Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Portrait" tattoo help needed

Options
  • 11-02-2011 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hello all. For my second tattoo I am hoping to get the man(Camilo Cienfuegos) in the photo in the link as a tattoo on the underside of my forearm(specifically, from just below the elbow bend) im hoping to get it done as a silhouette like those inevitable, inescapable Che Guevara tattoo's ;) anyway im just wondering a few things and hoping you lovely folk shall help me out.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4WIDKbGX3T4ZKHIgS31X66hyrqPowrbv7oAOohEdbihY2gMxM&t=1

1) I hope to get it done in the dimension of roughly 4 inches across and 4 inches down, Is that an okay size or will there be a problem?

2)I have very fair, soft, delicate skin(and somehow im still male) and when i got my first tattoo the artist mentioned how my skin seemed to absorb alot of the ink and i read somewhere that this kind of skin makes fine detail impossible to do, if that true?

3)For the location the tattoo will be at(underside of forearm) i am wondering that since it is a facial, finely detailed tattoo will it become terribly smudged and blurry when i raise my forearm or have it anyway when its not out-stretched(When its bent the skin is not tense so becomes quite squidgy, slightly flabby and not firm.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I'd say it'll need to be a bit bigger - esp if you want to include any of the neck or shoulders. tbh, if you are going to put it on the inside of the lower arm - you'de be as well to take up the whole space, you will end up with a better tattoo for it. At the very least the whole upper half (before it tapers toward the wrist.

I've not come across skin too fine to hold a sillouette, but mentioning it to your tattooist is not a bad idea

the lower arm does not warp much (relative to other spaces on the body) when you move, i wouldn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

Thank you for the reply but my only problem with size is that i am of a slight build and my forearm is quite slender and 4 inches wide would be the maximum to go without the tattoo sliding/warping around the sides to make a very rounded look, which i do not want.

Is it possible to make a small 3x3 tattoo on the forearm of just the head of the bloke? I am curious as to why that is generally considered not advisable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

It is going to blur out over time. Allowances need to be made for the ink moving around as you age, and the smaller a piece is the more the detail is sacrificed for greater clarity.

tattoos often wrap around a body part, so long as the placement is good, it shouldn't be an issue.

Advertisement