Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

courses for electricians

Options
  • 12-02-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

hi all im just wondering if anybody agrees with me if it would be a good idea to start a new thread to recommend some long, short, part time and full time courses for electricians that are unemployed at the moment.

im thinking of courses like

MEWP training, basic first aid, mobile scaffolding errection etc

dt010 electrical services engineering full time

dt078 electrical services engineering part time.

its more or less to give lads and lasses ideas of things they could complete that would burn time but also be benificial to their employment opportunities.

id like to hear peoples opinions on this.

cheers stephen:D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

dt010 electrical services engineering full time

dt078 electrical services engineering part time.

In my opinion this course was a good course to do for a qualified electrician that wanted to get involved in electrical design within a relatively short timeframe (2 years).

From reading the syllabus and talking to DT010 students I can see why this course appears to be the next "logical step" on a career path to many electricians.

I think that the problem now is that there are no longer employment opportunities for graduates from this course due to the collapse of the construction industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

tell me about it, i did it part time for two years while i was working and when i was let go from work, went back for 3rd year full time.

finished up in summer last year and i still cant get a start anywhere as a graduate or as an electrician.

if i could get something solid lined up abroad i would be gone but even friends of mine in canada and aus have been letting me know that jobs are hard to come by over there now

starting to feel really disheartened now, iv studyed pretty much for 6-7 years now and iv nothing to show for it:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

evosteo wrote: »
    tell me about it, i did it part time for two years while i was working and when i was let go from work, went back for 3rd year full time.

finished up in summer last year and i still cant get a start anywhere as a graduate or as an electrician.

if i could get something solid lined up abroad i would be gone but even friends of mine in canada and aus have been letting me know that jobs are hard to come by over there now

starting to feel really disheartened now, iv studyed pretty much for 6-7 years now and iv nothing to show for it:(

Sorry to hear that. Education is never a waste though so you should not feel that it was all for nothing. You should be able to use your experience and qualifications to get advanced entry onto another course that will lead to a good job in a related area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

I was gonna post something like this up. Im a 3rd year apprentice electrician and looking to do a few part time courses to have on my cv and learn a bit more before im qualified. Anyone any advice? I applied for the plc course in DIT but there were not enough numbers for the course to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Del007

m.j.w wrote: »
    I was gonna post something like this up. Im a 3rd year apprentice electrician and looking to do a few part time courses to have on my cv and learn a bit more before im qualified. Anyone any advice? I applied for the plc course in DIT but there were not enough numbers for the course to run.

You're probably better off waiting until after you do your phase 6 before you do that plc course. I did a plc course when I was a 3rd year and to be honest I was fairly lost, most other people on the course were working with plc's whereas it was my first experience with them.

Try to do a course that offers a city and guilds qualification, that's what I'm doing at the moment and hopefully it'll stand to me in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

What course are you doing Del? If you don't mind me asking..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Del007

Wonderwall wrote: »
    What course are you doing Del? If you don't mind me asking..

I'm doing this course, one night per week

http://www.cit.ie/course/CR_EEICC_6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

Sounds like a nice course! I must check if it's available in DIT. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

You're probably better off waiting until after you do your phase 6 before you do that plc course. I did a plc course when I was a 3rd year and to be honest I was fairly lost, most other people on the course were working with plc's whereas it was my first experience with them.

+1

I did the same when i had just finished phase 2, and was lost also. Deffo wait till after phase 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

pieface_ie wrote: »
    +1

I did the same when i had just finished phase 2, and was lost also. Deffo wait till after phase 6!

I agree it may be a bit much for someone with no experience of plc programing to jump at the course but if you did part 1 and and 2 it will stand to you in phase 6 and take a lil pressure of you as you have 2 exams to sit in this. id do it after phase 4

• Advertisement

cheers for the advice lads, just got my letter for phase 4 yesterday. starting in april so will do the course after that, have a bit of knowledge of plc's from work so might not be to bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ryan087

Is any body taking on apprentice electricians any more. Would really love to get a trade but apprenticeships seem so scarce nowadays

ryan087 wrote: »
    Is any body taking on apprentice electricians any more. Would really love to get a trade but apprenticeships seem so scarce nowadays

The project that I am working on has a large well know electrical contractor on it. They are weathering the storm better than most of their competition. Their work is 50/50 electrical/instrumentation, which of me makes it far more interesting.

I was talking to one of their electrical foreman yesterday. He told me that all of their employees have to be very flexible, very hard working and willing to travel (Europe in general and UK in particular). He has been working with them for 8 years without interruption.

In general like many electrical contractors they do not keep on apprentices once they qualify. I don't know if they are recruiting at the moment, but I doubt it. This project is winding up in the next month and they may be struggling to keep the people they have.

I will ask on Monday if they are recruiting people and let you know if they are.

patrick lynches in dublin had an advert there looking for first year apprentices. give them a shout.

Advertisement