Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best lectures

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

El Siglo wrote: »
    I don't know if he's an amazing lecturer or gives amazing lectures or not, but he gave a great speech in December 2009 (I graduated the next day and didn't see this until now). All I can say is it's pretty powerful.

Misquoting Margaret Thather though (@7.00)... ohh... what an academic mistake! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

just to be different - financial statement analysis - if anybody wants to find out how some companies cook the stats - and why some share prices are too high or too low come to this. 9 on friday theatre p. it gets a bit complicated after half an hour - its a 2 hour lecture with a break in the middle - but if you want to understand better what happened to anglo and other companies that are in the news and political debates on a regular basis come to this lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Misquoting Margaret Thatcher though (@7.00)... ohh... what an academic mistake! :D

Thatcher said in 1987; "They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families." He wasn't directly quoting Thatcher, he was paraphrasing or referring to her statement in general terms (i.e. he was talking about her statement in past-tense in context to Ireland in the 1980s). I wouldn't consider that to be "an academic mistake"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

There is a public lecture being given by 2 speakers on the current situation in Egypt tomorrow in Th. P at 2 pm.

Should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

El Siglo wrote: »
    Thatcher said in 1987; "They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families." He wasn't directly quoting Thatcher, he was paraphrasing or referring to her statement in general terms (i.e. he was talking about her statement in past-tense in context to Ireland in the 1980s). I wouldn't consider that to be "an academic mistake"...

The question of what's an academic mistake can become quite a loose debate when context and tone come into it but I think his use of the word 'arrogantly' influences the nature of the paraphrase a lot and does the original speaker an injustice.

Mrs Thatcher was referring to a general incapacity among people to accept responsibility for their individual decisions. Society is merely an abstraction to describe a broad collection of individuals, and she was quite legitimate in drawing attention to the abrogation of individual responsibility the use of the term can encourage. In its original context the point was logically made and I think it is unfair to describe its use as 'arrogant' as is done in this speech.

If a key role of an academic is to be true to original sources then I think there is an argument that Diarmaid slipped up in this instance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement