Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sending Word doc with Mac?

• 12-02-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I need help!
    My Cv was written on (or with) Word- I now have a Mac but I had my Cv attached to an email in my hotmail account.
    I can't open it with the Mac but I thought if I attached it to a job application the receiver would be able to read it but I'm after getting an email to say they can't open my attachment ( file is named madoncv.doc)
    How can I send a Word doc with a Mac?
    I'm very computer unsavvy so I need basic instruction please! And Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

http://www.libreoffice.org/ should open it and you can export to pdf.

I tend to send CVs as pdf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It sounds like the file has been corrupted, possibly when you detached it from the e-mail and pulled it into the Mac. I suggest you go to the e-mail which contains the attachment and Forward the whole e-mail to a friend who has a Windows PC with MS Office installed, ask them to open it in Word and save it as a PDF, then attach it to an e-mail and send it back to you.

If the people you sent the file to can't open it then there's no point in you installing new s/w because if someone with MS Word can't open it you certainly won't be able to open it with a 3rd party product like OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I'm waiting for an email back hopefully changed to pdf. I better get the job now!
    Thanks for the replies- I could be back though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

madon wrote: »
    I'm waiting for an email back hopefully changed to pdf. I better get the job now!
    Thanks for the replies- I could be back though!

Download it, and convert to PDF here - www.freepdfconvert.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

http://www.primopdf.com/download.aspx

A great pdf printer and its free (if you are not too familiar it installs as anther printer so you can print a file (saves the file as a pdf) as a pdf in whatever quality you need.

• Advertisement

maringo wrote: »
    http://www.primopdf.com/download.aspx

A great pdf printer and its free (if you are not too familiar it installs as anther printer so you can print a file (saves the file as a pdf) as a pdf in whatever quality you need.

Useless on a Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Yep, forgot that sorry. I use acrobat prof. on my mac - primo pdf on my pc :o

maringo wrote: »
    Yep, forgot that sorry. I use acrobat prof. on my mac - primo pdf on my pc :o

Primo do also offer the online conversion (.doc but not .docx).

http://www.primopdf.com/online.aspx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You should be able to open doc and docx files in OS X easily enough with TextEdit. The formatting might not all be there but it should open okay for the most part.

There are plenty of good free editors that you could use to redraft your CV and print directly to PDF natively within OS X. Bean is a great option.

By any chance could the web page that I am trying to attach my CV too be corrupting the file. I have resaved my CV to both pdf and htl which it should allow, although I can attach it to an email I can't attach it to this site it either won't allow me or if it does allow it the cv is all over the place.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Web page?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

OP, my suggestion would be to manually add ".doc" to the filename before you send it - sometimes e-mail clients seem to strip off the filetype info from Mac files.

Web page?

Sorry- yeah its the companies own recruitment web site I had to attach the CV to the application.
    Tordelback wrote: »
    OP, my suggestion would be to manually add ".doc" to the filename before you send it - sometimes e-mail clients seem to strip off the filetype info from Mac files.

The original CV was in .doc format, I got a lend of windows laptop and used that this evening to try reattach the CV but it won't let me so I don't know if it is a problem with windows/ Mac.

Just convert to PDF, it is the best format for... eh.. portable documents...

Advertisement