Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture in rental property - want to replace it with my own

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I moved into a house with two friends about 3 weeks ago. When we arrived there was only one, tiny two seater sofa in the dining room - the agent said that the landlord would get us two sofas. A week on, there were no signs of the sofas so we asked the agent about this. She told us to contact the landlord directly which we did. He said two sofas were on their way, would be delivered the next day. Then, he said there was a problem with delivery and then said he was worried the sofas wouldn't fit through the front door. He then suggested we maybe buy some sofas and he reimburse us, but he would get back to us on that. Then we heard nothing until today when he rang to say that the sofas would arrive this afternoon.

When they did, I nearly cried. They are hideous, damp, grubby, uncomfortable and way too big for the room. He said he got them at a hotel sale and that they are very good quality. He also said to put throws on them when I mentioned that they were stained. I really don't want them, and am quite happy at this stage to buy my own sofas out of my own money.
    Thing is, I'm a bit worried about telling him this - I have not met him yet but he plans to call around tomorrow. I have not had a chance to tell him yet that I don't want the sofas. Am I being unreasonable? He had some guys deliver them and if I tell him I don't want them, he'll have to organise delivery again (although I wouldn't object to paying for them to be taken away). I don't want to get off to a bad start with him either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

mosi wrote: »
    I moved into a house with two friends about 3 weeks ago. When we arrived there was only one, tiny two seater sofa in the dining room - the agent said that the landlord would get us two sofas. A week on, there were no signs of the sofas so we asked the agent about this. She told us to contact the landlord directly which we did. He said two sofas were on their way, would be delivered the next day. Then, he said there was a problem with delivery and then said he was worried the sofas wouldn't fit through the front door. He then suggested we maybe buy some sofas and he reimburse us, but he would get back to us on that. Then we heard nothing until today when he rang to say that the sofas would arrive this afternoon.

When they did, I nearly cried. They are hideous, damp, grubby, uncomfortable and way too big for the room. He said he got them at a hotel sale and that they are very good quality. He also said to put throws on them when I mentioned that they were stained. I really don't want them, and am quite happy at this stage to buy my own sofas out of my own money.
    Thing is, I'm a bit worried about telling him this - I have not met him yet but he plans to call around tomorrow. I have not had a chance to tell him yet that I don't want the sofas. Am I being unreasonable? He had some guys deliver them and if I tell him I don't want them, he'll have to organise delivery again (although I wouldn't object to paying for them to be taken away). I don't want to get off to a bad start with him either.

I think it'd be reasonable to have cleaned the sofas, or at the very least, ask him to store the sofas as you don't like or want them.

Advertisement