Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best lectures

Options
  • 12-02-2011 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

What were the best lectures you went to and why? I've a few hours spare this semester and I'm thinking of sitting in on some while I'm there.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Algorithmic Problem Solving (COMP10030) - they were so fun - I used to look forward to the lectures all the time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anything by Declan Downey - History Lecturer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Algorithmic Problem Solving (COMP10030) - they were so fun - I used to look forward to the lectures all the time :o

PIRATES!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Also

Paul Anthony McDermott's law lectures, look forward to his lectures every week, he's hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Anything by Declan Downey - History Lecturer

Apart from all the 'Oh the Tridentine Iberian Empire was the best thing evah!!!!' Well, he was funny, but his crazy bias made his historical merit suspect.

Personally I really thought that France was amazing taking on the Spanish empire - not that I would ever mention anything like that in front of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Diarmuid Ferriter and Paul Rouse are boh fantastic history lecturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

PIRATES!!!!!!

Crossing a bridge with a torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can you post up timetables for these lectures??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

kev9100 wrote: »
    Diarmuid Ferriter and Paul Rouse are boh fantastic history lecturers.

Think that one is on Wednesday's at 2 in Th. L

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Julien Mercille's lectures on Geopolitics can prove fun enough. One morning he came in and talked for 20 minutes about how jungles in the Vietnam War can prove great difficulty for Rambo,but Rambo is determined to get the job done. His impressions of an insane lecturer just before the midterm got one of the biggest laughs I've seen in recent years.

Arnold Horner in any lecture the man had ever did. Unfortunately, I heard he retired and I missed his final lecture due to the weather. That was a great regret of mine. He made Geography of any kind with a humourous wit. The man did a lecture on different types of shovels..SHOVELS!!

And the legendary Simone Schroth is a great laugh in German Political Culture plus Georg Grote (and his stories!) in Third Reich and German Minority in Italy proved to be hours of fun and educational at the same time. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You can view the general timetable for any course/school here - good for finding out where and when lectures are on that you aren't registered to

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/W_WEB_GENERAL_TT.P_TIMETABLE_DEPT?p_sem=2&p_dept=S013&p_subj=A&p_con=A&p_stage=A

(That link may not work - if not, search UCD timetable on google)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

GobBass wrote: »
    Julien Mercille's lectures on Geopolitics can prove fun enough. One morning he came in and talked for 20 minutes about how jungles in the Vietnam War can prove great difficulty for Rambo,but Rambo is determined to get the job done. His impressions of an insane lecturer just before the midterm got one of the biggest laughs I've seen in recent years.

Arnold Horner in any lecture the man had ever did. Unfortunately, I heard he retired and I missed his final lecture due to the weather. That was a great regret of mine. He made Geography of any kind with a humourous wit. The man did a lecture on different types of shovels..SHOVELS!!

And the legendary Simone Schroth is a great laugh in German Political Culture plus Georg Grote (and his stories!) in Third Reich and German Minority in Italy proved to be hours of fun and educational at the same time. :D:D

Arnold is a legend. A shame his lectures in first and second year were spoiled for me by constant chatter of immature students. Arnold didn't care at all to shut them up.
    Really enjoying Leon Conway's film studies lectures.
    Veronica Crossa for Geography too, absolutely gorgeous and entertaining to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Oh yeah,Veronica is a babe and very engaging in her classes. Shame the Latin America module this year feels like a history module thus far. But I know it will pick up in the latter stages of the 20th century when all hell breaks loose ;). Honorable mention goes to Harvey O'Brien for threatening to leave UCD unless he got new "technology" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

John Feehan in Agriculture, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

After chinese new year last year Yaqian Zhao showed us a ~10 minute video of the new year celebrations from chinese tv. There was also pics in his lecture slides.

Odd for a fluid mechanics lecture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Applied Ethics, Mondays at 12 and Wednesdays at 11, all about death, its gift. Cowley for life

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LiamOSullivan

Robert Osburn.
    Edward Cox.

Those are amazing lecturers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Robert Osburn.
    Edward Cox.

Those are amazing lecturers. :D

This mans hair is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LiamOSullivan

I nearly cried when he shaved. :(

I don't know if he's an amazing lecturer or gives amazing lectures or not, but he gave a great speech in December 2009 (I graduated the next day and didn't see this until now). All I can say is it's pretty powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

El Siglo wrote: »
    I don't know if he's an amazing lecturer or gives amazing lectures or not, but he gave a great speech in December 2009 (I graduated the next day and didn't see this until now). All I can say is it's pretty powerful.

Ha, didnt realise that speech was online. I saw myself in it around 9:31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

He's always awesome. I swear, after his lecture on 1916 everyone was almost in a trance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

kev9100 wrote: »
    He's always awesome. I swear, after his lecture on 1916 everyone was almost in a trance.

He was good but he spoke too bloody fast to take half decent notes :p

He's an absolute legend. What he says, goes beyond the usual rhetoric of patting yourself on the back but more that we have the minds to build up the country again. Really, stirring and more of what we need to hear as opposed to the usual spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

He's an absolute legend. What he says, goes beyond the usual rhetoric of patting yourself on the back but more that we have the minds to build up the country again. Really, stirring and more of what we need to hear as opposed to the usual spin.

I saw a poster around campus for some talk/debate with him about Ireland's future. I'm not sure about the details but I think it is this week.

His lectures are really really good. Everyone should go to them if they get a chance. I wish I had recorded them last year as i missed a good bit while I was trying to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

You can't beat a Geography Lecture with Arnold Horner

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Applied Ethics, Mondays at 12 and Wednesdays at 11, all about death, its gift. Cowley for life

Aw yeah...I have Christopher Cowley for Moral Philosophy. He's hilarious and such a good lecturer. One of the few classes that I won't skip under any circumstances. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Economics of Social Policy with Brian Nolan. On in the arts block. Really interesting lecture on how health systems, housing policies and other things actually work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daniels sister

Kieran Allen is my hero.....I'm a first year and got a+ in sociology.
    He presents info so well and makes it so inviting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Kieran Allen is my hero.....I'm a first year and got a+ in sociology.
    He presents info so well and makes it so inviting....

Disagree. Foundations of Sociology bored the shít out of me last semester. Introduction to Sociology is a much better module.

Advertisement