Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite pub in Sligo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I find the place to be a bit depressing during the day tbh.

I always felt like I was running the gauntlet past that place in my school days. A lot of leering and smart remarks from the men there when they'd see me in my uniform. It doesn't give off a very nice vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Sorry to hear about that, its completely unacceptable...

Had similar experience with another pub (not Harrys), used to walk the kids past on a Sunday morning/early afternoon and the smoking brigade would be outside en masse, swearing, spitting and stuff...not a nice experience.

I agree with the smoking ban, but that (smoking outside pubs) was one of its more unsavoury side effects...

Truley wrote: »
    I always felt like I was running the gauntlet past that place in my school days. A lot of leering and smart remarks from the men there when they'd see me in my uniform. It doesn't give off a very nice vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

sligopark wrote: »
    always looks like its full of drunks...

Regarding Harrys Bar.....Well its a Fugging pub FFS..... God be with the days when all the pubs were full of drunks... That was the whole idea of them. Now we got politically correct pubs, where ya have to toe the line and shut up. and dont ever dare to break into a sound... ya got to wear a bloody wedding suit to get into them...

Most of the pubs in Sligo are dead.. Dead Dead dead.. More life in the cemetry or a Fianna Fail post election celebration party.. Now if ya want an athmosphere and you can take the rough with the smooth. Harry's Bar is your only place.... Always a crowd sometimes small, sometimes big. The price keeps changing during the day. But 3 euros will be enough to get any drink. Where else in ireland will ya get that ?....
    The clientle in Harrys is "mixed"... Ladies ,Gents, Educated, Streetwise, Downright "Da - Da's. There all here. Alchos, Horsey men,ex cops, ex priests,businness men,workers, musicians, tipsters with the tips for every race.. Tappers, ( youd need to be careful going to the toilet, as you might be approached by certain people with some very sad and unbelievable stories about their lack of funds. But some of the stories are well worth the price of a couple of pints). Its the one pub that I know where youd never be thirsty. Theres more generous people there who see no value in the price of a few pints... You only have to axe.... Harry's is the spot He's your only man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Anyone got a recommendation for a pub to watch the chelsea manu match that won't be full of poxy students??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Anyone got a recommendation for a pub to watch the chelsea manu match that won't be full of poxy students??

harrys
    i mean foley's:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

proon4 wrote: »
    Most of the pubs in Sligo are dead.. Dead Dead dead.. More life in the cemetry or a Fianna Fail post election celebration party.. Now if ya want an athmosphere and you can take the rough with the smooth. Harry's Bar is your only place.... Always a crowd sometimes small, sometimes big. The price keeps changing during the day. But 3 euros will be enough to get any drink. Where else in ireland will ya get that ?....
    The clientle in Harrys is "mixed"... Ladies ,Gents, Educated, Streetwise, Downright "Da - Da's. There all here. Alchos, Horsey men,ex cops, ex priests,businness men,workers, musicians, tipsters with the tips for every race.. Tappers, ( youd need to be careful going to the toilet, as you might be approached by certain people with some very sad and unbelievable stories about their lack of funds. But some of the stories are well worth the price of a couple of pints). Its the one pub that I know where youd never be thirsty. Theres more generous people there who see no value in the price of a few pints... You only have to axe.... Harry's is the spot He's your only man

You must be kidding. Having worked on Market Street you see the clientel and generally not what you described,or some of them.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    You must be kidding. Having worked on Market Street you see the clientel and generally not what you described,or some of them.

You need to go inside to meet these colourful characters. Sit down have a pint and observe. Theres a klondyke of characters in there. Just have an open mind, open eye ,open ear and of course an open wallet.. (Well you get nothing for nothing in this life) Cheers!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

proon4 wrote: »
    Tappers, ( youd need to be careful going to the toilet, as you might be approached by certain people with some very sad and unbelievable stories about their lack of funds. But some of the stories are well worth the price of a couple of pints).

