Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding a bog Field

• 12-02-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for advice here i have a 6 acre field that was reclaimed around 1980 it was origanally bog its been fine up to now put there were alot of thistles in it last year
    Also over the years the bog has sagged and im looking to removed old bog oak and stones that have come to the surface wanted i want to know is is it possible to reseed a field that was reclaimed from bog and get a good result grass wise?

And would the ground be suitable for silage afterwards? any help would e great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

There are a few variables with bog, but if it was fine before, it's likely that it could again be made fine, with work. I know if I seen it I'd know what could be done with it, as would many other posters on here. In the midlands there is plenty of reclaimed bogland producing gress, and being baled for silage, when conditions allow.
    I don't know is the bogland in Mayo any different?
    The recent few wet summers were difficult on boggy ground and making silage was a nightmare in some places, even impossible. In a normal year though it can easily be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Hi,

Last year I reseeded a field that was reclaimed in the late 70's. Was very similar to yours, bog had settled and was very uneven with bog oak and stones coming through, wasn't producing much grass.

We cleaned the drains, ploughed and power harrowed it. Reseeded it and got a nice crop of silage off it last August.
    The surface will be easily broken the first year so dual wheels would be advised just to protect it and better not to let cattle on it until year two.

I was advised to sow some oats to give a good crop the first year so I mixed some oats with the grass seed. This produced a great crop of oats through the grass which we cut whole just before they ripened and baled for silage. If you're doing this look for a short straw variety to cut down on the amount of straw in the bales.

Hope this helps, Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cycling is fun

Hi Guys thanks for advice glad that it worked out for you countryJimbo so should hopefully work out for me also im hoping when i do it this time that it works out also hoping that i would be able to use the ground for silage year after year thanks again for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Hi Guys thanks for advice glad that it worked out for you countryJimbo so should hopefully work out for me also im hoping when i do it this time that it works out also hoping that i would be able to use the ground for silage year after year thanks again for the advice

well,

so did it work?

do you know, can any bog land be reclaimed? thinking of buying 20 acres of fairly boggy land - for small money. is it worth it? Will i be able to make a resonable good place of it - to keep a few cattle?
    I have all my own digers, and tractors and the lot...but never reclaimed bog before? if its so easy, why dont everyone do it, and make farming land from bogland?
    Jo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

jocotty wrote: »
    well,

I have all my own digers, and tractors and the lot...but never reclaimed bog before? if its so easy, why dont everyone do it, and make farming land from bogland?
    Jo

Well it takes alot of time and money to get it into usable condition and even then, wet summers and winters make such areas often useless for the likes of cattle and operating machinery like Silage trailers etc.. Plus it requires alot more general maintance then conventional farmland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement