Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Guide] How to get open Nat with Three (or any) mobile Broadband for Xbox live

• 12-02-2011 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Ok so I have posted a few threads about this issue and have found a solution!, by pure chance.

How do I know it works? Well Gears Of War 2 will not find any players with a moderate nat type. Before I found out this solution it would not find any players. Now I am in a game within 2>3 Mins.

Here is what I did.

First off my connection settings :

Huawei E122 usb dongle connected to mac.
    Lan cable connected to xbox.
    Internet sharing between the Huawei and lan.

This could/should in theory work with any mobile broadband provider.

So i was sitting waiting hoping that it would find some players (for a good 20mins) so i decided to fire up MSN (via adium on my mac) to kill the boredom, within 2 minutes of doing that i found a full match and was playing with no lag within minutes (your lag will vary, since i live really near to the mast i get 50>70 ping with 4>6mb/s download speed).

I have tested this since and it works every time but only with msn connected.
    Also if you check your xbox live connection status the yellow bar is gone from it. (if you re-run the test however it still reports it)

It should in theory work with any messaging client that uses msn on any operating system. I believe the reason this makes it work is that MSN opens certain ports to function and must be opening the same ports as the xbox requires.

So I am pretty sure this has opened the nat, whatever it has done it has enabled me to play open nat required games online so it's all good.

Please post here if this works for you also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Doesn't work for me ):
    I tried (even downloaded MSN to try). I still (on fable2) cannot join anyones game and they cannot join mine.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zackonmac

I don't have that game to test unfortunately.

Perhaps try a few things. Start xbox connect to xbox live, then start msn.

The only game i have tried this with is Gears 2, but as i said if i look at my connection status the yellow warning triangle is gone.

Maybe adium opens more ports than microsoft messenger? Idk

Also, are you signed in to msn? It won't open any ports if your not signed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

yep..I had created a hotmail when I got the 360. Which I've used to chat from my xbox ... (I dont like to download too much on my pc)
    Maybe it's to do with the dongles..mines an E1 750 .... :/

Did you play with the other players or just see them there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zackonmac

yep..I had created a hotmail when I got the 360. Which I've used to chat from my xbox ... (I dont like to download too much on my pc)
    Maybe it's to do with the dongles..mines an E1 750 .... :/

Did you play with the other players or just see them there?

Hope i can get this working for you.

Yeah i played with other players, im playing a ranked GOW2 match as we speak.

Advertisement