Call me a snob, but having to sit and drink with people who are going to harrass me for money doesn't really appeal to me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Must be great tipsters in there as it's the same crew that I see going in and out of the place every day. Probably on the scratcher and supplementing it on horsey bets (why else would there be 4 bookies within 100 metres of the place..... scratch that Celtic is now closed). Fair play to them I say. Agree with some great characters in the place but wouldn't be telling them my life story :)

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    Must be great tipsters in there as it's the same crew that I see going in and out of the place every day. Probably on the scratcher and supplementing it on horsey bets (why else would there be 4 bookies within 100 metres of the place..... scratch that Celtic is now closed). Fair play to them I say. Agree with some great characters in the place but wouldn't be telling them my life story :)

You have to earn the right to tell your life story....Takes a while and you must be prepared to share more than your life story..... And anyway where else in Sligo is there any life in a pub before 10;30 at night?.... God be with the good days...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Truley wrote: »
    Call me a snob, but having to sit and drink with people who are going to harrass me for money doesn't really appeal to me :o
    :D Something makes me think Harry's Bar isn't going to win too many new customers from this forum!

Wester wrote: »
    :D Something makes me think Harry's Bar isn't going to win too many new customers from this forum!

Correct, Wester, but I dont think the proprieter would be too bothered about it...yet at the same time...Harry's is still one of the very few County Sligo pubs to be listed in the Lonely Planet Guide, along with Ellens in Maughearow, (not listed in recent years tho..).

Y'know, I think most pubs become "not nice places" if you are in them too often. Use sparingly...

I took a load of English lads into Harrys on my "sort of" stag night ( I dont do stag do's, well not mine anyways, if you follow..:D)..the guys were all jaw dropped, they loved it in there, they were made very welcome by everyone in there, they had a great time..we had a few pints, the lads were chatting away with the regulars and then we moved on...we didnt get that sort of welcome, (or anything close), from the rest of the pubs in town,...well there you go...cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I took a load of English lads into Harrys on my "sort of" stag night ( I dont do stag do's, well not mine anyways, if you follow..:D)..the guys were all jaw dropped, they loved it in there, they were made very welcome by everyone in there, they had a great time..we had a few pints, the lads were chatting away with the regulars and then we moved on...we didnt get that sort of welcome, (or anything close), from the rest of the pubs in town,...well there you go...cheers!

Good to hear, don't get me wrong, I've dropped in there the odd time over the years for a pint and found it grand: some real characters about, and not many places like it left, but it wouldn't be for everyone.

Wester wrote: »
    Good to hear, don't get me wrong, I've dropped in there the odd time over the years for a pint and found it grand: some real characters about, and not many places like it left, but it wouldn't be for everyone.

is'nt that the truth..agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 37 vinnyme

Correct, Wester, but I dont think the proprieter would be too bothered about it...yet at the same time...Harry's is still one of the very few County Sligo pubs to be listed in the Lonely Planet Guide, along with Ellens in Maughearow, (not listed in recent years tho..).

Y'know, I think most pubs become "not nice places" if you are in them too often. Use sparingly...

Are you for real? Harrys is the biggest sh1thole in town, full of druggies and serial drunks. And as for the lonely planet reference to Harrys bar they talk about harrys bar in Rosses point not the dive on high street.

vinnyme wrote: »
    Are you for real? Harrys is the biggest sh1thole in town, full of druggies and serial drunks. And as for the lonely planet reference to Harrys bar they talk about harrys bar in Rosses point not the dive on high street.

Yes 4 real Vinnyme....it was def Harry's on the High Street that was listed circa 2000....I dont use Harrys myself, but I know a lot that do on occasions, and they are neither druggies or serial drunks....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Anyone know why the crozon inn has been closed the last few days?

Sign on the door said due to circumstances beyond their control they would reopen on friday 4th of March but no sign yet.

Were they raided or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Anyone know why the crozon inn has been closed the last few days?

Sign on the door said due to circumstances beyond their control they would reopen on friday 4th of March but no sign yet.

Were they raided or something?

was losing money so the owners pulled the plug

Advertisement