Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

gizmo wrote: »
    The Rockstar comparison is pretty hilarious given the shocking state the PC version of GTAIV arrived in.

Yeah, you're right there, it was a mess, but it being late didnt' affect sales, it sold well on pc.
    Console ports are ruining pc gaming .................and they blame piracy. I'd much prefer the delay than get a crappy unfinished game and lots of promises

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I keep hearing Sarge from Battlefield Bad Company in the NPC chatter. It's really distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As I said above, the expectation that they could deliver a PC version of the game supporting all three versions of DirectX, a fully featured level editor, two new console SKUs and multiplayer mode is wholly unrealistic.
    Is it wholly unrealistic? For Crysis to be able to launch their flagship engine under its flagship title on an AAA(A?) Budget? On time? Complete? Did we really need a level editor right out of the gate? To shun PC Gamers who have been rolling into DX11 for the past year in anticipation of titles like these? And thats why I won't be buying it until they do introduce DX11.

To reiterate:

Let's not kid ourselves here, if there was a staggered release I absolutely guarantee that you and many others would be still bitching in here about it for these same reasons.
    As far as Im concerned: it is a staggered release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Graphics aint great, played a hour or two so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

So PS3 users how is it holding up?
    Bought it yesterday but won't get to play it until tomorrow (damn family life):(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right there, it was a mess, but it being late didnt' affect sales, it sold well on pc.
    Console ports are ruining pc gaming .................and they blame piracy. I'd much prefer the delay than get a crappy unfinished game and lots of promises
    Actually it being late strongly affected sales.
    Sales for the Windows version of the game were considerably less successful [than the console release]. According to NPD Group the game debuted at #7 of their weekly top ten. One week later, the game disappeared completely from the top ten published by NPD Group.

Piracy has nothing to do with Crysis 2 being in the state it is in now, it is simply reflecting the dominant position of console gaming in the core market. Would I like more time spent on the PC version? Of course, to me Crysis is a game which belongs on the PC. But that doesn't mean I can't see it from their perspective especially when the sales data is staring them right in the face and they, as a studio have bills to pay. Nor does it mean I'll write the game off because it doesn't bring my top of the line gaming rig to its knees (while at the same time remaining playable on more common hardware) and takes away my beloved prone key.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Is it wholly unrealistic? For Crysis to be able to launch their flagship engine under its flagship title on an AAA(A?) Budget? On time? Complete?
    Your idea of complete is what makes it wholly unrealistic. Look at what they had to do in under three years - develop the engine into it's current 2.0 state, get said engine working on consoles (a monumental task, especially if you take the line of some of the PC diehards in here that console tech is so dated ;)), develop 3 SKUs and add a new multiplayer mode. The workload was evidently so large at that that the MP mode was farmed out to Crytek UK yet people still want DX10 and DX11 support which require a significant amount of code to be written in order to get the best out of them.
    Did we really need a level editor right out of the gate?
    No, it didn't need a level editor right out of the gate. That hasn't stopped people moaning about it both on this thread and elsewhere online though.
    To shun PC Gamers who have been rolling into DX11 for the past year in anticipation of titles like these? And thats why I won't be buying it until they do introduce DX11.
    They're "shunning" a minority of PC Gamers who have systems capable of displaying the DX11 niceties. And oddly enough, despite what I've said above, I'll be joining you in the wait for the DX11 patch before buying. :)

DX9 was released in 2002, dont think its asking alot for PC gamers to expect DX10/11 in 2011, especially since crysis 1 supported DX10 and that was released 4 years ago!

Anyway I take my comment back about the graphics, some parts are insanely beatiful on hardcore @ 1080p. Now if only my damn 460 would stop crashing with slight overclocks in this game :pac:

Gameplay is also fantasic, but some soldiers have some slight movement bugs. Its also annoying that you cant shoot the people infected with the virus :D

nuxxx wrote: »
    DX9 was released in 2002, dont think its asking alot for PC gamers to expect DX10/11 in 2011, especially since crysis 1 supported DX10 and that was released 4 years ago!

