Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

So, in all of this stuff about a possible delay for DX11 and the likes, have they even confirmed that there will be DX10 support at all? Or will it just be either DX9 and DX11?

Read before that they weren't bothering with dx10, dx10 is dead, all new gpu's are dx11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Read before that they weren't bothering with dx10, dx10 is dead, all new gpu's are dx11
    if so, link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

In the leak the editor showed something like, low / ps3 / xbox360 / medium / high / very high

Nvidias benchmark review of the "game" showed much lower fps than I was getting with my 460 in the beta

if so, link?

Ever heard of google?

if so, link?

No idea where I read it, but supporting dx10 would be a complete waste of time and money IMO, when consoles only do dx9 and modern pc's do dx11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

nuxxx wrote: »
    Ever heard of google?
    I have. Thanks for your input.

The main reason why I asked for a link to where he read that, was because I couldn't find it myself. Yes, yes, I even tried Google.
    As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been mention of DX10 support, hence why I asked the question.

Here's a stat from the Steam Survey that might surprise you.
    hws_graph_pc_dx.gif

Just because it was a flop, doesn't mean that it couldn't/shouldn't be catered for. There is demand for it.

I apoligise, in a grumpy mood today

fwiw there's dx10 dll files in the leaked beta

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have. Thanks for your input.

The main reason why I asked for a link to where he read that, was because I couldn't find it myself. Yes, yes, I even tried Google.
    As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been mention of DX10 support, hence why I asked the question.

Here's a stat from the Steam Survey that might surprise you.
    hws_graph_pc_dx.gif

Just because it was a flop, doesn't mean that it couldn't/shouldn't be catered for. There is demand for it.

To the best of my (limited) graphical knowledge, the reason DX10 is not mentioned much nowadays is that the Direct 3D 11 runtime can run on DX10 hardware without much (if any) any additional coding required. So by default a DX11 game is fully DX10 enabled (It is a complete subset of DX 11).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

marco_polo wrote: »
    To the best of my limited graphical knowledge, the reason DX10 is not mentioned much nowadays is that the Direct 3D 11 runtime can run on DX10 hardware without much (if any) any additional coding required. So by default a DX11 game is fully DX10 enabled (It is a complete subset of DX 11).

D3D11 is a superset of D3D 10/10.1

D3D11 really adds very little to 10.1. Most of DX11 features were already present in DX10/10.1 cards, such as tesselation.

From what I understand, Dx11 / D3D11 will run on any card from DX9 up - however it will only expose features to the hardware, that the hardware is capable of. So CryEngine 2 for instance, being a DX11 engine, can run in DX9 'mode' sort of, by only exposing dx9 features to hardware capable of it, then dx10 features to hardware capable of that and so on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

D3D11 really adds very little to 10.1. Most of DX11 features were already present in DX10/10.1 cards, such as tesselation.

From what I understand, Dx11 / D3D11 will run on any card from DX9 up - however it will only expose features to the hardware, that the hardware is capable of. So CryEngine 2 for instance, being a DX11 engine, can run in DX9 'mode' sort of, by only exposing dx9 features to hardware capable of it, then dx10 features to hardware capable of that and so on.

This is what I meant, except I didn't think the backwards compatability extended back as far as DX 9? (I honestly have have no idea)

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    This is what I meant, except I didn't think the backwards compatability extended back as far as DX 9? (I honestly have have no idea)

It does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm passing on this unless the reviews redeem it.

dont hold your breath

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That's not completely true unfortunately, the only tessellation found in GPUs pre-DX11 was the ATi proprietary solution found in the R600 family of cards. The multi-core rendering support added to the API in DX11 works on down-level hardware so it should be interesting to see if Crytek implemented it. The rest of the above is right though, although I'd imagine they haven't implemented three distinct code-paths for each of the DX iterations, more likely one for DX9 and DX11.

gizmo wrote: »
    That's not completely true unfortunately, the only tessellation found in GPUs pre-DX11 was the ATi proprietary solution found in the R600 family of cards. The multi-core rendering support added to the API in DX11 works on down-level hardware so it should be interesting to see if Crytek implemented it. The rest of the above is right though, although I'd imagine they haven't implemented three distinct code-paths for each of the DX iterations, more likely one for DX9 and DX11.

I never said 'all' cards could support tessellation, I merely used it as an example!

4xAA for instance, is supported by nearly all cards, and is a requirement for DX10.1.

Most DX10 hardware (G80 and up anyway from NV) supports Compute shaders - only through DX11 API, but thats another example of hardware that isn't classed as DX11, supporting a DX11 feature.

So I would imagine the engine is DX11, but if the DX9 only rumour is true, it will only expose DX9 level features to hardware, until they patch whatever bug is preventing them allowing DX10 and above level features.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Don't want to hijack the thread here but does anyone know if there's a better offer on pre-order than play.com's €33.99 + free delivery?

by the way I've been playing the mp demo and i think it's pretty cool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Downloaded the demo but the stupid thing refuses to let me make an account to play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Dcully wrote: »
    Downloaded the demo but the stupid thing refuses to let me make an account to play.

try going directly to gamespy.com and create an account there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got it sorted, forgot i had an ancient gamespy account.
    Managed to get in game set graphics to hardcore system,looks superb and great performance really smooth.
    For the life of me i cant get any sound working.
    Terrible options, cannot select sound device etc.

You using a usb headset? afaik theres no support for them :/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nuxxx wrote: »
    You using a usb headset? afaik theres no support for them :/
    and yet mine worked without incident. You know despite the fact that Maximum Armor though kills my Bass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Got the MP demo in here on Xbox 360 last week.

Pretty decent online, its got some serious draw distance and glitches though, so I dont think its ready for launch yet, like, some serious issues.

Can't say it looks too stunning, granted its Xbox and maybe dummed down, it looks average in terms of big fps titles.

Way too much stealth going on, getting jibbed by invisible snipers a mile away isnt really fun.

There is some good elements to it, but I wouldnt cream myself straight away saying it was the best multiplayer experience I've had, but it is a decent skin for a casual play.

I'd be interested to see what its like on PC. I never bothered with Crysis on the PC or the expansion, might have a look at them since they are on the cheap and give them a run through.

Will probably give this one a miss though till later on in its shelf life.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just played the demo, ran like a dream on my rig.

e8400, 4GB, 9800GTX+

I was surprised how well it ran on full hd.

Still got my ass handed to me though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

jayteecork wrote: »
    Just played the demo, ran like a dream on my rig.

e8400, 4GB, 9800GTX+

I was surprised how well it ran on full hd.

Still got my ass handed to me though.

That's probably because everyone has aim assist on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

5uspect wrote: »
    That's probably because everyone has aim assist on.

Why the hell does a pc game got aim assist?

Unless the single player is amazing, I think I'll wait for a steam sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Don't want to hijack the thread here but does anyone know if there's a better offer on pre-order than play.com's €33.99 + free delivery?

Have mine pre-ordered on zavvi, but not too sure if they offer free postage to Ireland
    Perhaps check out the invisible hand browser plugin or gamestracker.com

Why the hell does a pc game got aim assist?

Shoddy console port, its also got press start to begin, fcukin hate that shít.

No more cash from me Crytek, I did buy Far Cry, Crysis and Warhead, in fact I've 2 legit copies of Crysis, but no more

Watching the young fella play this last nite opened my eyes to how unbalanced and how poor the MP of this game really is. We're going to see everyone as sniper on high levels with thermal vision and autoaim.
    Also, watching someone else play makes it easier to take note of the graphics, which are terrible, shaded with bloom to cover the jaggies, like a console game. Poor textures, no destructive environments, small compressed maps.
    As a pc gamer its time to say Bye, Bye, Crytek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yep, just cancelled my pre-order
    Might still pick it up when it inevitably drops to £15 on Amazon a few weeks after release mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Game runs smooth because they developed an xbox 360 multiplayer demo using directX 9 and Aim assist, and when PC Gamers asked for a demo they simply did some porting of this existing demo over to PC. So there you have a PC Demo which runs in DX9 only and has Aim Assist. It's disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Shoddy console port, its also got press start to begin, fcukin hate that shít.

No more cash from me Crytek, I did buy Far Cry, Crysis and Warhead, in fact I've 2 legit copies of Crysis, but no more

Watching the young fella play this last nite opened my eyes to how unbalanced and how poor the MP of this game really is. We're going to see everyone as sniper on high levels with thermal vision and autoaim.
    Also, watching someone else play makes it easier to take note of the graphics, which are terrible, shaded with bloom to cover the jaggies, like a console game. Poor textures, no destructive environments, small compressed maps.
    As a pc gamer its time to say Bye, Bye, Crytek
    If you're going to limit the games you play to those which have destructive environments then you're going to be reduced to what, 2 maybe 3 games out there?

And as I asked before, how come you're one of the very few people who keep harping on about how bad the graphics are? I don't have my gaming rig with me at the moment unfortunately but I'd love to see some screenshots given our rigs are quite similar as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Overheal wrote: »
    Game runs smooth because they developed an xbox 360 multiplayer demo using directX 9 and Aim assist, and when PC Gamers asked for a demo they simply did some porting of this existing demo over to PC. So there you have a PC Demo which runs in DX9 only and has Aim Assist. It's disappoint.

the full game has aim assist, its not just a demo thing

Advertisement