Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Handy little tool posted over in the steam forum for tweaking the graphics. Works just great on disabling motion blur and mouse acceleration/smoothing.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2T4YXY1F

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

I long for the day when a developer releases a product thats fully tested and thats not rushed out the door because the marketting people say it has to ship on a certain date or becasue someone has f'ed up and leaked a copy. There doesn't seem to be much quality control on games and the lazy developer can rush releases because the idiots that buy them can download their 100mb+ patches every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

How much is xbox 360 version of crysis 2 in Harvey Normans and Tesco?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've upload screenshots on the Steam Cloud. This is it pretty much maxed out at 1680 x 1050.

The texture quality isn't great TBH.
    DE72A6B85E8981155B069541E0BD713ABD7E96E6

• Registered Users Posts: 54,385 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

marco_polo wrote: »
    Handy little tool posted over in the steam forum for tweaking the graphics. Works just great on disabling motion blur and mouse acceleration/smoothing.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2T4YXY1F

Marco is this right

A82PK.png

the bottom left hand corner bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

omerin wrote: »
    I long for the day when a developer releases a product thats fully tested and thats not rushed out the door because the marketting people say it has to ship on a certain date or becasue someone has f'ed up and leaked a copy. There doesn't seem to be much quality control on games and the lazy developer can rush releases because the idiots that buy them can download their 100mb+ patches every few weeks.
    Your use of developer there is incorrect. No developer wants to release an unfinished product, the publisher will be the one pushing for its release date. The number of games which are leaked early which haven't gone gold is also tiny compared to the number of those which leak afterwards. And finally with regards quality control, every publisher will have an army of QA testers on each project, the problem is, not every bug they pick up on will be able to be fixed in time so the point is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

omerin wrote: »

Long no more! Portal 2 is out on the 22nd of next month.

I have to agree with you. Sections of the gaming industry are getting away with murder (metaphorically speaking) at the moment. Any broken piece of **** can be released under a large advertising campaign and the sales figures are logged. Note Homefront has sold 2.4million copies to date - for a completely broken product. It will be interesting to see the sales figures of the next Operation Flashpoint release.

Back on topic - how is the PS3 format game playing? Any gamebreaking issues?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Headshot wrote: »
    Marco is this right

<image snip>

the bottom right hand corner bits

Should be yeah, just press apply once you have picked your settings and start the game (You should see an autoexec.cfg file created in the Crysis 2 Directory). I'd increase the Field of view to about 65-70, turn off blur, and the mouse settings and it plays way better.

Extreme settings are killing my HD4870 in the large open areas though (<25fps @1080p) , so I find I'm having to compromise a bit on post processing effects and shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I played xbox version all day and had no trouble even once.

**** storm was pc version. I bet if they would stick with one log in server and platform then there would be no trouble. Etc steam?

Now you got to go through:

EA account
    Mycrysis account
    Gamespy account
    Steam ( optional )

Seriuosly? Why the feck they did it? When they looked at that, they said: yup sounds good, let's do it. Can you imagine?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

gizmo wrote: »
    Your use of developer there is incorrect. No developer wants to release an unfinished product, the publisher will be the one pushing for its release date. The number of games which are leaked early which haven't gone gold is also tiny compared to the number of those which leak afterwards. And finally with regards quality control, every publisher will have an army of QA testers on each project, the problem is, not every bug they pick up on will be able to be fixed in time so the point is redundant.

EA were the ones pushing this out all right but QA testers really did a half ass job considering the amount of people having problems with the multiplayer side of things.

Saying that tho the game looks amazing running on a PC with everything maxed out :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Played for an hour or two and my first impressions are.

Gameplay wise, its quite good. Its much less open than Crysis 1 in terms of level size but the levels seem a good bit wider than your average FPS game.
    Weapons feel okay, nothing thats stands out of yet. It plays like a have way house between COD and Crysis 1. Enemy count is similar to Crysis Warhead, firefights are very quite heavy. A.I seems quite good so far. They can't detect you at range that well until your detected for the first time and then ranged opponents can pick you out from considerable distances. Haven't seen any glitches with them yet. Hitboxes seem fine too. Much harder game than Crysis 1. You die much quicker, larger number of enemies that are very accurate and no quick saving.