Anyway I take my comment back about the graphics, some parts are insanely beatiful on hardcore @ 1080p. Now if only my damn 460 would stop crashing with slight overclocks in this game :pac:

Gameplay is also fantasic, but some soldiers have some slight movement bugs. Its also annoying that you cant shoot the people infected with the virus :D
    Well given that, from the Steam Survey stats above, only 5.6% of gamers have DX11 enabled systems I think it's actually too much to ask them to use that as the primary renderer. As for DX10, well there's not much point in implementing that if DX9 is their baseline and DX11 is their "high end" so all things considered it makes most sense to develop a high quality DX9 based renderer for use in both console and PC and then move onto DX11 which will provide features that owners of both DX10 and DX11 can take advantage of. :)

What is this steam you speak of ? :pac:

Whats annoying is if I buy a game, I`ll play it and finish it. I dont want to have to wait, or when the dx11 patch comes out, play through the entire game again. (Its just not the same experience)

The majority of games in the past couple of years, that were released on both consoles and PCs, supported DX10 and alot of recent games support DX11 too that are also console games, Dirt2 is a good example! In fact I cant remember a single game in recent years that shipped with dx9 only.

When you pay for a game you expect it to be full, its fairly dissapointing spending big bucks on a nice gpu and system, and not being able to "test" it, especially when you see a big name like crysis2.

Edit: When you say primary renderer what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well given that, from the Steam Survey stats above, only 5.6% of gamers have DX11 enabled systems I think it's actually too much to ask them to use that as the primary renderer. As for DX10, well there's not much point in implementing that if DX9 is their baseline and DX11 is their "high end" so all things considered it makes most sense to develop a high quality DX9 based renderer for use in both console and PC and then move onto DX11 which will provide features that owners of both DX10 and DX11 can take advantage of. :)

Not to mention DX10 never really took off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oh lord... Don't you thin all dx10 and dx11 it's like marketing move? MHz and mb does not sound so cool. Amd there is no point going above 1k mb anymore...

I have it all on max with as turned off. It looks great on my old system, only some frame rate drips now and then.

It's 3 year old machine. It couldn't have crysis on high at all, itbwas struggling to have it barely on medium...

Do a game for 5% of population or 100%?

U don't care about dx. If looks amazing allready, for me. All I want now for fecking thing to work. On xbox everyone have less then yellow connection accept host. On pc... Pc is just all over the place... Tryedcto play in squad with my friend and it was disaster. I really hate theme song as I heard it more then I needed and I am lvl 4... I got reset it twice so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I held off until yesterday due to all the press about how it had been lobotomised into a console port. A paragon of tactical sandbox gaming reduced to Black Ops style run and gun on rails?...which was a pretty big exaggeration. Sure it has some hard to understand face-palm elements and it will never be on the epic scale of the first 2 (even if you hated the original games no one can deny their influence on PC gaming) but it's still great fun.

The openness is reduced but then so was Crysis vs. Far Cry, there's still enough map variety to have me planning options for my next playthrough (and I rarely replay games). The action is a bit faster than the first so the suit modifications actually make sense - the system in Crysis 1 worked better for it's style, the simplified controls here and more emphasis on conserving movement energy works better for this incarnation.

Graphically I think they went the same way as the actual gameplay. More glitz and less detail. It looks soft and at times lacks detail, whereas Crysis 1 was sharp and crisp but they still do a good job overall of rendering the crumbling city: you might be disappointed at a particularly bad texture or object and then stop a few feet later to observe just how amazing the sun rays looking shining through the smoke and windows of a burning building. It does have it's moments of beauty.

The checkpoint system is very disappointing. Part of the fun of Crytek's games is approaching the levels in very different ways and having a 10 min. gap between saves really discourages this.

