Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dalkey Archive

Options
  • 12-02-2011 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I searched threads and found one on Flann O'Brien in general but I still think this is worthy of a new one.

I finished this book recently as I had wanted to get into Flann O'Briens work for a while. But having read it I don't see why it was meant to be so brilliant. The wit was definitely there in some parts; Lawnmower, phonetics, Sergeant Fottrell.

I did enjoy the process of reading it as a whole, but found it anti-climactic. Having let it sink in I suppose that was the aim, having had thoughts of entering the church in his head he instantly turns back on himself at the end. And to be honest I didn't 'get' the whole thing with Joyce. Why did it have to be James Joyce? Why was it necessary for it to be him?

But has something gone completely over my head in how good it's meant to be? I'm not asking to be spoon fed in terms of what makes it good, just opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

The Dalkey Archive isn't the best place to start if you're trying to get into Flann O'Brien. It's arguably his weakest work.

I'm sure you've heard of The Third Policeman and At Swim-Two-Birds, so give them a go if you get a chance. They're both vastly superior to The Dalkey Archive.

The Best of Myles (a compilation of his articles for The Irish Times) is great as well. Probably the funniest book I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

I read At Swim-Two-Birds when I was in college and once I got my head around it, I really enjoyed it.Looking forward to the film version now!

However, a few years later when I started reading The Dalkey Archives, I found it hard to get into. But I persevered and on reflection it's a good read and witty too. In my opinion it's the most lucid (for want of a better word) of what I've read by O'Brien. I loved the James Joyce character and that storyline. Post-modern writings were never intended to be straightforward reads and I try not to read too much into them anymore!

The Third Policeman on the otherhand, I put down one day and haven't picked it back up yet

Advertisement