Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pessure treated railway sleepers lifespan??

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at getting some of the new 8 feet long pressure treated railway sleepers from a gardening centre.

Can I ask how long they will last for,out in a garden and with regards the elements??

5 years,10 years,a lifetime perhaps??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Good quality PT Pine sleepers should last 20-25 years or more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Good quality PT Pine sleepers should last 20-25 years or more.

Great,just what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

If you are going to cut them a liberal application of preservative should be applied to the cut face as the pressure treatment does not go to the core of the wood.

Antiquo wrote: »
    If you are going to cut them a liberal application of preservative should be applied to the cut face as the pressure treatment does not go to the core of the wood.

Thanks,yep,they will be getting cut up for a nice trendy front garden design.:)

Thanks for the help folks,managed to get 7 8 foot long x 8 inch high x 4 inch deep pressure treated sleepers for 15 euro a pop.:)

Most places wanted between 20 -24 euro a sleeper.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Paddy could you PM me where you got those sleepers please

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Paddy, could you do likewise for me please.That is a much better price than I've been quoted up to now.Thanks

I got the sleepers from a DIY shop in Baldoyle at that low once off price,to sell them on,they are sold out now.Price is now gone back up to 19 euro each.

Newtown Building Supplies in Coolock are selling them new for 19 euro each too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kamathm

Hi folks,

I too am searching for timber sleepers for bldg raised beds....can anyone suggest where these can be sourced at reasonable price?
    thnx!

kamathm wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I too am searching for timber sleepers for bldg raised beds....can anyone suggest where these can be sourced at reasonable price?
    thnx!

You could try reading the posts,as theres a few clues in there somewhere.Just as thought.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I know this is an old post, coincidentally, i bought my sleepers from a supplier in dublin 13 also - Breslin Manufacturing, The sleeper are the standard 2.4m and were €20 each. Delivery was €10 locally.

My question is: I am going to need to cut some of the sleepers. What product is best for sealing the newly cut areas?

Going to post this question in the main forum also as this is an old thread.

Thanks

Advertisement