Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Look we can talk around in circles about Direct X11, console ports, joypads v keyboard and mouse but there's one crucial thing that everyone's missing. This game lets you be The Predator.

Alcatraz is even more bad ass than the predator - When did the Predator ever kick a taxi into someones face?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

DarkJager wrote: »
    Alcatraz is even more bad ass than the predator - When did the Predator ever kick a taxi into someones face?? :D

Do they show his face during the game? Or master chief 2.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Do they show his face during the game?
    Nope.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Look we can talk around in circles about Direct X11, console ports, joypads v keyboard and mouse but there's one crucial thing that everyone's missing. This game lets you be The Predator.

Predator 2 perhaps. The first one was better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Games a hell of a lot of fun tbh and does look really good on the pc few earlier screenshots dont do it justice defiantly more liner than crysis 1 but eh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sat into it again last night and had a huge amount of fun. I was re-doing what I'd already played in my friend's house, but decided to try and be a lot more stealthy.

Warning: The following talks about the game mechanics but does not mention any specifics of the plot. If you'd rather not know then avoid the following paragraph :D

Without giving anything away, when you get to a new "bit", your armour will tell you that there are "Tactical Options Available" and you can pop your HUD into tactical mode where you can tag enemies and ammo (like you could with binoculars in the first game), but it also makes suggestions of where and how you proceed such as "stealth" over on a quiet corner and "infiltrate" through the sewers or even where to throw some grenades to take out a .50 Cal gun emplacement. I hadn't quite realised what the game was trying to tell me the first few times I was presented with this when playing in my friend's house, but last night when I was playing at home, I realised there were more markers on the HUD to point this out and I was able to play the "sneaky git" style of play that I enjoyed on the first game :D

I haven't delved into the multiplayer yet, but got a fair idea of how it'll work based on the demo. I don't think this multiplayer is quite for me, but it may be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Got the game, played it through to the end. At least it was a long enough game, fairly involved single player.

The Ai though is just so bad at times :(

The cut scenes or whatever they are that you can't skip are annoying after a while too.

Graphics wise, meh, not that impressive to me. Multiplayer isn't up to much at all either, wouldn't rate it in the slightest.

As other reviews have noted elsewhere, it seems more of a dumbed down console port than anything new for the PC.

I'm sure those new to the Crysis game playing it for the first time on PS3 or Xbox 360 might be impressed though, I could see that for sure but it just seems like a really lacklustre game on the PC.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Kharn wrote: »
    Sat into it again last night and had a huge amount of fun. I was re-doing what I'd already played in my friend's house, but decided to try and be a lot more stealthy.

Warning: The following talks about the game mechanics but does not mention any specifics of the plot. If you'd rather not know then avoid the following paragraph :D

Without giving anything away, when you get to a new "bit", your armour will tell you that there are "Tactical Options Available" and you can pop your HUD into tactical mode where you can tag enemies and ammo (like you could with binoculars in the first game), but it also makes suggestions of where and how you proceed such as "stealth" over on a quiet corner and "infiltrate" through the sewers or even where to throw some grenades to take out a .50 Cal gun emplacement. I hadn't quite realised what the game was trying to tell me the first few times I was presented with this when playing in my friend's house, but last night when I was playing at home, I realised there were more markers on the HUD to point this out and I was able to play the "sneaky git" style of play that I enjoyed on the first game :D

I haven't delved into the multiplayer yet, but got a fair idea of how it'll work based on the demo. I don't think this multiplayer is quite for me, but it may be interesting.

I found the tagging of possible routes to be hand holding myself. In FarCry and Crysis you had a more powerful zoom and you could scout out an area without having the game telling you how. Also I always liked to take my time and savour the execution of a plan. In Crysis 2 you seem to nearly always have some NPC screaming at you to hurry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Fair criticism sir, I would suggest that the basic reasons are that this is first and foremost a console game and that there is a far greater emphasis on "speeding" the game play experience on a console along. I don't intend that as a cheap shot at consolers - I'm playing it on XBox myself - it's just the reality of where the games market is now. The world feels a lot smaller. In the first game (and Far Cry) you felt like you were in an open environment and could do whatever you wanted, here you feel very much on rails but with some limited scope to wander.

I think Nehaxak sums up a lot of my own thoughts. The AI isn't all that great, but I intend to bump the difficulty up and give it another lash at some of the hotspots and see how the AI handles it. For example, I was in a multi-storey car-park and the AI was running around above me and responding to someone being there despite not having seen me, but maybe having heard some of my actions. Instead of following the path down the ramps of the car-park to come find me, they just ran around aimlessly until I approached them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I realised there were more markers on the HUD to point this out and I was able to play the "sneaky git" style of play that I enjoyed on the first game :D
    Aye, saw the sewers part, after I had gone the long way around, killing most of them with stealth kills, and hopping around from tops of buildings.
    In the first game (and Far Cry) you felt like you were in an open environment and could do whatever you wanted, here you feel very much on rails but with some limited scope to wander.
    Agreed. There was one section where I avoided 100+ heavily armed troops by silently avoiding them, but in Crysis2, there is less troops in less room.

=-=

So far, I'm enjoying it.

Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy it? One of the lads is looking to getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

the_syco wrote: »
    Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy it? One of the lads is looking to getting it.
    Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

(for pc)
    Hey lads

My nickname is brds-headshot

so add me if its possible :)

I haven't been playing that much of it but I hope to change that

Headshot wrote: »
    (for pc)
    Hey lads

My nickname is brds-headshot

so add me if its possible :)

I haven't been playing that much of it but I hope to change that

sniff sniff, boards.ie server anyone? :D

i know people are upset as its not a big island anymore, but if you will look back at it, only 1/3 of the game was island with free roaming. 1/3 island 1/3 that supid space ship 1/3 destryed linier island.

i know its a matter of choice, but i prefer to deal with a a "puzzle" in closed enviroment like in crysis 2. 2 reasons:

1. if you feck up, you cant just run in to wilderness and comeback with all panic reset.
    2. it makes you pay more attention to enviroment and surroundings.

all in all crysis 2 is a great great packadge. i will allways remember crysis 1 as a killer of my poor machine thought :P. i heard warhead was more optimised?

The AI in this game is just plain broken at times. At others, it's phenomenal.
    The corners of building is where it really shows the chinks in it's armour. NPC spazzin' out for a good two minutes and not knowing what to do.

i heard warhead was more optimised?
    Better optimised, and a more focussed game all in all.
    Less of a tech demo really. Shame the implimentation of the story/in-engine cutscenes was so poorly done. Flashbacks told by voice overs on a black screen???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Warhead definately runs better, theres little/no fps drops when shooting guns and stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A few questions...

1. Never played the first one so if I got this would I know whats going on story-wise or is it a stand-alone story for number 2?
    2. Is the single player a decent length?
    3. Is it open world, can you just run around New York blowing stuff up or is it more straight forward?

Any help much appreciated.

I had a few games there and im telling ya something very dodgy going on alright

One player could shoot his gun without his cloak going down

Must be true about the multi player been hacked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

nuxxx wrote: »
    Warhead definately runs better, theres little/no fps drops when shooting guns and stuff like that

It's not half as spectacular though. I played warhead first and was really impressed but I didn't realise that the original kicks it's ass till I played through it last month.

The alien ship and the scene where the mountain is coming down are two scenes that warhead just doesn't come close to.

dual wielding in warhead's a good laugh though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

J. Marston wrote: »
    A few questions...

1. Never played the first one so if I got this would I know whats going on story-wise or is it a stand-alone story for number 2?
    2. Is the single player a decent length?
    3. Is it open world, can you just run around New York blowing stuff up or is it more straight forward?

Any help much appreciated.

1. Its all explained during the game just the same as if you had of played Crysis 1.
    2. Yes.
    3. Not open world but for 90% of the game you have lots of options as to how you proceed through the level.

The multi player is impossible to play at the moment with all the hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

And that's if you're able to get into a MP game :(

Venom wrote: »
    And that's if you're able to get into a MP game :(

yap

the game is very broken

Now you know why I was so emo lol. Sometimes when you watch kill cams it does not make any sence...

On xbox you got lag problem. If you see good few ira, Eire, irl etc then you can expect a good game. As moustly you get pinned bs people in USA... And you know how those game end up...

Crysis 2 PC users will see a DirectX 11 patch in two to three months time, so says a report from our colleagues at Eurogamer.cz.

According to an anonymous trusted source, Crytek only started to develop for DirectX 11 in November 2010 and was unable to get it ready in time for the game's launch earlier this month.

The source also claimed that DirectX 10 will not be supported in future, as it's rendered obsolete by DirectX 11.

Yesterday, a Crytek community manager posting on the game's official forum poured water on speculation that a patch was imminent.

"No patch was ever confirmed, I have no idea why this website even posted such information" he wrote, referring to a Maximum PC story claiming that an update would arrive on Monday.

A spokesperson for publisher EA then added "We have not made any official announcements about a patch yet."

Bit of a joke waiting that long for DX 11

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't know with this game, i've played about 4 hours and it's half meh and half brilliant. I can't make my mind up about it, and i'm not that bothered about finishing it. Online isn't much fun either.. Think i may trade this in while i'll still get €45 for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I don't know with this game, i've played about 4 hours and it's half meh and half brilliant. I can't make my mind up about it, and i'm not that bothered about finishing it. Online isn't much fun either.. Think i may trade this in while i'll still get €45 for it!

In the same boat at the mo, almost finished it. Some really spectacular scenery in a few parts, the graphics are really solid, but far from what everyone was expecting imo. Gameplay wise its alot of fun but all I do is snipe everyone down, even at close range. Those damn aliens really piss me off lol, fast little feckers.

Was expecting to have problems with it on my GTX460 maxed out, but @ 1080p and hardcore settings it rarely drops under 40fps.

Will finish it in a few hours and post up my verdict here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Tried the MP (PC) last nite for a short while but was ruined by aim bot scum.
    The MP could be fun when the security issues are ironed out.

I'm loving the SP though. Not as awe inspiring as Crysis 1 but still engrossing all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bit of a joke waiting that long for DX 11

To be honest, I have a little trouble taking their 'source' too seriously when they state the following.
    "The source also claimed that DirectX 10 will not be supported in future, as it's rendered obsolete by DirectX 11."

<<insert amusing facepalm.jpg of choice here>>

No reason to believe it this one is any more accurate than the rumour it was coming last monday TBH, although it would be a shame if it was that far away.

nuxxx wrote: »
    In the same boat at the mo, almost finished it. Some really spectacular scenery in a few parts, the graphics are really solid, but far from what everyone was expecting imo. Gameplay wise its alot of fun but all I do is snipe everyone down, even at close range. Those damn aliens really piss me off lol, fast little feckers.

Was expecting to have problems with it on my GTX460 maxed out, but @ 1080p and hardcore settings it rarely drops under 40fps.

Will finish it in a few hours and post up my verdict here!

Shotgun in the face > Sniping

Advertisement