Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red wine - keep or dump?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hello,
    Just after cleaning out the wine press and I have a collection of red, as I am a fan of white the red has been pushed to the back of the press, but before I pass it on to friends or family I'd like to see if its ok first, some bottles are 13 years old. Is there a web site I can check out or someone in Ireland I could talk to?

Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Most wine available in normal off licenses and supermarkets is sold "ready to drink". Unless, otherwise stated the chances of it improving much with age are limited.

So first off, check the label and see if it says anything about ageing. A good merlot or Bordeaux can be left for around 15 years and be expected to improve.

Unless you paid a bit of money for them at the time of purchase and think they might be of value now there's probably not much point taking them to an expert or anything so you might as well crack one open and have a taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Why not tell us here what vineyard there from etc and the years on them we might be able to tell you if theres any worth drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FrankGold

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay. Here are some of the wines -
    Le Merlot vin de pays d'oc
    MontGras Cabernet Sauvignon '09
    Wolf Blass Red label
    Caves Saint-Pierre Cotes du Rhone preference '04
    Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Merlot '08
    Chateau Pesquine Cotes du ventoux '02
    Caves Saint Pierre Chateauneuf du Pape prefernce '05
    Ernest & Julio Gallo Sierra Valley '05
    Bordeaux Reserve Appellation Bordeaux Controlee '00
    Moutes Cabernet Sauvignon '07
    Santa Helena Varietal Cabernet Sauvignon '08
    Rioja Bordon Grianza '98
    Cellier du Rhone Cotes du Rhone Millesime '07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whelehanswines

Hi Frank,

Follows is a general evaluation of the wines below:

Le Merlot vin de pays d'oc (Most likely too old)
    MontGras Cabernet Sauvignon '09 (Fine for another 1 year)
    Wolf Blass Red label (Not showing vintage - most likely good for another 1-2 years)
    Caves Saint-Pierre Cotes du Rhone preference '04 (Most likely too old)
    Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Merlot '08 (For drinking up)
    Chateau Pesquine Cotes du ventoux '02 (Definitely too old)
    Caves Saint Pierre Chateauneuf du Pape prefernce '05 (Should be good for 1-3 more years)
    Ernest & Julio Gallo Sierra Valley '05 (Drinking up)
    Bordeaux Reserve Appellation Bordeaux Controlee '00 (Most likely too old, even though 2000 was a great Bordeaux vintage, worth tasting)
    Montes Cabernet Sauvignon '07 (Probably just turning - drink up)
    Santa Helena Varietal Cabernet Sauvignon '08 (Good for another 1-2 years)
    Rioja Bordon Grianza '98 (Although good Rioja Vintage as it is a crianza it is probably a bit tired, worth tasting)
    Cellier du Rhone Cotes du Rhone Millesime '07. (Good for another 1-2 years max)

Hope this helps!

Advertisement