Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networked media devices, connection speeds?

Options
  • 11-02-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Interesting issue here...

I have a 1Gbit router (Netgear DGN3500). I use it at home to connect a laptop and some media devices such as a TV, Satellite Set Top Box (STB) and Blue Ray player.

I connect the devices via cable. The laptop seems fine and the routers port lights green but I notice when connecting some of the other devices that the corresponding lan port on the router lights amber.

According to my routers manual, and I quote...
    If a LAN port is connected to a 100 Mbps device, verify that the port’s LED is green. If the port is 10 Mbps, the LED is amber.
    This would suggest that my devices are connecting at 10Mbit ????????????

Now according to Netgear tech support which remains somewhat vague thus far..they say...
    on gigabit router, green = 1Gbit connection, if amber it is 10/100 and it is negotiated at 10Mbps based on router and the network adapter

force the network adapter to 100base-t full duplex on network adapter

So, how do I do that with say a DLNA TV, or a STB? Are my devices connecting at 10Mbit or 100Mbit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

depends on the network adapters in the connected devices.

e.g

your router is 1Gbit (100mbps transfer speed)

you connect a computer to it. but the computer only has a 100mbit ethernet card (10mbps) in it.

the maximum speed you will ever acheive is 10mbps so the amber light will come on.

check all the devices that are connected, find out the network interface cards installed in them, and this will tell you what speed they should run at.

in your case, the laptop gives a green light because it has a gbit network card inside.
    however, the device giving you an amber light probably only has a 100mbit card. so the maximum speed that will give is 10mbps.

remember, your network will only run as fast as the slowest device.

say you transfer a movie from your laptop to your media player.
    the laptop has a Gbit card, your router is Gbit, but your media player is 100Mbit.

the maximum speed this will achieve is 10mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

depends on the network adapters in the connected devices.

e.g

your router is 1Gbit (100mbps transfer speed)

you connect a computer to it. but the computer only has a 100mbit ethernet card (10mbps) in it.

the maximum speed you will ever acheive is 10mbps so the amber light will come on.

check all the devices that are connected, find out the network interface cards installed in them, and this will tell you what speed they should run at.

in your case, the laptop gives a green light because it has a gbit network card inside.
    however, the device giving you an amber light probably only has a 100mbit card. so the maximum speed that will give is 10mbps.

remember, your network will only run as fast as the slowest device.

say you transfer a movie from your laptop to your media player.
    the laptop has a Gbit card, your router is Gbit, but your media player is 100Mbit.

the maximum speed this will achieve is 10mbps.

Think you might be missing a a zero in some of your calculations.

1Gbit = 116MB theoretical maximum (100MB not 100Mb)

100Mbit = 12.5MB theoretical maximum (10MB not 10Mb)

10Mbit = theoretical maximum 1.25MB

etc etc

MB = MegaByte
    Mb / Mbit = Megabit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

dnme wrote: »
    Think you might be missing a a zero in some of your calculations.

1Gbit = 116MB theoretical maximum (100MB not 100Mb)

100Mbit = 12.5MB theoretical maximum (10MB not 10Mb)

10Mbit = theoretical maximum 1.25MB

etc etc

MB = MegaByte
    Mb / Mbit = Megabit

heh sorry, i typed it on my iphone while walking :/

Advertisement