And my single biggest gripe is the bad voice acting. Far Cry was mediocre in this respect, Jack Carvuuuurrrr was awful, the rest were passable (with some dodgy dialogue choices for the grunts). Crysis 1, and moreso warhead had fantastic Voice Acting imho...It gave the characters a real presence in the game.
    But in C2 not only does it sound like most characters are teen american frat boys but apparently they wrote some of the dialogue e.g. Prophets lithoship flashback has Gould saying 'Prophet, where are you 'bra'...'bra'? Retard teen gimp speak that can't even manage 'bro' for a middle aged scientist :rolleyes:

I haven't tried MP but am looking forward to it (I pick and choose my MP games, I try maybe 2 or 3 a year as I like to play the hell out of them when I do).

Overall it's not what we expected from Crytek, but it's also still a worthy shooter imho. Not epic but 'just' great.

Btw there us cool mp mode. One team got suit and only pistols. Ather team got good weapons but suit powers. Search and destroy style then.

It actuolly works prety cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

weiland79 wrote: »
    So PS3 users how is it holding up?
    Bought it yesterday but won't get to play it until tomorrow (damn family life):(

I got it yesterday. Graphics are nice and more importantly it's running very smoothly.

There's some AI issues that seem to be across the board. Other than that it's good

Haven't played online yet though

nuxxx wrote: »
    What is this steam you speak of ? :pac:

Whats annoying is if I buy a game, I`ll play it and finish it. I dont want to have to wait, or when the dx11 patch comes out, play through the entire game again. (Its just not the same experience)

The majority of games in the past couple of years, that were released on both consoles and PCs, supported DX10 and alot of recent games support DX11 too that are also console games, Dirt2 is a good example! In fact I cant remember a single game in recent years that shipped with dx9 only.

When you pay for a game you expect it to be full, its fairly dissapointing spending big bucks on a nice gpu and system, and not being able to "test" it, especially when you see a big name like crysis2.

Edit: When you say primary renderer what do you mean?
    Well I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, as one of the people who have invested in a good gaming machine I too like to be able to push it with a game like Crysis. That being said, I also understand the work Crytek have had to do in the last couple of years with respect to getting their tech working on consoles so if it means I have to wait a bit of time to play Crysis 2 as I'd like, I don't mind. For me this is a staggered release but at least I know I'll be getting the version I want. The stats show though that the vast majority of gamers will be getting the "complete" now though.

As for some games shipping with various modes of DirectX ready to go, well that could simply be down to different circumstances. DiRT2 for instance, has the benefit of having a large development team behind it with an established engine which in turn has another large development team working on it. On top of that, there are the graphics card vendors pushing for the latest and greatest to be integrated into titles in order to show off said tech when it had probably never been intended putting it in in the first place.

By primary renderer I mean the graphics renderer that drives the game. In the case of Crysis 2 for the 360 and PC, that's based on DirectX 9. In order to move that onto DX10 or 11 and for it to really take advantage of those APIs, there'll need to be a good bit of work done on it. Given that DX10 is a superset of DX11 though, it makes sense for Crytek to concentrate on getting a DX11 implementation finished as then the respective enhancements for each API will be available for each card.

I agree with alot of that but i guess we just have different opinions on the matter. Hopefully the patch wont take too long

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm still getting an issue where I will stop dead mid sprint. It's gets kinda irritating and ruins the fluidity of the gameplay.
    Anyone else have this issue?

Also, out of interest, any opinions from those who had access to the "beta" on how the final version compares?

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm still getting an issue where I will stop dead mid sprint. It's gets kinda irritating and ruins the fluidity of the gameplay.
    Anyone else have this issue?

Also, out of interest, any opinions from those who had access to the "beta" on how the final version compares?

Havent had any issue with sprinting so far, although I am getting some strange sound bugs.

Compared to the leak its more or less the exact same, bugs fixed obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Have to say, I'm absolutely loving this so far. About 6 hours in and just at the
    Infilitrate the CELL Facility
    . Anyone else think the game pits quite a number of enemies against you at any time? I'm not complaining but its just something I've noticed. Creates a nice tactical scramble to find a choke point and take everyone out :D Gunplay is brilliant and along with the suit makes for some really interesting tactics.

Graphics are brilliant (water and explosions especially) and even the introduction of the
    ceph
    hasn't been overdone or drawn out. Haven't touched MP yet but probably will at some stage once the SP is done. 2 thumbs up from me Crytek.

