Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawrence Beach Club

Options
  • 12-02-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Quite a long shot, but has anyone ever worked at this place?

It's on Long Island beach in New York. May be there for the summer, so just looking for advice from anyone who may have worked there previously on what it's like etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Grainne101

Didn't work for LBC, but worked for Atlantic Beach Club its neighbour. Best summer EVER!!! You will not regret the decision to go work in these clubs, I did hear some negative stuff about the staff housing, but that was a few years ago so things may have improved.

Best of luck, would def recommend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

Yeah I worked there in the summer 2003, I had a great time there. If your still interested in the info pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CharlieSheen

Hi,

Did you end up working there in the end?
    I worked there summer 2009,best summer of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 J1Ruthierags

I applied to work there this summer, worried that I won't be getting the full j1 experience. What's it ,like? Did you get any traveling in?

Hey,

You'll have the best summer of your life and the best J1 experience possible!
    Yeah we got some travelling done, went to both Boston and Washington.
    Some of the girls we worked with went to Vegas/San Fran at the end for a week or so (pay like $10 a day rent but get it all back at the end as long as your room is clean) plus bonuses from some of the members and the club itself. The club begins to quieten down in late August, so ask them if it would be possible if you could leave in early September, they'll probably be cool with it.

I much preferred what I did to living in some ****ty house with 50 others not having a penny. We were getting about $250 a week with free food pretty much all week (bar your days off!), literally blew most of my money on booze cuz we were out all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cassie101

Hey,
    I just got offered a job in Lawrence Beach Club but i would be going on my own. Did anyone go on their or in groups? Would ye recommend people to go on their own?

You should go on your own.
    The year I went a few people went on their own. I went with another lad, we instantly made friends with everyone, it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tommydobbs

going there this year too on my own! are they nice to work for??.. they seemed fairly decent at the interview in college :) and what are the people you serve generally like..? sounds like a posh spot like

Yeah they'd be mostly millionaires and billionaires, but some the nicest people I've ever met who will be very nice to you if you're nice to them/

E.g one guy when we were leaving gave us a $100 tip, one guy gave us sunglasses worth about $200, taken for a meal in a sweet persian restaurant Manhattan by one couple and then bought us drinks for a good while and a good few more!

People we work for:
    - Not sure if Bill and Kathy are still there. Bill is similar to the old guy from Gran Torino. Try to avoid him really, but he's nice if you work hard etc. Kathy is lovely
    - Bruce and Karen - very nice. Again if you work hard and stuff they'll be nice to you.
    - Edwin - legend. Go for beers with him and he'll tell some stories. An absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ashlynn11752

thank god there's other people going over alone too!!was convinced I'd be surrounded by groups.what is the accomodation like does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tommydobbs

http://prezi.com/oxmrip1wx57a/lawrence-beach-club/[/URL]
    heres a link to a slideshow about the place :D

Accommodation is fine, dorm style with bunk beds with like a big long common room in the middle that has a table. It's good fun when everyone hangs out there. They say you cant drink there, but you can really, they don't mind really!

Ah I wish I was going back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CLAIREFI

Glad to hear there's others heading over on their own! My sister has been there the last two summers and is gutted she can't go again this year. Was happy to take her place....She has nothing negative to say about it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Are all you guys going as part of a J1?

Sounds like good fun, nice bit of money and your close enough that you can visit NYC but not have to live in it ( and therefore escape the blistering heat of the city!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CLAIREFI

Ya im on a j1! ya exactly, best of both worlds really

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Karlmartini1

That place really brings back memories! I did my J1 there in the summer of 1994 and from the looks of the photos absolutely nothing has changed. Whats amazing is how little the wages have gone up for the summer staff. I used to get around $5.50 an hour. It's only gone up $3 in 20 years. I'm not sure if Bill Rugolski is still the general manager. I ate his dinner accidentally in the first week (staff could eat uneaten meals from weddings etc) and he bullied me for the whole summer. A real thug of a man.

Apart from that you'll have a blast. No worries about money because room and board is paid for. It is hard, physical work in the heat but you'll get fit, especially if you're a beach boy bringing out chairs and umbrellas for the members. No tips though :-(

It is a bit difficult to get into the city though. It's too far to go on a night out so you'll have to enjoy Long Beach. I thaught it was great fun but it is a bit trashy.

Look for my name (Karl Martini) carved into the wood in the snack hut by the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MeganOMahony

Just got offered a position in the Atlantic Beach Club... Anyone have any good information on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jennybells24

Going here this summer!!! Going on my own!! Anyone else worked here?? what are the hours like what is the nightlife like? are people friendly :D Ahhhh so nervous now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chobba

Goin to Lawrence beach club this summer, has anyone been there recently in the past year or so ? Most recent posts on here has been from 4 years ago... Or anyone else goin over this summer ?

Advertisement