Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

First time playing it for any decent length of time tonight, good enough fun, although as i haven't really played much in the way of MP shooters since about COD4 (L4D the exception) so I have relatively little recent experience to compare it against in terms of gameplay etc.

Turning off motion blur and mouse acceleration does make a huge difference though, it was nearly giving me a bloody headache. Shame it has to be done from the command line Crytek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I'll be buying this game for sure on release thanks to this early act of piracy.
    I think when piracy is committed on this scale and when the effects will be so obviously devastating that I have no choice but to support the developer. I may not have bought this game for a while otherwise. But it is (based on the demo) I reckon the most advanced game engine out there, and now in its third edition, the most efficient.
    It would be a shame to see their effort wasted and then have future developments squandered on sub-par platforms like consoles, phones or handhelds.
    The PC is bleeding edge technology. It pretty much always has been. It also serves as the platform that leads all others in technical innovation. Not only do we risk losing a platform that demonstrates future technology for consoles, but we risk being abandoned altogether through mass-acts of piracy like this.

I would support the banning of anyone found discussing the pirated copy, let alone how to download it.

Disclosure:
    I have pirated a few games in the past. First when I couldnt afford them (age 13) and again when the real product was completely unavailable whilst living in a developing country. Naturally though I spend hundreds every year on games alone. I dont have a specific budget. I tend to play games through once then move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

fluffer wrote: »
    I would support the banning of anyone found discussing the pirated copy, let alone how to download it.

Isnt that up to the moderators buddy

I have the pirate copy, played it for a hour or two, will be buying the full game aswell

I have the pirate copy, played it for a hour or two, will be buying the full game aswell
    It sure is. And I would support them banning you. I thought I made that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

nuxxx wrote: »

It sure is. And I would support them banning you. I thought I made that clear.

If either of you read the charter you would both be banned. So umm?

Finished Warhead tonight only have it 2 years or so, kinda liked the last couple of levels. Obtained the leaked "special" demo of crysis 2. Will buy it when its the same price as Crysis and Warhead which i think was a fiver for both. Dont see anyone licencing this engine for top titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The thing people crying about piracy dont realise is that the leaked beta is in no way a substitute for the whole game. Its not like youve jsut gotten a free game, the beta is crash prone, on a few levels will load, loads of **** is missing, and it was never intended to be sold in the first place.
    It wont affect sales at all, imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It wont affect sales at all, imo.

But it will be a nice excuse if sales don't reach the targets they hoped for. Epic did the same with Unreal Tournament 3, and blamed piracy. It had nothing to do with releasing a shoddy game...no. Just piracy.

Kiith wrote: »
    But it will be a nice excuse if sales don't reach the targets they hoped for. Epic did the same with Unreal Tournament 3, and blamed piracy. It had nothing to do with releasing a shoddy game...no. Just piracy.

The only way i see it negatively affecting sales is if someone played it, thought "thats ****", and doesnt buy the retail game. Theyre not gonna be playing the beta in place of the full release. And frankly thats what the job of a single player demo should have done, i.e. let people make up their own mind wether theyll buy it or not, but no, we got a cut and paste job of a 360 multiplayer demo instead :rolleyes:

Any PC sales Crytek lose will be down to ther absolutely cackhanded mis-management of the PC demo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The only way i see it negatively affecting sales is if someone played it, thought "thats ****", and doesnt buy the retail game. Theyre not gonna be playing the beta in place of the full release. And frankly thats what the job of a single player demo should have done, i.e. let people make up their own mind wether theyll buy it or not, but no, we got a cut and paste job of a 360 multiplayer demo instead :rolleyes:

Any PC sales Crytek lose will be down to ther absolutely cackhanded mis-management of the PC demo

Maybe the leak was deliberate!!! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dont see anyone licencing this engine for top titles.

Why not? If the price is right and the development tools are good then it should do decent business.

