Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've just spent 20 mins in 4 different lobbies trying to get a game :(
    Pathetic

Same here... FINALLY got into a lobby and the timer stuck at 1 second left, then kept going back up to 10 seconds left and counting down again.
    On the upside I did get to meet someone claiming to be "pedobear" in one of the chat rooms... I was starstruck to say the least!

nuxxx's vid pretty much sums it up
    "Press start to begin":(
    Debating whether to cancel my pre-order after this "demo", but then again I'm not buying it for the multiplayer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

managed to get into a game there, played 4 or 5 rounds, great fun imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

jackoire wrote: »
    I just hope dx11 will be patched into the game soon after release.

Will it though, Crysis Warhead had no Dx10 in mp

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wait... was that not dx11?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Holy crap, it's smoother than a baby's bottom.
    Multiplayer seems decent, but looking to be a savage singleplayer.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    wait... was that not dx11?

Mp of warhead crysis wars was only dx9, it never got dx10 effects, has anyone actually read anywhere that mp was getting dx10 or dx11, I've my doubts.

I meant was this MP Demo DX11. Becauuuuse it ran really smooth. Strangely smooth. Unlike the Crysis I knew which as Yahtzee once put it was a game designed with a theoretical futue super-computer in mind.

Overheal wrote: »
    I meant was this MP Demo DX11.

No, it's dx9 from what I've read.

• Advertisement

Edit: Prolly jumping the gun abit, gonna wait for the full release

Hopefully it has dx11 and customizable graphic options

nuxxx wrote: »
    Edit: Prolly jumping the gun abit, gonna wait for the full release

Hopefully it has dx11 and customizable graphic options

I very much doubt it, why can't they finish the game first like valve time, remember Crysis got 1 miserable patch and all support was dropped when they announced Warhead, which in turn got 1 patch.

Mp doesn't bother me now, it's trying too hard to be a cod clone console game, no destructive environments, small maps, cod style perks, dx9 graphics. I'm out, not getting my cash now.

yeah im wary too. i smell something fishy when they plan to add dx11 post-release: Like they know it sucks, so they took it out for the launch and will wait to add it in when theyve raked in the pre-orders and whatnot.

I mean oh well: its not like i really got to playing metro 2033 either. something else to sink my hardware into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Seriously, this is some ****ing dumbed down ****. From DX11 being patched in later, to 'press start to play', to a FOV so restrictive its like youre wearing blinkers, its just gonna be yet another retarded cod clone to appeal to the masses

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Have to say the multiplayer is very COD like, which doesn't interest me.

I'll hold off and see what the review and players opinions say about the single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Since when did "CoD-like" become such a bad thing? I mean up until MW if you were compared to the franchise it was a damn good thing but what changed? I mean, the only thing that I can see (and I'll admit it's a big one) is the perk system...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

gizmo wrote: »
    Since when did "CoD-like" become such a bad thing? I mean up until MW if you were compared to the franchise it was a damn good thing but what changed? I mean, the only thing that I can see (and I'll admit it's a big one) is the perk system...
    The point is, if they wanted something COD-like, they would go play COD. Crysis should be a different experience than that. And I hope it is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Personally I hate what CoD has become. The single player campaign, which has always been strong, turned into utter muck.

The MP side of it is no fun at all compared to the likes of TF2. Constant levelling and camping for kill-streaks ruins it for me. Not to mention the hosting system. CoD is the McDonalds of video gaming.

The point is, if they wanted something COD-like, they would go play COD. Crysis should be a different experience than that. And I hope it is.
    But what is "CoD-like" these days? As I said, the only distinctive thing it has is stupidly overpowered perks, every other facet of gameplay has just been lifted from other games in the genre. The levelling, and what it does to people's play-style is also an issue but again, other games have this too.

Note: I'm not defending it in the slightest, I'm just slightly confused as to how and why people are making the comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Not sure. Maybe its how consolized it is now

• Advertisement

Not sure. Maybe its how consolized it is now
    You're just being deliberately obtuse. :D

Take MW1 and MW2 (I'm ignoring BLOPS as I haven't played it), now outside of the horribly unbalanced perks/killstreaks how is the latter more consolised than the former?

No dedicated servers
    No console
    3hr single player
    No prone.
    DirectX 9
    Low quality textures
    Pay for map packs
    Angry kiddies shouting abuse

There's not a lot to like in MW2.
    Crysis 2 looks and feels a lot like MW2. Anyone remember an image doing the rounds a while ago illustrating what was wrong with modern shooters? It basically was screen shots from a range of games, CoD Killzone etc that showed grey or brown environments and a gun with holographic sight.

