Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

fionny wrote: »
    Even a Jailbroken iphone is a pain to use, ever time there was an update you had to either wait for a new jailbreak or go back to stock ios. You had itunes forced down your throat.

Cydia was awful to use it took so long to install or remove anything with it! Once I moved to android and saw the difference I swore that it would take something very very special indeed to bring me back inside apple's walled garden...

Besides the iphone 4 was a broken design.... antenna-gate anyone... eitherway fruitfans will be fruitfans.

Me and u gonna have to start a faction, I'm agreeing with all ur posts fionny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Especially as when apple relaunched themselves many years ago they took moral high ground over micro soft saying they would give u total control unlike micro soft trying to control everything! Talk about hypocrites

What?

What?

What u mean what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

oh how these days are passing slowly

everybody has an iphone and i have a sony ericsson w200i :(

i feel like cartman when he had to wait for the wii

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Went to Carphone Warehouse who also confirmed June 1st all Networks. He didn't know exact prices yet but said it would be similar to iPhone prices. We'll see next wednesday

rh5555 wrote: »
    Went to Carphone Warehouse who also confirmed June 1st all Networks. He didn't know exact prices yet but said it would be similar to iPhone prices. We'll see next wednesday

See I tell no lies, if I didn't trust my source I wouldn't have opened my sizable mouth! And to previous post I say yes cartman syndrome here also, might go home and gnaw on the sofa like a bold petulent puppy :(
    then again I may not, so there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

If this comes in at under 500 I might be tempted to get it, its so damn close to the sensation its ridiculous it really is tit for tat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Does anyone else think it seems unlikely Metoer will release this phone on Wednesday? I mean why would any company not advertise the release date for such a major handset.

They would gain a lot of customers from other networks but instead they are losing them and their own. :confused:

Becuase all irish networks are **** when it comes to smartphones, it just happens meteor is ****ter when it comes to the actual handsets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Maybe something to note for those deciding between the galaxy s2 and the sensation. The sensation has a locked bootloader which will mean no custom roms until this is unlocked. This appears to be difficult but probably will be done eventually. There's a comment on facebook from htc about them possibly reconsidering their policy on locking bootloaders. The bootloader on the galaxy s2 appears to be unlocked according to some web sites.

hmm thats odd - i thought Motorola and samsung did that and htc did not, although it depends on the phone i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sensation is locked down pretty tightly. SGS2 is pretty much the opposite I believe.

well that just pushed up the level i am willing to pay for the s2 by a bit - so i should be buying it on wednesday providing they dont take the piss.

what do people reckon the payg price will be?

sensation is 450 - will the s2 be 500 or more?

Somewhere between lots and heaps :P

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-review/

that says they got over 20 hours battery life… can someone confirm this?

so day to day it should get through a day from 7 to 9 easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Just seen that the SGSII is the first Droid to topple the iPhone4 in the sales charts, best selling phone this month, handily beating the others. Good to see this handset doing well, it deserves to.

One of the few things you would say about this phone is that it does not have a great feeling in the hand. Say what you will about the iPhone4, but the second you held it is felt solid, substantial, premium and expensive. The SGS II looses out in that way, it looks and feels a bit like an overgrown Tocco Lite, which is a bit disappointing given the price. This is unfortunate as in most other ways handily beats the iPhone, IMHO. Something for Samsung to improve on for SGS III. Personally I'd rather they spent the money on that than a gimicky 3D screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-review/

that says they got over 20 hours battery life… can someone confirm this?

so day to day it should get through a day from 7 to 9 easily?

Yeah, I get about 30 hours with this one and that's including the new-gadget effect, so 20 hours is easily attainable.

Edit: That's on about 50% brightness which is plenty, except for the brightest sunlight. The SAMOLED screen works surprisingly well outdoors.

Edit 2: I have both devices with me so feel free to pose me some questions. (disclaimer: I write for androidpolice.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Baza: looking for second opinion. Never had smartphone before and wondering should I get S2 or Sensation? Which in your opinion is the better phone?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Baza: looking for second opinion. Never had smartphone before and wondering should I get S2 or Sensation? Which in your opinion is the better phone?

Right now I feel that the S2 is technically a better phone. But the Sensation may well be more suitable for someone new to smartphones like yourself. HTC have done a lot of work on the Software side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭RonnieL

At this stage I'm wondering if the operators are playing a game of chicken with respect to the pricing on the S2 i.e. they're all stalling in the hope they can undercut the opposition at the last minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Baza210 wrote: »

Edit 2: I have both devices with me so feel free to pose me some questions. (disclaimer: I write for androidpolice.com)

Hi Baza,

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

Given HTC's recent about turn on the bootloader issue, do you reckon that the Sensation will get an update which will unlock the bootloader?

I have a Desire with a custom ROM on it and I didn't keep Sense on it for long, I prefer Launcher Pro anyway. Whichever of these phones I get, I will most likely do the same so I don't care about which launcher is currently on them. For someone in my position, which of the two phones would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Hi Baza,

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

Given HTC's recent about turn on the bootloader issue, do you reckon that the Sensation will get an update which will unlock the bootloader?