Weapons have lost the ability to change fire rate which is dissapointing. No side lean either and no going prone. Instead replaced with a sort of first person cover lean for that gaming cliche chest high wall cover.

Nano suit seems inferior to the suit in Crysis 1. You die much faster. Armour mode absorbs much less damage, sprint is alot slower. Stealth is fine and power jumping is improved though.

Storywise, nothing too exciting or terrible yet. Seem to be making more effort in this department than in Crysis 1.

Graphics are very good, but don't match Crysis 1. Does not have the wow factor Crysis 1 had in this depertment when it was first was released. Maybe DX11 update will help.

Audio and soundtrack are very good.

PC version lacks graphics customisation settings. Which is dissapointing.
    Runs fine on my machine at max graphics settings, at the moment.

Multiplayer I have not played. Played the demo and thought it was similar to COD. Good for a quick blast but I doubt it will hold my attentions.

Overall, good but not great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Coming in a patch later.

(crysis 2 is the woman)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Azza wrote: »
    Weapons have lost the ability to change fire rate which is dissapointing.

On PC press 2 to change the rate ;)

I've played it a few hours now, it's difficult and forces you to think things through. But I like it, it looks great and I'm playing it on average settings (It runs smooth and looks excellent at this rate) I'd love to have a proper rig for it but it looks far, far from shìt on even the lowest setting.

I do have some some major gripes, though:
    • The AI truly is horrific. I've seen this mentioned quite alot around the net but when I saw it for myself it really brought home how rushed this game is. The enemies (especially the aliens) are so stupid and are unable to interact with the enviornment correctly it makes me think am I playing the Beta version. It's honestly 50/50 on the amount of times I've come across competent enemies and ones that get stuck at a pillar just running or get caught beside a prop (crazy animations ensues). I can even walk right up to them uncloaked and nothing happens. The same can be said when 5 enemies are standing beside each other, I shoot one of them (with a silencer) and nobody reacts, despite they've seen their comrade being shot. I've seen far, far better AI than this in lower calibre games.
    • The animations are really bizzare. Alot of the infected civilians you come across don't have their animations in a loop so when you walk into a room, certain ones are triggered to do things and then...............they freeze, never to move again. One notable one was when a woman talks to you, her mouth just moves like a fish and then she stops like a statue. Come on, this is 2011 not early FPS mullarkey. This is more of a rant against rushing games to the public than anything worthwhile towards gameplay
    • Tactical Recomandations - Didn't mind it at first but now it's annoying. I walk into an area, I'm told to scope the area (which tells me where weapons, enemies, possible routes are) and it just ruins it. If I walk into an area, I don't want to be told who's there, I don't want to know about it. Where's the fun and danger when you're told where everything and everybody is? Instead I just ignore the Sneak, Slide, Avoid, etc, recomendations and just do my own thing. At least that way it's more fun not knowing what could happen.
    • Killing the aliens to purchase upgrades (from who!?!) is another annoying trait of games lately and this has it in spades. One of the 1st perks you "purchase" is a Tracer perk which shows where the enemy fire is coming from. Fortunately, you can disable them / don't bother buying them.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and I'm enjoying it but it feels so diluted and constrained in it's supposed "freedom" of things to do when approaching situations.

I had a great screencap showing the AI bug with 4 enemies floating in the air looking at me but I lost the PrintScreen by copying the above quote :o Derp!

I find pistol + stealth oberpowered... Took out 4 guys in one bunch by just headshoting one by one. You domt come out of stealth when you shoot pistol....

Xbox version got problem with parties and squads. Frustration. I am constantly on lowest bar connection too...

I love game and will play it, but damn need some fixing... I wount be putting away bc2 just yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

Is it just me or is the title music awesome? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

No it's just you no I like it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just got it up and running on an E6600, gtx 460 and 2gb of ram.

Smooth as silk and looks beautiful. My wife was even impressed and she has as much interest in computer games as i have in.......non-computer games.........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Duggy747 wrote: »
    • The AI truly is horrific. I've seen this mentioned quite alot around the net but when I saw it for myself it really brought home how rushed this game is. The enemies (especially the aliens) are so stupid and are unable to interact with the enviornment correctly it makes me think am I playing the Beta version. It's honestly 50/50 on the amount of times I've come across competent enemies and ones that get stuck at a pillar just running or get caught beside a prop (crazy animations ensues). I can even walk right up to them uncloaked and nothing happens. The same can be said when 5 enemies are standing beside each other, I shoot one of them (with a silencer) and nobody reacts, despite they've seen their comrade being shot. I've seen far, far better AI than this in lower calibre games.