That is it. I am taking a brake if multiplayer part if the game. I had one of the worst nerdrages half an hour ago...

I thought all this armour and stealth thing is fun multiplayer experience, but now it's just pisses me of beyond the imagination. Having ****iestbconnection and playing with Americas does not help it.

Feck that, I allmoust threw controller in to wall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,385 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That is it. I am taking a brake if multiplayer part if the game. I had one of the worst nerdrages half an hour ago...

I thought all this armour and stealth thing is fun multiplayer experience, but now it's just pisses me of beyond the imagination. Having ****iestbconnection and playing with Americas does not help it.

Feck that, I allmoust threw controller in to wall...

change the filters to European

Headshot wrote: »
    change the filters to European

On xbox version?

I don't know... Maybe it's a sign I am getting to old for all this fps... I bet I am shot in a face by 5 year olds more then I am able to walk steps...

Seriuosly, it was awile since I was raging like that I just turned off console amd walked away. As I swear I would throw controller or game in to wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,385 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

On xbox version?

I don't know... Maybe it's a sign I am getting to old for all this fps... I bet I am shot in a face by 5 year olds more then I am able to walk steps...

Seriuosly, it was awile since I was raging like that I just turned off console amd walked away. As I swear I would throw controller or game in to wall...

On the pc you can change the filters, im not sure about the xbox

what you need to do is find the right weapon (stay well clear of shot guns, they are crap) and the right perks and you'll be flying, old man. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Bad Company 2 put me right off multiplayer shooters.
    It's a great game and I still love to fire it up for 45 mins here and there but I have to face it,
    My K/D ratios are abysmal and the constant relentless beatings I get subjected to are not worth the grey hairs and stomach acid.
    I'm glad to see that Crysis 2 has a respectable SP campaign.

Headshot wrote: »
    On the pc you can change the filters, im not sure about the xbox

what you need to do is find the right weapon (stay well clear of shot guns, they are crap) and the right perks and you'll be flying, old man. :p

I used heavy mashine gun. Was working well, but then amount of times I get stabbed in to back, stealth runed, shot from idiotic distance, one shoted. Landing full clip in to fella, then he kills me with one shot. Jesus, getting shot even before I sow the killer. So many times I sow bull**** in killcams, where I land anather half clip and on kill cam I newer shot once!

Holy crap... I think I'll be back to bc2. It's slower and more tactical for my taste. My reaction and button smashing is not as it was before...

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Bad Company 2 put me right off multiplayer shooters.
    It's a great game and I still love to fire it up for 45 mins here and there but I have to face it,
    My K/D ratios are abysmal and the constant relentless beatings I get subjected to are not worth the grey hairs and stomach acid.
    I'm glad to see that Crysis 2 has a respectable SP campaign.
    Hmmm for me it's ather way around. In bc2 there is no that fast running bull****. You need to plan your moves and be careful. I can be in negative k/d but a few awesome kills make up for it. In bc2 you will kill 5 people and that ls alot. In black ops etc 20 and that's average...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I used heavy mashine gun. Was working well, but then amount of times I get stabbed in to back, stealth runed, shot from idiotic distance, one shoted. Landing full clip in to fella, then he kills me with one shot. Jesus, getting shot even before I sow the killer. So many times I sow bull**** in killcams, where I land anather half clip and on kill cam I newer shot once!

Holy crap... I think I'll be back to bc2. It's slower and more tactical for my taste. My reaction and button smashing is not as it was before...

Yeah some anti cheating code is very much needed for multiplayer. I was playing on some of the Russian servers and some of the replays of my deaths the other player's gun was not even close to be pointed at me and one shot kill shotgun blasts from miles are are pure bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

As I said before, autoaim will ruin the MP of this game

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Aim assist has been disabled in multiplayer on the PC version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Haters be damned, this game is fecking awesome! I'd put it right up there with the best Halo's if it weren't for the dodgy AI.

The soundtrack is also fantastic!

This track in particular:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKESJ4QEMs

:wub:

Edit: How do you embed YT videos? Tags ain't working for me.

Advertisement