Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pubs that charge for miwadi

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I was in a pub on the Southside last night with a few mates and I was surprised that they not only charged for the miwadi (designated driver), but they charged 1.60.
    is this just south side or all over dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

They do this to a designated driver and then wonder why their business is dropping off. Is it greed or just plain stupidity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

A lot of pubs don't charge for it, but the ones that do, charge for a dash or maybe 2 dash's for a pint. all depends on the discretion of the pub or even the discretion of the barman who serves it .

I work in a pub in D4 myself and 90% of the time i wont charge for it . the other 10% i only charge because someone wants to come into the pub and watch a match for free and drink for free.

one thing i wanna know is why do people always refer to it as miwadi??
    its never finches or kia-ora or any other concentrated juice drink

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

chughes wrote: »
    They do this to a designated driver and then wonder why their business is dropping off. Is it greed or just plain stupidity ?

a lot of pubs give the impression that they could not give a toss. the recession has yet to hit parts of Dublin. BTW 4.60 for a Guinness is a pisstake, but still better than 6 euro in temple bar.

miwadi is the company that makes the squash. a dash in a pint glass of water should not be that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carlosvan

i think its a outrage that pubs charge for this but there has to be comman sense aswell, i saw a thread onm here the other day where a guy wanted free food when a match was on and wanted free miwadi, for every good person theres always a few chancers,just sorting them out is at the bar staffs discresion!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its a disgrace, i got charged 2.5e one night for a pint of blackcurrent.

was told that just because i was drinking that the staff wouldnt have to be paid, light heating cleaning etc. :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Why shouldn't they charge for it? €1.60 is a bit expensive, they've nearly made their money back already, but they did pay to stock it. If we started wanting free cordial why not free tea, coffee etc.?

I've always paid for my cordial, be it as a mixer with vodka or when I was drinking pints of the stuff while on dd duty, and always thought it was fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Btw peeps, most pubs and clubs I've worked in the tap water was a feed from the water tank and not mains water!.. I'd be very reluctant to go drinking water in a pub, seriously.

As for charging for a miwadi - tough, stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I think it's just bad business sense not to look after designated drivers.

In our groups it's usually the driver who decides where to go, for the sake of being fair. Places that serve tea and coffee even in the late evening are always chosen...not many people like drinking glass after glass of coke and it's too expensive anyway.

The tea has often been given for free, which has been appreciated.

Look after the designated drivers and for the sake of a teabag and some hot water they'll happily deliver a car full of drinkers to your pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

byrner88 wrote: »

I work in a pub in D4 myself and 90% of the time i wont charge for it . the other 10% i only charge because someone wants to come into the pub and watch a match for free and drink for free.
    exact policy in my local-get the first for free than think its 1.80 a pint.More often than not dont pay at all but would always make sure I'd buy nuts or crisps.Dont want to come across as a stingy mofo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not very cordial, I must admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Btw peeps, most pubs and clubs I've worked in the tap water was a feed from the water tank and not mains water!.. I'd be very reluctant to go drinking water in a pub, seriously.
    Pubs are likely to have a fresh water tank as well as a storage tank for other water.

Otherwise, they would have to close for even short water cut-off periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ki ki wrote: »
    Why shouldn't they charge for it? €1.60 is a bit expensive, they've nearly made their money back already, but they did pay to stock it. If we started wanting free cordial why not free tea, coffee etc.?

I've always paid for my cordial, be it as a mixer with vodka or when I was drinking pints of the stuff while on dd duty, and always thought it was fair enough.

if you travel around you will find that very few places actually charge. some places actually offer free coke to the designated driver. its time to start giving something back to the customers. Southside prices are unrealistic and they make a significant profit on the alcoholic beverages they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The Graduate in Killiney varies between 20c and €2 for a pint of blackcurrent, nearly always €2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Sure, it would be nice to get it for free, I've just never expected it.

Maybe it's from my time spent working in a pub where the owner wouldn't allow us put a slice of lemon in a glass of tap water :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't mind paying for it, just not with the pub's excessive mark-up. If the margin for a pint of beer is x%, then the margin for a miwadi or a coke should be x% too, not 10 times x% or whatever it seems to be when they charge you €2.50 or whatever for a pint of blackcurrent.

Advertisement