I have a Desire with a custom ROM on it and I didn't keep Sense on it for long, I prefer Launcher Pro anyway. Whichever of these phones I get, I will most likely do the same so I don't care about which launcher is currently on them. For someone in my position, which of the two phones would you recommend?

Im in the same boat as you right down to the desire... I will be going for the GS2 still as its unlocked from day one where as HTC have not promised to unlock the already locked phones.

Also I think the GS2 is better specc'ed with a better battery and space, the screen is supposedly amazing and looks wise the gs2 wins hands down in my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Im in the same boat as you right down to the desire... I will be going for the GS2 still as its unlocked from day one where as HTC have not promised to unlock the already locked phones.

Also I think the GS2 is better specc'ed with a better battery and space, the screen is supposedly amazing and looks wise the gs2 wins hands down in my opinion...

I reckon you're right about all of that but I have been fighting that reasoning for days because I was convinced all along that I would be getting the Sensation. :)
    I'm disappointed that HTC are coming second to Samsung and I would have liked another HTC but I fear that if I want the more powerful device it will have to be the Samsung.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I reckon you're right about all of that but I have been fighting that reasoning for days because I was convinced all along that I would be getting the Sensation. :)
    I'm disappointed that HTC are coming second to Samsung and I would have liked another HTC but I fear that if I want the more powerful device it will have to be the Samsung.

Opposite here, im glad to be getting away from HTC at the minute I dont think HTC make good looking handsets and they always slack behind on their spec's especially battery...

• Advertisement

Personally Im not a big fan of sense. It touches many aspects of the phone and affects usability majorly, IMHO. Sometimes you find yourself interacting with Sense, sometimes Android and it can be inconsistent, as HTC have changed some menu options / commands, but not others. Worse HTC ship phones with ridiculously small batteries and Sense just makes this worse.

TouchWiz 4.0 on the SGS2 has some good points, and is much more true to Stock Android than Sense it. Sense is pretty, but at the expense of usability, IMHO. TouchWiz can be almost entirely replaced with your launcher of choice, Im using LauncherPro and it is excellent, Im more than happy with it. Funny the highly lauded Desire and Sense drove me to distraction and turned me off Android completely. The SGSII has completely turned my opinion. To me it feels like HTC lean a fair bit on their strong developer following, while Samsung have shipped a functional phone that works in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God I love amazon, the postage is just super

Got the phone today, its charging so I didnt play with it yet but im shocked by how light it is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Headshot wrote: »
    God I love amazon, the postage is just super

Got the phone today, its charging so I didnt play with it yet but im shocked by how light it is :D

Jeez that's some good will power!

Expecting a review by close of business :)

Amazon are a brilliant company to deal with, I have totally stopped dealing with play with their over pricing and ridiculously long postage times... when amazon say they have shipped something it normally arrives within 2 working days. With Play if they say its shipped expect its 5-6days later.

Also Amazon's customer service is superb... best of luck with the phone ya lucky git!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

My Plan was to buy the sgs2 and then at some point buy an android tablet.

I was hoping to be able to tether the tablet to the galaxy s2 via wifi.

I read on the other thread that this will not be possible because the galaxy only does adhoc tethering. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

If it is then I may have to get a HTC phone.

• Advertisement

There is ways and means of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Is this something new with the SG2? The SG1 connects perfectly with the asus eee pad so unless its specific to the sg2.

Either way I plan on getting cm7 eventually onto the sg2 and should be all sorted then.

marathont wrote: »
    My Plan was to buy the sgs2 and then at some point buy an android tablet.

I was hoping to be able to tether the tablet to the galaxy s2 via wifi.

I read on the other thread that this will not be possible because the galaxy only does adhoc tethering. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

If it is then I may have to get a HTC phone.

Well it seems we no know why meteor havent done any work on the gs2 yet... because they have been wasting their time working up to releasing a year old piece of flawed design hardware with a picture of fruit on the back... i mean really who cares... its going to be replaced in a few months time.

elderlemon wrote: »
    Is this something new with the SG2? The SG1 connects perfectly with the asus eee pad so unless its specific to the sg2.

Either way I plan on getting cm7 eventually onto the sg2 and should be all sorted then.

To be honest I think this is old news that some fella has latched onto.

elderlemon wrote: »

Im not sure what this is about, as My SGS II can create a WiFi hotspot. I've connected my iPad and laptop to it. It worked flawlessly.
    because they have been wasting their time working up to releasing a year old piece of flawed design hardware with a picture of fruit on the back... i mean really who cares... its going to be replaced in a few months time.
    Geeez, bitter much? I doubt these are in any way linked. Surely Meteor can manage introducing more than one handset at a time? Oh yes, thats right all evils in the world are Apple's fault.
    Choice is good for customers and platforms. The iPhone 4 might be year old and the specs look a wee bit shabby compared to the SGS II and Sensation, but the iPhone 4 has the measure of most of the rest. iOS is an excellent, capable platform but no one will force you to use it. Calm down and get on with your life.

plugged the phone into the pc there but windows cant find the cdc serial driver?

bd250110 wrote: »
    Geeez, bitter much? I doubt these are in any way linked. Surely Meteor can manage introducing more than one handset at a time? Oh yes, thats right all evils in the world are Apple's fault.
    Choice is good for customers and platforms. The iPhone 4 might be year old and the specs look a wee bit shabby compared to the SGS II and Sensation, but the iPhone 4 has the measure of most of the rest. iOS is an excellent, capable platform but no one will force you to use it. Calm down and get on with your life.