Finally got a right rip at then MP Demo and My first impressions are that it looks terrible, the bloom to cover up the shíte graphics reminds me of FEAR 2 and hurts my eyes. FOV is absolutely horrible. Aim Assistance, WTF? And that press start to begin just annoys Me, its a shítty console game through and through. Not buying

5uspect wrote: »
    No dedicated servers
    No console
    3hr single player
    No prone.
    DirectX 9
    Low quality textures
    Pay for map packs
    Angry kiddies shouting abuse
    Some of those points are pretty valid (namely the dropping of dedicated servers and the dev console) but I'm confused as to what you mean with some of the others.

DirectX 9, for instance, was used in both versions. How is that a valid point with regards the consolisation of the game?

Low quality textures? I didn't think MW2 had particularly low quality textures on the PC at all.

Pay for map packs? We should have to pay for (official) map packs, just not as much and we should be given the option of using our own. I do see the problem in the latter point though as there'd be nothing to stop someone just ripping off one of the paid maps. :(

Angry kiddies shouting abuse? Ah now, that's not consoliation, that's just one of the pitfalls of shipping a console with a mic. :D
    Finally got a right rip at then MP Demo and My first impressions are that it looks terrible, the bloom to cover up the shíte graphics reminds me of FEAR 2 and hurts my eyes. FOV is absolutely horrible. Aim Assistance, WTF? And that press start to begin just annoys Me, its a shítty console game through and through. Not buying
    I assume you're playing the console version because all the footage I've seen of the PC version running on a machine along the lines of yours has been fantastic. :confused:

I assume you're playing the console version because all the footage I've seen of the PC version running on a machine along the lines of yours has been fantastic. :confused:

Of the MP demo or the leaked SP? theres a huge difference, SP looks lots better but if its not getting dx11 from the get go, I'm not buying. MP demo looks nothing like that, lots of blur and no graphics options and what I said above.

The MP system is totally like a console. You have to wait for a certain number of people to join the lobby, and once the map ends, you go back to the lobby again, revote and wait another minute or 2.

I mean WTF like, there should be a voting menu in game so theres no waiting between the maps, rubbish, half ur time is spent arseing around the lobby instead of actually playing

DirectX 9, for instance, was used in both versions. How is that a valid point with regards the consolisation of the game?

Consoles have kept the market at dx9 level graphics. We've had dx10 and now 11 come out but a lot of devs stick to dx9c because it what the xbox runs. It would have been nice to see it move forward technically.
    Especially since most people now have dx10 capable cards (Steam Hardware Survey).
    Low quality textures? I didn't think MW2 had particularly low quality textures on the PC at all.

The textures were pretty compressed, apart from those on the huge weapons. I see if I can dig up some examples. There's a reason MW2 isn't on many websites system benchmarks.
    Pay for map packs? We should have to pay for (official) map packs, just not as much and we should be given the option of using our own. I do see the problem in the latter point though as there'd be nothing to stop someone just ripping off one of the paid maps. :(
    Maybe I'm spoilt by Valve but Activision have been taking the piss with their pricing.
    Angry kiddies shouting abuse? Ah now, that's not consoliation, that's just one of the pitfalls of shipping a console with a mic. :D

I'd rather be shouted at by angry adults!

I've run it on my i7 920 and GTX275 on Enthusiast out at ~50 fps @ 1680 x 1050. I haven't been impressed. Crysis 1 looks much better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Of the MP demo or the leaked SP? theres a huge difference, SP looks lots better but if its not getting dx11 from the get go, I'm not buying. MP demo looks nothing like that, lots of blur and no graphics options and what I said above.

Hmm, if I were a beting man I would anticipate this "forthcoming announcement" to be official confirmation of the DX11 patch rumours.

It also appears to suggest that the limited graphical options are not simply because it is a demo as some people had been (wishfully?) thinking, but weren't planned for the full version at all, until they started getting a deserved arse kicking in the past few days.
    http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153248p1.html

Offered in the graphic menu tab are options for resolution, fullscreen, v-sync and system spec. The system spec option can be toggled between gamer, advanced and hardcore settings. So the question is, will these more limited options be present in the final version of the game?

"We'll look at whether that's a possibility," said Nathan Camarillo, executive producer at Crytek. Right now Crytek is monitoring fan feedback and will determine later what might be able to change. "When we did the 360 demo, as an example, we looked at all the top line issues that everybody reported. We addressed a very high percentage of those. We will use this opportunity in the same way."

Regarding DirectX 11 support, which would allow for more advanced graphical effects, Camarillo said, "Crysis 2 will support DirectX 11 but we'll talk more about that in the future. There's an announcement coming soon about that."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

So, in all of this stuff about a possible delay for DX11 and the likes, have they even confirmed that there will be DX10 support at all? Or will it just be either DX9 and DX11?

• Advertisement

Isn't CryEngine 3 supposed to be fully cross platform anyway?
    The PC demo could simply be a slightly modded xbox emulation.

I was tempted to preorder a few weeks ago but I'm passing on this unless the reviews redeem it.

Advertisement