It seems to be doing alright for a new engine that has had no commercial games released as of yet. There are a least a half a dozen games in development, albeit four are MMOG so not by any means AAA titles. The most high profile title thus far is probably Sniper:Ghost Warrior 2.

If smaller developers are willing to license it certainly suggests that it has a decent chance of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Which may well have been exacerbated by the beta theft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

just playing abit of the original crysis there.
    what pi$$es me off about crysis 2 is the stripping down of the suit mods.
    You basically have two modes as opposed to 4.

The stealth mod wares down regardless of whether your moving or standing still, this makes an ambush much less of a viable option.

The speed mod used to allow you to move along at running speed but still keep your weapon raised, that was cool why did they get rid of it?

I play crysis 1 with a 360 controller and it's not like the control system was confusing or finnicky in any way so there's absolutely no justification for this.

On the other hand the mantling and ground-pounds are a welcome addition.

/rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah but at least you can shoot in stealth now - following the Pseudo science of how this stealth technology works, not Klingon or Romulan tech.

I know this was a near-release edition that was leaked and it also leaked with the DRM key. I assume this means that people with a dodgy copy can update etc as if they owned a full one.

It got me thinking though. Surely the best way forward for them would be to change the DRM entirely to a new system. This will at least block everyone with a dodgy copy from benefitting from patches and of course block them from the multiplayer and any future DLC.

-if of course the leaked copy auto-updates then they could transmit an update that cripples them. I know people could reinstall, but I'm sure it would feel good!

I know this was a near-release edition that was leaked and it also leaked with the DRM key. I assume this means that people with a dodgy copy can update etc as if they owned a full one.

It got me thinking though. Surely the best way forward for them would be to change the DRM entirely to a new system. This will at least block everyone with a dodgy copy from benefitting from patches and of course block them from the multiplayer and any future DLC.

-if of course the leaked copy auto-updates then they could transmit an update that cripples them. I know people could reinstall, but I'm sure it would feel good!

The leak does not auto update or anything like it. Its a beta build, which is far, far from the finished product.

im still upset theres no dx11 support in the demo. I have a dx11 card and havent really given those libraries a good honest push on anything i find worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    im still upset theres no dx11 support in the demo. I have a dx11 card and havent really given those libraries a good honest push on anything i find worth playing.
    Have you not played Metro 2033 with DX11?

gizmo wrote: »
    Have you not played Metro 2033 with DX11?
    Mightve........ /runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Overheal wrote: »
    Mightve........ /runs

Remember that horrible sinking feeling when you tried to run Crysis on a rig that made mincemeat out of everything else that was out at the time?... Be prepared for a trip down memory lane!

*sobs*

yeah i ran it a while ago. its a little bad, but still playable. dial back a setting or two and it runs good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

tman wrote: »
    Remember that horrible sinking feeling when you tried to run Crysis on a rig that made mincemeat out of everything else that was out at the time?... Be prepared for a trip down memory lane!

*sobs*

Yeah, but it is a real cross platform scalable engine this Cryengine claims to be, but we're in no way seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

So guy's PS3 or Xbox for this? Has anyone heard which it runs better on?

And no wise cracks from our PC bretheran, we all know what you are going to say :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Haven't heard that it runs any better on either platform.

Actually just found this although it is quite old http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/04/14/crysis-2-is-performing-better-on-ps3-than-xbox-360-crytek/.

Either way I'm really looking forward to this, looks like fun.

I did hear that it has support for up to eight cpu cores so I get the impression that ps3 would be the way to go, then again the 360 controller is nicer for FPS.
    I'l be getting the PC version and using my 360 controller with auto aim off

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I'l be getting the PC version and using my 360 controller with auto aim off

FPS on a PC? With a controller? Are you mad?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

"CrinkNoob"! lolz

Who cares what people use to play a game with... As long as you're comfortable with it and prefer it to the other control schemes, fill your boots!

However, you'd have to be seriously nuts to attempt multiplayer on the PC with a controller!

It's the way of the future dudes. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Demo is in PS Store now.

Advertisement