Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

gizmo wrote: »

And as I asked before, how come you're one of the very few people who keep harping on about how bad the graphics are? I don't have my gaming rig with me at the moment unfortunately but I'd love to see some screenshots given our rigs are quite similar as it happens.

You'll see yourself when you try the demo, usual console smoke and mirrors console graphics. The leaked SP did look more impressive although only dx9, must install it again and compare, I was feeling guilty and wiped it but not now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

And as I asked before, how come you're one of the very few people who keep harping on about how bad the graphics are? I don't have my gaming rig with me at the moment unfortunately but I'd love to see some screenshots given our rigs are quite similar as it happens.

The graphics are not bad but they are far from stunning. I was quite underwhlemed with them when I fired it up. Played on max settings/resolution and it looks nice - but not majorly impressive. Bulletstorm looks prettier!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You'll see yourself when you try the demo, usual console smoke and mirrors console graphics. The leaked SP did look more impressive although only dx9, must install it again and compare, I was feeling guilty and wiped it but not now
    Well as Overheal probably rightly pointed out, I'd imagine the console demo was simply ported over to the PC to satiate the baying masses of PC gamers. While many may complain that it's a lazy port, it did accomplish one thing, at least people will know whether they can run the game.

As for the final finished version. I'd be utterly shocked if it looked anything other than downright awesome. It will depend on their networking model of course but there should be no real reason to downgrade the graphics just for the multiplayer side of things at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is auto-aim actually allowed in multiplayer? If so, consider me uninterested.

Kiith wrote: »
    Is auto-aim actually allowind in multiplayer? If so, consider me uninterested.

There is only MP in the MP Demo :D

Its actaully on by default :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Interesting side by side of PC Vs XBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

marco_polo wrote: »

Bloody hell the PC version is streets ahead, even in DX9.

Lighting & shadows are from a different era on the xbox.

Even the HUD is stationary on the Xbox, it bobs & moves with you on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

marco_polo wrote: »

I find 4:50 surprising, that there would be better ambient light rendering on the 360 that is. Granted that could just be a different brightness/contrast.

Well as Overheal probably rightly pointed out, I'd imagine the console demo was simply ported over to the PC to satiate the baying masses of PC gamers. While many may complain that it's a lazy port, it did accomplish one thing, at least people will know whether they can run the game.
    People will know they can run the game on the low end. The DX9 end. This wasn't exactly a benchmark of any sort.
    If you're going to limit the games you play to those which have destructive environments then you're going to be reduced to what, 2 maybe 3 games out there?

Because one of the large joys of owning a computer with advanced hardware is the advanced hardware. I've built a machine with enough graphics and processing to fold proteins. Why would I then only use my machine for the windows calculator to add up my groceries bill? I wouldn't. Well not only.

High-end PCs are expensive and it's nice to see them get put to work. The Demo isn't doing this though. Half the fun of the original Crysis - and what earned it so much hype - is that as reviewers pointed out the maximum settings weren't even really attainable on then-conventional hardware, it was a graphics engine designed for a theoretical future-spec, using Moore's Law I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    People will know they can run the game on the low end. The DX9 end. This wasn't exactly a benchmark of any sort.
    Oh I agree but people will still see Crysis 2 and think "oh ****, Crysis, my PC will never run that".
    Because one of the large joys of owning a computer with advanced hardware is the advanced hardware. I've built a machine with enough graphics and processing to fold proteins. Why would I then only use my machine for the windows calculator to add up my groceries bill? I wouldn't. Well not only.
    You missed my point, I was highlighting the fact that there simply aren't that many games out there with destructible terrain. Therefore writing off this one for that reason was a bit silly. :)
    High-end PCs are expensive and it's nice to see them get put to work. The Demo isn't doing this though. Half the fun of the original Crysis - and what earned it so much hype - is that as reviewers pointed out the maximum settings weren't even really attainable on then-conventional hardware, it was a graphics engine designed for a theoretical future-spec, using Moore's Law I'm sure.
    Most certainly agree however look at it from Crytek's point of view, what good did that approach do them? Sure they sold over a million copies but it took a hell of a long time to get there and an extremely large proportion of those sales would have been a price point far lower than the original RRP. As it stands we still have a visually impressive game (going by the single player footage at least) which also judging by the benchmarks I've seen still takes a decent rig to get the best out of at framerates above the 40 mark, so I don't really get the problem. :o

You missed my point, I was highlighting the fact that there simply aren't that many games out there with destructible terrain. Therefore writing off this one for that reason was a bit silly.
    Agree. Destruction is gimmicky at best anyway. I was pretty underwhelmed by RF Guerilla actually. Despite the ape**** enemy NPCs the buildings all reduced down to the same predictable chunks of lego.

