Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite pub in Sligo

Options
  • 12-02-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been done before but anyway, similiar to the restaurant one. What's your favourite one and why?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

McLaughlins - Great pint of Guinness and friendly atmosphere and loads of photos from down through the years covering the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Love a quiet pint in McLaughlin's. I like Fiddlers or The Belfry if watching a match and getting food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

shennanigans because they have good specials much cheaper than mc hughs fiddlers and the belfry

And full of underage ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thewhitepele

Connollys , great Guinness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Love a quiet pint in McLaughlin's. I like Fiddlers or The Belfry if watching a match and getting food.

Not a fan anymore, and I used to frequent the place a LOT!. The lady owner has become very snobbish in the last year or two.

I like Kennedys. Nice bar, warm, nice pint and the music is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I love going to the Wednesday night sessions in Shoot the Crows, some of the staff could do with a few lessons in people skills 101. But it's a nice bar.

I love Hargadons too. Not really mad about big pubs or nightclubs, but I loved the Clarence when it first opened and did lots of live gigs. Haven't been in over a year now though.

Not a fan anymore, and I used to frequent the place a LOT!. The lady owner has become very snobbish in the last year or two.

I like Kennedys. Nice bar, warm, nice pint and the music is good.

McLaughlin's owner is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

maybe a bit out of left field but the irish house was always a favourite of mine...town meets county:)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Big fan of McLoughlins, Hargadons and Foleys myself. Prefer a quiet pub where ya can have a chat and a good pint, rather than a noisy one. Even better if there's a few characters that frequent the place.
    dardevle wrote: »

maybe a bit out of left field but the irish house was always a favourite of mine...town meets county:)

Was never actually in there but a friend of mine once told me a few friends of his went in and were kind of intimidated into leaving, along the lines of that they must be in the wrong place.

Is it a dodgy pub or was this just weird?

• Advertisement

re:Irish house

The layout of the place is not what you would say typical pub style... its very narrow and long(runs from O'connell st right through to Wine st carpark) and apart from a skylight in the middle,there are no windows, so i
    can see how some people might be a bit intimidated on a first visit...but the staff are first class and the clintele are just that mix of Townies and country folk that you don't often see in a town centre pub much anymore.....

the "troubadour" in High St is another fav of mine - and i will always have a longing for the old days of Hennigans bar on Wine st (the Terry years):)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Forgot about Fureys aswell, great pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I like McGarrigles, Hargadons and the Garavogue. Shenanigans for a session as it's cheap and I've enjoyed Kennedy's the last time I was in.

I've never got the appeal of McHughs, I find it's loud and has an annoying layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Garvouge, The Belfry, and 'the local'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Interestingly enough, (until recent years) the Lonely Planet Travel Guide had Harry's Bar and Ellens Pub as the only 2 recommended pubs in County Sligo.....for sure, a certain slice of Irish life can be experienced in the former, and in my own experience I've always found Harrys a friendly place, only ever used it rarely but to be fair, aint been there in many years.

For a family atmosphere, The Strand Bar is good. All depends what you're judging things on...Connollys is a real pub...Hargadons on a good night used to be one great experience, will those days ever come back?

Some say that "there are no bad pubs, its just that some are better than others"...

Cant stand any pub when there is either Rugby or Golf on...turn around and back out the door time...alcohol just isnt that important in that scenario...

Ok you've had my waffle, for a real pub, pre kids, my vote goes to:

Connollys...I wish I was there...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭RummyMc

McCullagh's Bar, social staff and regulars! and a lovely pint of Guinness to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

You dont work there by any chance Rummy do you? But I must admit solid pub and love a game of pool upstairs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jazyguy wrote: »
    You dont work there by any chance Rummy do you? But I must admit solid pub and love a game of pool upstairs.

Yeah had many a good night there myself. Those couches upstairs are almost too comfy at times. Quality spot. Some of the lads I know say the Guinness in there is great, wouldn't know myself as I can't stand the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭LowOdour

has to be furey's for me. Liked kennedy's the one time i was in there. No mention yet of the village inn (cartron)!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Have to say Connollys is my favourite, serious pub. Real old school!

Other notable mentions would be The Strand especially on a summer's day, love it after the warriors even if it is a bit packed.

Mc Hughs and The Belfry are great pubs to start off the night in town and The Garavogue has always been a good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

McHughs is the best pub in town, especially upstairs with a few friends and the craic is good. Never got a bad pint in there. Also like Fiddlers, kinda cosy and lovely when the xmas decorations are up. Pints are never the best there but never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭RummyMc

Yes I have to admt I do work there but I did honestly mean what I said about it.
    There and Furey's would be my two locals!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

No worries at all, if I introduce myself next night im in will I get a free pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

irish-stew wrote: »
    Garvouge, The Belfry, and 'the local'.

'The Local' eh? Can't say I've heard of that one
    RummyMc wrote: »
    McCullagh's Bar, social staff and regulars! and a lovely pint of Guinness to finish.

Where's this?

Where's this?

that would be "Feehilys" on the corner ( of old:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Hargadons, Connollys, Kennedys, Garavogue. That order.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Can't limit myself to one favourite, so in no particular order, Fureys, Hargadons, Shoots, Garavogue, The Strand, and Harry's in Rosses Point. Places with mostly decent service*, great music, and usually a nice crowd. I prefer pubs where you can have the craic with whoever you're out with without having to try and raise your voice above 120 db just to be heard.

Also, random acts of kindness by bar staff are also nice, witnessed one of the above bars letting people bring in pizza one night when they were starving & the place had finished doing food. And personally speaking, when a friend passed away recently, some of the bar staff in Fureys & Shoots were just absolute gents...honestly can't thank them enough for their kindness over those few days...if any of them are reading this, thank you so much..xx

although I wouldn't say anywhere in sligo is 100% great with service all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

Harry's Bar no contest, €2.80 for the pint of Guinness now, the only pub left in town where there is a bit of life during the day, if you are a poser or a redneck stay out, but for a serious pinter it's the only place to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Stevedore wrote: »
    Harry's Bar no contest, €2.80 for the pint of Guinness now, the only pub left in town where there is a bit of life during the day, if you are a poser or a redneck stay out, but for a serious pinter it's the only place to be

always looks like its full of drunks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Stevedore wrote: »

It's a great spot for an after-hours carry-out, a few late pints or mainly if you are a bit too fond of the sauce.

I find the place to be a bit depressing during the day tbh.

Advertisement