiences they would like to pass on? Any other recommedations would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First off what type of straw did ya use?
    Barley straw is the one i use,no itching.

Got this advert of a greyhound classified site.stuff is supposed to be great.

WAX COATED SHREDDED PAPER
    Description WAX COATED SHREDDED PAPER BALES, COMPLETELY DUST FREE, EXCELLENT DOG BEDDING. TYPICAL BALES ARE 18 - 20kg(COSTS ONE EURO PER KILOGRAM ie 20kg BALE COSTS €20.
    THIS PAPER IS EXTREMELY CLEAN, COMFORTABLE AND ABSORBENT AND IS USED BY MANY SATISFIED GREYHOUND PEOPLE IN IRELAND.
    WE ARE THE MAIN SUPPLIERS OF THIS PAPER IN IRELAND AT THE MOST COMPETITIVE PRICES DIRECT TO YOU THE CUSTOMER ON A REGULAR WEEKLY BASIS.

****NOW STOCKING & SUPPLYING WIDER SHREDDED WAX PAPER BY CUSTOMER DEMAND****

NATIONWIDE DELIVERY SERVICE AVAILABLE. NO ORDER TOO SMALL OR LARGE, FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR ORDERS DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME ON : 087 9029209

Contact Name DAVE
    Contact Address
    Ireland
    Phone 087 9029209
    email contact now!
    (ad posted on 19-Jan-11)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

You can check out equestrian store's for shredded paper in bales. I dont know what it's like for dogs but i know when we tried it with the horses it was not great. Very heavy when wet, stuck to the floor and if the paper was printed on the ink can transfer onto the coat (grey horses) and it blew around the yard, looked like a bin exploded:/
    But I duno could be good for dogs.
    With straw the urine is drained away from the top, it is warm and comfy but can be messy if the wind catches it and blows it about your garden!
    I would go to your local farm shop/horse shop and ask which one's to try:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Waterproof orthapaedic dog bed or hay in a sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

If you go to any local business office they pay to have their shredded paper taken from them daily (if they are busy). One that I worked in had at least one sack going out every day.
    If he started turfing it out of the kennel too it is hard to pick up when wet.

waterproof beds are good if he does not eat them, not sure how suitable to be left in a kennel.

I used straw with all of our dogs when they were out and no itching so like Dahat says maybe it is the type you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hay would be softer than straw but maybe try vet bed, our border collie wouldn't dream of ripping it up because it's so comfy.
    Is the dog bored at all, could be why he's having a go at the bedding but some are just chewers. Have you provided toys like filled Kongs etc. to distract the dog from chewing up the bedding or a nice safe chew toy or treat that lasts a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mesenger1

Hi all,

Thanks for very much for your replies. I honestly dont know what type of straw I used initially - how would I know the difference?? Are the different straw types easily identifiable?

Unfortunately, I'm sure he gets bored during the day hence the pulling out of any blankets, beds etc. I do have a kong toy which I put treats into but he normally has it emptied within 10m mins!! He has a large enclosed garden and numerous chew toys and balls he can play with but the reality of life is that he is left to entertain himself for some hours during the day!

Never thought of the paper getting damp and messy, thats another factor to take into account, as he is a rough collie then I would imagine it would get very messy if he gets into his kennel when he is very mucky and soaking!! Hmm, will have to think about it some more.

Keep the suggestions coming (will look into the greyhound site tho, that looks promising!!)

Kind regards
    M1

Advertisement