Destructible Environments are over-hyped as in general there are few ways to design them for good gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Agree. Destruction is gimmicky at best anyway. I was pretty underwhelmed by RF Guerilla actually. Despite the ape**** enemy NPCs the buildings all reduced down to the same predictable chunks of lego.

Destructible Environments are over-hyped as in general there are few ways to design them for good gameplay.

Battlefield 3 could possibly change this.

Battlefield 3 could possibly change this.

Probably the next level we'd been hoping for on pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Tusky wrote: »
    The graphics are not bad but they are far from stunning. I was quite underwhlemed with them when I fired it up. Played on max settings/resolution and it looks nice - but not majorly impressive. Bulletstorm looks prettier!

this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

So is anyone playing this? Iv put in about 10 hours so far online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

nuxxx wrote: »
    So is anyone playing this? Iv put in about 10 hours so far online

You've put 10 hours into a demo???!?!?:confused:

I might mess around with my firewall and give the demo another chance, but I can't really see myself playing it for more than a few rounds to check out the graphics TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Bloody hell the PC version is streets ahead, even in DX9.

Lighting & shadows are from a different era on the xbox.

Even the HUD is stationary on the Xbox, it bobs & moves with you on the PC.

It doesnt really look all that more impressive on PC. Textures are sharper and lighting is better but its not the difference youd expect from a high end pc vs a 5 year old console

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

It doesnt really look all that more impressive on PC. Textures are sharper and lighting is better but its not the difference youd expect from a high end pc vs a 5 year old console

Ah its a lot better in fairness. But then again, why would it look extremely different, when its been basically ported from the Xbox to PC?

They've just added some better filtering, dynamic lighting and shadows and a few other things. They weren't about to get the designers to re-do all the art and textures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

tman wrote: »
    You've put 10 hours into a demo???!?!?:confused:

Yah so when they release the full game I`ll actually be somewhat decent at the multiplayer

the latest love letter from CryEngine 3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Patch out now mostly addresses some login issues, crash bugs as well as G35 USB headset problems (And 'press start' is now 'press enter' :p).

EDIT: No need for link it is an auto update

The patch for the recently released Crysis 2 Demo. This fixes some issues in the initial release.

Changes include
    •"Press Start to Begin" has been changed to "Press Enter to Begin" on the main menu
    •Ping changes in server browser - no ping for anyone now (all 0) - "Crytek is working very hard to fix this for the shipping game"
    •Fixed crash if getting force disconnected from a dedicated server (although the force disconnect issue has been resolved anyway)
    •Account creation now works properly
    •G35 headset fix now implemented
    •People not able to sign in with certain characters such as "-" or "numbers" in their username, now can

• Advertisement

headset fix :confused:

I have the G930s - the wireless equivalent of G35 - and they worked apart from the Maximum Armor mode sounding horrible. Bass issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Is that running in DX9?

Is that running in DX9?
    I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Impressive. This is what I'd be expecting from the next gen.

ohhhh i get it now, CryEngine: the engine so beautiful it brings tears to your eyes. at least in theory :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Didn't it say CryEngine for cinema? Are they just pushing dev tools for movie CGI?
    Crytek seem more interested in selling licenses for their engine than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

5uspect wrote: »
    Didn't it say CryEngine for cinema? Are they just pushing dev tools for movie CGI?
    Crytek seem more interested in selling licenses for their engine than anything else.
    It think it was referring to cinematics, in game stuff.

5uspect wrote: »
    Well it makes sense. Quake engines have been killer.

Also when you look at titles like LA Noire and what developers are putting into their games, they want to have these tools. Makes sense to build a licensable engine that does it, so that not every team out there would have to re-brew the wheel in-house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Well it makes sense. Quake engines have been killer.

Yep... If you've got the tools and a hyped up app to demo them with, you'd be a fool not to try to have a piece of Epic's pie!

• Advertisement

speak of the devil: http://gizmodo.com/#!5779839/epic-games-new-unreal-engine++this-is-what-next-gen-gaming-looks-like

Was I thinking of Unreal engine, yes I was.

Advertisement