Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Trick - 15/06/11 - Olympia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Excellent ... definately hitting this ... classic band with classic songs. Their Live at the Budokan and Dream Police albums are legendary. Their latest album, The Latest, is brilliant. €33 is a very fair price to see these :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I am delighted about this. I love Cheap Trick so much. Didn't think I'd get to see them. They are such a good band!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I totally want to go now even if it's just to sing along to the one song.... "I want you to want me... I need you to need me...."

This is deadly :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Good band

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Personally, I'm stunned they're playing Dublin again. Don't get me wrong - they're great - but hardly anyone was at their Vicar Street show in 2001. They had to put the tables in to fill out the ground floor, and it was still really obvious that the place was half-empty. Also, Bun E. Carlos isn't touring with them these days, which is a shame.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Also, Bun E. Carlos isn't touring with them these days

"Aint That A Shame" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I reckon it's worth it for surrender alone :p gonna check out more of their stuff though, only have the essential collection

Oh, I can't wait for this now! So close!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Bun E. Carlos isn't touring with them these days, which is a shame.

I believe Rick Nielsen's son is on drums now

I'm going to this one. Looking forward to it. Will try and avoid as many p!ssheads as I can. Might just join them for a change :)

• Advertisement

I've looked at their latest set from setlist.fm. I'm surprised they play "The Flame". That song was written for them by a team of professionals. My favourite song is "So Good To See You" but they definitely won't play it. Looking forward to "Dream Police" and hopefully "High Roller". "Surrender" is decent as well. If they play the hits off "In Color" and "Dream Police", I'll be happy. The past setlists on setlist.fm from this current tour are extremely encouraging

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I've looked at their latest set from setlist.fm. I'm surprised they play "The Flame". That song was written for them by a team of professionals. My favourite song is "So Good To See You" but they definitely won't play it. Looking forward to "Dream Police" and hopefully "High Roller". "Surrender" is decent as well. If they play the hits off "In Color" and "Dream Police", I'll be happy. The past setlists on setlist.fm from this current tour are extremely encouraging

How full would ya say it would be. I'm guessing it will be full enough, lots of Radio ads and posters.

Rick Nielsen is on Radio Nova now! :)

Just back from the gig. It was BRILLIANT. Rick Nielsen is incredible. He is the ultimate showman I have ever seen. Zander struggled on a few of the high notes but that is to be expected for a 58 year old. I loved his Dream Police costume. Overall an amazing concert. 90 minutes of hits. I also thought it was the happiest crowd I have ever been in the middle of. All in all a joyous celebration !

CiaranK wrote: »
    How full would ya say it would be. I'm guessing it will be full enough, lots of Radio ads and posters.

It was pretty jammers ! Did you enjoy it Ciaran ?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

excellent show. nielsen is some showman. got a few picks too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Excellent gig, really enjoyed it. Very chilled crowd and all the hits (with the exception of The Flame, funnily enough). Rick Nielsen is still a headcase! Robin Zander still has a set of pipes on him, too.

Favour to ask *looks in ned's direction initially :D *, I got a pick but when I got home I couldn't find it in my pocket. If anyone got a couple and can bear to part with one, I'd be eternally grateful (and I'll post my pic of Mr. Nielsen playing his five-necked guitar as a thank-you!)

blastman wrote: »
    Robin Zander still has a set of pipes on him, too.

I thought he REALLY struggled on "Tonight It's You". It has too high an octave range for someone of his age to be able to pull it off still. "Looking Out For No 1" had one or two toe curling moments in it too. He did fairly well on everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

excellent show. nielsen is some showman. got a few picks too.:)

How could you not get a few picks ;-)
    I've never seen anything like that, and never seen anyone able to hit the seats upstairs with ease throwing them, when he finished throwing out a full mic stand of them I was watching Zander, turned back and there he's another mic stand full of them :D class

really enjoyed the gig, was slightly upset they didn't do The Flame but you can't have everything, and was brilliant to meet Jane Seymour, lovely woman ;)

NIBBS wrote: »
    and was brilliant to meet Jane Seymour, lovely woman ;)
    The actress Jane Seymour? Who was the young boy brought out to sing?

• Advertisement

thats her son. he sang in the support band Plead The Fifth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

NIBBS wrote: »
    How could you not get a few picks ;-)
    I've never seen anything like that, and never seen anyone able to hit the seats upstairs with ease throwing them, when he finished throwing out a full mic stand of them I was watching Zander, turned back and there he's another mic stand full of them :D class

I watched the roadie doing it, there was basically a holder that all the picks were stuck onto that clipped to the mic stand. Unclipped one and clipped the fresh one on, hey presto, full stand of clips again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Yep, I knew she'd be there, and saw her around the Olympia when I went up to collect my ticket, but for her just to be out on the main floor just chillin and talking to people, posing for photos etc......was very cool, she told me her son writes all the stuff for the band, pretty cool as he's only 15......

yeah blast I guessed that was the setup, thought I saw him give a pick back to the roadie at one stage (like, no way that's one of the cheap ones :p )

thats her son. he sang in the support band Plead The Fifth
    Glad I missed that. He seemed to have zero stage presence

Glad I missed that. He seemed to have zero stage presence
    cut him some slack. he is only 15. they were fairly poor tho

I thought the show was fantastic! The band were really on top form!!! They played everything I wanted to hear. I got into the pit which was cool. Rick has a good connection with the audience. You would never guess he is a 64 year old jumping around the stage. He is really the front man of the group. I thought it was cool that Rick's son Daxx was playing drums too. I had a blast night seeing these icons! It was filmed too. I wonder when it will be released?

Our HD video, more too come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRvT4ltzRQ8

Setlist

Hello There
    California Man
    Elo Kiddies
    I Want You to Want Me
    These Days
    Clock Strikes Ten
    Lookin' Out for #1
    Tonight It's You
    On Top of the World