Clearly they are not capable working out pricing are they... the iphone is only the benchmark because sheeple keep buying BROKEN hardware simply because of that bloody logo (credit to apple's marketing dept here), ya thats right a phone that you cant hold without a case unless you use a special grip and an OS that forces you to do things apple's way.

I am fully entitled to dislike apple and I have every reason to do so having previously owned an iphone for around 18months and also having owned an apple imac and have a very strong knowledge of apple's appaling practice and rubbish locked down os.

You are of course also entitled to your opinion.

im getting these problems

mGtV5.png

anyone know whats up?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

It doesn't really make much sense that we have the GSII, a brand new, top class phone, and there hasn't been a word from any of the networks about a release date or pricing.
    Surely Meteor they could have a done something similar to what they're doing with the IPhone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Headshot wrote: »
    im getting these problems

mGtV5.png

anyone know whats up?

I think KIES installs those for you?
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobilesoftwaremanual/mobilesoftwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE.MANUAL

• Advertisement

OK fionny, thats fine.
    I would say that the iPhone 4 hardware works just fine. I had mine for 14 months and never had an attenuation problem, I didn't have a case either. I sold many, many iPhone 4s and I did not have one customer come back wanting a refund for this issue, which was massively overblown. It is demonstrable on most, if not all handsets. Simple physics really.
    If Meteor can't get their house in order that is something you need to take up with them, not mindlessly blame an independent third party. The only network we have seen prices from is 3, what are o2, Tesco, Voda's excuses? No stock availability on any network. Could this be something to do with Samsung - maybe preferentially shipping handsets to larger markets?
    It's not just marketing that makes people buy iPhone, it's not cause they are cheap either. People like what they see when they play with an iPhone. All the snazzy marketing in the world can't sell an awful / disliked product. Just as Nokia. In all fairness marketing for iPhone is hardly wall-to-wall, although breathless media coverage is - particularly in America.

More than ever it is personal preference. What I miss about my iPhone is the security, constant back-ups, the app store and iTunes integration. But i have gained customisation and more scree real estate. I haven't found the SGS II necessarily better than the iPhone, just different. These are small things, it's personal taste really.

alanucc wrote: »

I downloaded that too

so hopefully it does the job, thanks anyway

You can wirlessly backup android or use app's like titanium backup which backup everything.

The only thing i miss from the iphone is the keyboard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

yeah I agree. I think although the release date is June 1st to Irish networks, I have a feeling we are not going to see it for another few weeks. I hope I am wrong because I can't bloody wait much longer....need to ditch this iphone 3g. But I do think it is very odd that none of the networks are even starting to hype this up, advertise it or announce price plans.

Dimithy wrote: »
    It doesn't really make much sense that we have the GSII, a brand new, top class phone, and there hasn't been a word from any of the networks about a release date or pricing.
    Surely Meteor they could have a done something similar to what they're doing with the IPhone now?

When was the last time you saw a network hype an unreleased phone? They didnt even do it for the iphone much until it was released... they never do it.

Em ios does work perfectly well, it's apple that's the problem, they won't allow u to use it or ur phone to their potential, and as for folks buying iPhones due to personal taste? Well 3 are ramming free ones down peoples throats, I know loads of folks who got em and not one of em has a clue about phones. Anyone I know who knows bout phones or has previously owned an iPhone wants an android, all the guys I know in cw prefer android and most reckon a lot of folks who now buy iphones just won't be told and no matter what will buy just to have the a for mentioned lil peice of fruit on the back. Oh yeah and forgive me if I'm wrong but ain't the FCC checking apple out in the states for dodgy practices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Lads who gives a ****e about the Apple ios, I keep checking back here for updates on the S2 getting released and having to wade through all the Apple crap is annoying

Apple & Samsung, completely different suppliers to Meteor, one won't delay the other.

nm wrote: »
    Lads who gives a ****e about the Apple ios, I keep checking back here for updates on the S2 getting released and having to wade through all the Apple crap is annoying

Apple & Samsung, completely different suppliers to Meteor, one won't delay the other.

U know wot ur right I'm sorry I'll endevour not to cluter this up with apple v samsung no more, I posted yesterday, gs2 all networks on wed, confirmed by a source I trust, also confirmed by a source in cw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Samsung GSII facebook responded to a comment I left about meteor launch date and said as far as they know it's June 1 but best to check with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

HTC have done a volte-face on the bootloader locking, but no information on whether it takes effect for handsets already shipped.

I'll still be going for the GS2 as well..

Advertisement