I seem to get stuck myself at random. I would be dashing across an area and I would suddenly hit an invisible wall.
    [*]Tactical Recomandations - Didn't mind it at first but now it's annoying. I walk into an area, I'm told to scope the area (which tells me where weapons, enemies, possible routes are) and it just ruins it. If I walk into an area, I don't want to be told who's there, I don't want to know about it. Where's the fun and danger when you're told where everything and everybody is? Instead I just ignore the Sneak, Slide, Avoid, etc, recomendations and just do my own thing. At least that way it's more fun not knowing what could happen.

Remember eavesdropping on dudes in FarCry with the sniper-rifle/binoculars from about a mile away and planning your attack? Them were the days.

The opening few levels reminded me a lot of Half-Life 2. Fortunately it's starting to find it's own feet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Heckler wrote: »
    Just got it up and running on an E6600, gtx 460 and 2gb of ram.

Smooth as silk and looks beautiful.

Assume you mean at the highest graphical settings but, at what resolution?

1680*1050? :)

1920*1200? :D

2560*1600? :eek:

800*600? :pac:

• How do you enable 5.1 in the PC version, I dont see any options in the game menu? Optical jack is connected directly to the onbaord optical out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Dammit I can't decide what to go for - PC version running on 2010 model 27" i7 iMac, or XBox on 50" plasma. Edging towards the PC version, but I've got awfully fond of among from the couch in recent years...

Overheal wrote: »
    As I said above, the expectation that they could deliver a PC version of the game supporting all three versions of DirectX, a fully featured level editor, two new console SKUs and multiplayer mode is wholly unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

As I said above, the expectation that they could deliver a PC version of the game supporting all three versions of DirectX, a fully featured level editor, two new console SKUs and multiplayer mode is wholly unrealistic.

Why bother releasing the pc version if its not ready, they could have done a Rockstar games and held off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why bother releasing the pc version if its not ready, they could have done a Rockstar games and held off.

I somehow doubt Rockstar games ever held off releasing a PC version to make sure it's ready, more due to exclusivity deals or just plain not being bothered with it...

Well they obviously put little effort into the pc version, why not wait and do it right besides giving us a console port. I very much doubt we'll see dx11, they'll string everyone along and then blame piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

They would definitely sell less copies if they released it after the consoles, they need that initial hype.

Console wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the title music awesome? :D

i freaking hate that tune allready, i thought its cool, but when i heard it 100 times on loop while trying to get my pc version work, then 100 times on loop to try xbox live party and squad to work i fecking hate it!

p.s. in single player pistol with silencer is WAAAAAY OP gun.

it does not drain your stealth while shooting. you can make 4-5 shots before stealth will come off. Ai does not notice from where shots were done. its really tooooo overpowered atm. i am just using it vs any human enemy...

Spunge wrote: »
    They would definitely sell less copies if they released it after the consoles, they need that initial hype.

I very much doubt that, lots of pc gamers also have consoles, they'd get it twice, where at the moment some are buying it on pc and renting the console version

I very much doubt that, lots of pc gamers also have consoles, they'd get it twice

i bought bouth :rolleyes:

for sp and some mp i use xbox one. for mp with lads pc version. which does not even work.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

From EA's perspective it was done to the extent where it allowed the largest number of people to play it satisfactorily - it shipped with DX9 mode and looks pretty damn good as is. The PC version can then take advantage of the marketing campaign for the console versions which will maximise sales, the team working on supporting the game can be reduced to the minimum needed to deliver the required content patches and those left over can be moved onto the next project. That's simply how these things work.

The Rockstar comparison is pretty hilarious given the shocking state the PC version of GTAIV arrived in.
    Well they obviously put little effort into the pc version, why not wait and do it right besides giving us a console port. I very much doubt we'll see dx11, they'll string everyone along and then blame piracy.
    Let's not kid ourselves here, if there was a staggered release I absolutely guarantee that you and many others would be still bitching in here about it for these same reasons.

Advertisement